www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Which coolant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighwayStar

Feedback Score: 8

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Which coolant? Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Evening all.
The g/f is off for the w/e to Oxfordshire. I've just checked her pressures and fluids etc and her coolant level is just below the 'LOW' level.
All I currently have available is some Carplan Premium Anti freeze and Coolant. It says on the bottle it's ethylene glycol based and incorporates organic acid technology but thought I'd check with you guys that it's a reasonable substitute for the genuine Toyota stuff. Sound OK to me but as it's not my car I just thought I'd check before I pour some in.

Cheers

R
Ekona

Feedback Score: 0

2004 BMW 6 Series

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Fill it up with some deionised water, then grab a proper bottle of Toyota red after she gets back.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 8

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Forlife is in it.use that.

[email protected]
RST
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 24

2002 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

4Life went out a good while back -they call it Long Life now, it's pretty much no different than red coolant from the likes of Halfords or the factors.
Willenium

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Sorry to drag an old thread up, didn't think it was worth starting a new one for the same topic.

Having just replaced my radiator I'm looking to fill up with fresh coolant. What are your thoughts on using the below?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770511&0&cc5_866

I have heard mixed opinions regarding coolants but I cannot figure out what could be so different between what I have been using and the genuine Toyota item. A brief Google search didn't find me anything about the formulation of Forlife.

Anyone able to offer advice on this at all?

Cheers [thumleft]
Ekona

2004 BMW 6 Series

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

There's two kinds of coolant, red/pink and blue/green. It's probably okay to mix as long as you stick to the correct colour.

For what a bottle of proper Toyota stuff costs, I'd just put that in to be sure.
BenF
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5

2003 Toyota MR2 Mk3 Roadster Turbo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

FWIW, I just used Halfords 'advanced' coolant in my Roadster - just because its more convenient to pick up than my local dealer. Its Red as well, just like Forlife ...
jnoiles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ekona wrote:
For what a bottle of proper Toyota stuff costs, I'd just put that in to be sure.

Genuine question, why? What does Toyota know about keeping ally cold that everyone else doesn't?
jason256

Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I use concentrate millers which is £17 for 5L. I then add deionised water which you can get online in bulk for about £0.25/L. I mix it at 1/3 coolant (good for -20c) as our winters aren't very cold and water is a better coolant for heat capacity and transfer (it just causes corrosion and freezes by itself).

So that's £19.50 for 15L of mixed coolant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils-5-Litres-Of-Red-Alpine-Long-Life-Summer-Coolant-Antifreeze/141736042173?epid=1142160505&hash=item2100205ebd:g:648AAOSw9N1VwHD~:rk:2:pf:0
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: