www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Rear firewall thickness

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 18

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Rear firewall thickness Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

How thick is the rear firewall? Away to fit harnesses so need to drill through for the spreader plates.
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 14

1986 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I don't know exactly but not very. You won't have much problem drilling through from the cabin into the engine bay.

Stuart
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

it's about the same as the rest of the floorpan. spreader plates would be a must.

If you are doing this to a road car then think twice, fixed harnesses are a hassle in the real world. Ticket machines, reaching for things, seeing out at odd junctions and constantly adjusting the harnesses for passengers.

each to their own though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Cheers lads, The bolts i have should be fine then, Yeah i have FIA approved spreader plates. It's for a road car yeah haha, I've had harnesses in an Mr2 before, I loved them [Smile]
Pauln
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 34

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It's been a while since I did this in my Turbo, but I seem to remember that the part of the firewall that I drilled through to keep the shoulder straps close to horizontal was made up of several layers, making it a bit more substantial than the bulk of the floor pan. I've a feeling I also used slightly longer bolts, but I can't be sure.

If you drill through the floor pan to create an inboard lap strap fixing point, it's best to take it as close to the tunnel as you can where the floor pan is thicker due to the way it's constructed. I used an FIA approved rectangular spreader plate rather than the square one, as I found that easier to keep within the thicker floor pan area.

Paul
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for that Paul. I do only have square spreaders
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: