www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
2005 EP3 Civic Type R

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: 2005 EP3 Civic Type R Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I sold my 5th and final MR2 Turbo a while ago now, build thread here:

https://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=188212

I originally I bought this as a second car to keep the wintery crap off the MR2:

2003 MK4 Golf GTi 2.0. Not worthy of a GTi badge by any stretch of the imagination:

2.0 8V, 115 bhp and 0-60 = 10.5s [Mr. Green]

I sold the MR2 early on in the year, and have been left with the golf since then. And, as a means of transport only, I couldn't fault it. Rust free, well built and a great runner. [thumleft]

However, I craved a quick car again, and became addicted to Auto Trader [Laughing]

pistol pete on here would be able to give testament to my indecisiveness on my next car!

The potentials:

1. Impreza WRX
2. Focus ST
3. Golf MK5 GTi
4. Golf R32
5. EP3 Civic Type R
6. BMW E90 335i
7. E46 BMW M3

After splitting up with the girlfriend of nearly 11 years, sports cars were out as an option, as I wanted one car that did the lot, usable and practical for day to day use and a bit of poke for a weekend blast when in the mood.

Well, the weekend just gone, I went to have a look at a face lift 2005 Cosmic Grey EP3 Civic Type R.

I was always a bit weary of the Civic, as VTEC is high in the rev range aka 'the scream machine' [Laughing]

1 owner from new, full service history and rust free. Took it out for a test drive and that was it, quick enough outside of VTEC, but awesome in it!

Got back to the garage and part exchanged the Golf and drove home in the Type R.

And here she is:

So far, gave it a wash/wax and did a bit of work on the exhaust. Doubt it'd been cleaned since the car was new! Needed 800 grit wet and dry and metal polish. It's come up alright though:

Only a few things I want to do to it:

1. Touch in a few scratches and the 'R' part of the badge on the tailgate which is missing a bit of paint. Already ordered touch up brush pots.

2. Different cat back exhaust and a K&N panel filter.

3. The factory Type R mats have been replaced with some cheap efforts. I've ordered a set of brand new, genuine mats with retaining clip (which is also currently missing).

4. Clean up the engine bay.

And that's it really, aside from those few things, just enjoy it. [thumleft]

Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm; edited 5 times in total
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Small update already [Mr. Green]

These are the offending cheap ass floor mats that were in the car when I bought it:

I found some brand new genuine Type R mats complete with the retaining bracket. I got these bought, and proceeded to remove the crap ones and hoover the car out.

rear one piece mat fitted:

Passenger mat:

And finally, the driver's mat. This car (I don't think) has ever had a retaining bracket fitted. The flap in the carpet was uncut, and there was no plastic insert for the screw to hold the bracket to the chassis.

Bracket fitted:

And finally, drivers mat fitted. No more mat slipping under the pedals! Better than the MR2 effort that kept popping out of the ring in the carpet!

I also went into Honda this afternoon and ordered a replacement locking wheel nut key (as mine was missing when I bought the car) for the grand total of £15. It'll be available for collection tomorrow morning, service!! [Very Happy]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Few updates to keep the thread up to date [Smile]

First up, the red 'R' on the boot lid had seen better days:

I found on ebay, laser cut vinyl inserts for the badge for a couple of quid, so got one ordered. Cleaned the 'R' and got the sticker applied. Much better:

Next, I turned my attention to the stock gearknob, which over 13 years, had been scratched by rings etc. I ordered a D1 spec replacement, which is almost identical, but smoked chrome. Old vs new:

New gearknob fitted has really smartened up the interior:

Nice and weighty at 350g, it's nice to drive with [thumleft]

And finally, I was going to go for an induction kit, but due to the position of the filter, it would be heat soak central, so opted for a replacement air box filter:

I need to see if I can get some replacement airbox screws as they're corroded and look crap [Sad]

Air box dismantled, old filter removed and old vs new:

Yes, the old filter came out with leaves stuck to it [Laughing]

Removed a few leaves from the airbox and fitted the K&N:

I gave the air box lid a clean while it was off the car. And all back together:

I'll give the whole bay a clean at some point, as it needs freshening up.

Next up, I want to go for a cat back exhaust. Pretty sold on the Scorpion system, but can't decide on resonated or non resonated b pipe [Think]

ttfn [Mr. Green]
Draven

Feedback Score: 43

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Most tend to stick with the airbox, i've got a mugen box in my teggy. [thumleft]
pistol pete

Feedback Score: 27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Its a great looking car craig i'm pleased you found the right car...... eventually [Applause] [Applause]
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I bet it's gone within 12 months [Laughing]

Go resonated man, otherwise it sounds like a proper ricer machine
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Draven wrote:
Most tend to stick with the airbox, i've got a mugen box in my teggy. [thumleft]

Yep, it does seem the way! [thumleft]

pistol pete wrote:
Its a great looking car craig i'm pleased you found the right car...... eventually [Applause] [Applause]

Cheers buddy, and thanks for only being a WhatsApp/Phone call away on anything car related!! [Laughing]

androo007 wrote:
I bet it's gone within 12 months [Laughing]

Go resonated man, otherwise it sounds like a proper ricer machine

Nah man, can see me having this thing for a while. Resonated you say, erm.....[Laughing]

Right! Update time [Mr. Green]

Car forums seem dead these days, but for the sake of tracking the updates on the car, I thought I'd give the thread an update.

Since my last post, I have done a bit under the bonnet. I bought a new intake hose:

and mikalor T clamps. I had to trim the hose slightly for a perfect fit. I have also replaced 8 x rusty 10mm bolts with D1 spec ally allen fasteners:

All copper slipped [Smile]

I also replaced the rusty battery brace with a new one. Lastly with the engine bay, was a clean and polish. Looking much better!

Before:

After:

Still a few things to do to finish off.

I have also replaced all 4 drop links, rear arb bushes and removed the rusty rear arb bracket bolts and replaced with new ones. Desperately needs prepping and under-sealing underneath!

Went over to see Simon at YVS as it's been a while, and thought I'd get back in touch. Drop links were most likely originals as they were rusted solid and required angle grinder action on a few of them to get them off.

On a seperate note, I bought a non resonated mid pipe:

However, with the car on ramps 6 foot in the air, we both agreed that it was a bit risky to get a socket on this!

[Laughing]

So the mid pipe came back home with me in the car, and I have since bought this:

a high flow 200 CPI sports cat. I've also bought new gaskets and bolts to go with.

While the car was in the air on the ramps, it was discovered that the osr caliper is binding and the nsf CV boot is split.

So I now have waiting to go on, a set of Brembo rear discs, Brembo rear pads, new caliper and CV boot:

Thought I may as well a quick shot of the car at YVS:

And lastly, a random pic of the clocks at night [Mr. Green]

ttfn [thumleft]
Magic Beans
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 31

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

How shouty is it now?
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Magic Beans wrote:
How shouty is it now?

Don’t know yet mate, all parts are still in my back bedroom [Laughing]
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 5

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

ive got a real hankering for an ep3. Maybe looking at swapping my turbo for one. I did want something a bit more track orientated.

How do you compare them?
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

markstevieandmads wrote:
ive got a real hankering for an ep3. Maybe looking at swapping my turbo for one. I did want something a bit more track orientated.

How do you compare them?

The ep3 is a fantastic little car. I mainly bought this, as since splitting up with the long term gf, I wanted one car that did everything.

Useable, practical daily driver and a little rocket when in the mood [Twisted Evil]

The MR2 was just effortless power, boost from 3K up to red line. This car makes you work for the rewards!

It's also a load of crap about people saying it's slow out of vtec, it isn't. It's still quick enough to make progress, and when you keep it in vtec, it flies [Laughing]

Close ratio 6 speed manual box is nice too, with a slick gearchange at the flick of the wrist.

Plus the K20 engine in vtec sounds fantastic. I really can't wait to get that non-res mid pipe and high flow cat on. Hopefully it'll add more of a snarl to the vtec sounds [Mr. Green]

The driving position is great too, and the factory type r seats work well. Having the gearknob inches from the steering wheel is a great experience too. Surprised more cars haven't put it there!

All in all, it's a great all rounder with a big following and a huge amount of parts available. If you get one though, go for the face-lift 2004 on wards I believe.

I can't see me selling it anytime soon. Happy enough with the factory 200bhp. I'm chasing handling upgrades as opposed to power. A lot of car for little outlay! Go test drive a few and see what you think. [thumleft]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Oh, and the car is full of drinks/cup holders, 4 to be exact! [Laughing]

This being the best!

[Mr. Green]
Draven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I feel cheated, I only have 2 cup holders clearly the DC5 is more Type R [Wink]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Draven wrote:
I feel cheated, I only have 2 cup holders clearly the DC5 is more Type R [Wink]

ooooo, half the cup holder quantity. That's raw Type R that!! [Mr. Green]
Draven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Extra unicorn farts, that's what its about barbie. [thumleft]
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Draven wrote:
Extra unicorn farts, that's what its about barbie. [thumleft]

Indeed it is Gravy, indeed it is! [Laughing]
Draven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Out of interest, what exhaust do you have. I am completely amazed by my Mugen Twinloop. it to me sounds like an old F1 car from 6 to 9k.
craig
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Draven wrote:
Out of interest, what exhaust do you have. I am completely amazed by my Mugen Twinloop. it to me sounds like an old F1 car from 6 to 9k.

Mugen Twin loop, a rare beast instead!

My exhaust stock at the moment mate and past its best!

Going with sports cat and non resonated center pipe pictured above, with stock back box [thumleft]

You should get a thread up on the DC5 [Cool]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: