Peter Gidden - Thumbs up!

We all need a little help or parts for our cars from time to time. Let us know who has helped. Please read the sticky before posting.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Peter Gidden - Thumbs up!

Post by JAAASH »

So, little bit of back story. I've recently been doing a home-brew chargecooler install and decided to have a go at a wire tuck whilst i was at it. Ripped all the engine loom out, untied it all and continued to remove/thin out sections that were no longer necessary (running Link ecu and aftermarket sensors so chopped out diag box, old unused sensor wiring,etc)...or so i thought. Complete noob with wiring btw. Probably wasn't my smartest idea :clown: Fast forward to the weekend just gone and we're at the point where it was all wrapped back up, chargecooler fitted, JAE looming. Let's start her up... whole host of issues, tacho not working, injector stuck shut, alternator had died (car's been sat ~18 months).

Anyway, it wouldn't start. Spent hours with my old man making sure everything was wired up right, which it all seemed to be, mostly. Tacho wire being the only one i cocked up. Sorted that. Sorted the injector. Plenty of juice in the battery.
Finally give in and decide to call Peter. Him and my Dad must have spent the best part of 3 hours on the phone over the day on Tuesday. Looking at wiring diagrams, checking my connectors had all been re-pinned back correctly and going to the right places. Checked the coil. Checked ht leads. Checked plugs. Everything was right, we just weren't getting anywhere near a strong enough spark. After an entire day of chasing potential issues, Peter then asked what type of spark plugs i was running... ngk bkr8iex. Heat grade 8 iridium's. He immediately told me that was going to be my problem. They'd fouled and are a b1tch to get going again after that apparently. Changed the plugs for some copper's and she fired straight into life \:D/
\:D/

Big pat on the back for Peter. Something we were sure was a wiring fault of my doing, turned out to be something as simple as having the wrong grade spark plugs fitted, which we'd totally overlooked.

Big smiles all round. Car MOT'ed and ready for JAE this weekend :mrgreen:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
mr2magic

Re: Peter Gidden - Thumbs up!

Post by mr2magic »

That's why i always work from the result of the problem backwards towards the potential source ;-)

Engine doesn't run. Engine needs air, fuel and spark to run. Are all present?...and so on. Saves enourmous amounts of time. But well done nevertheless.

Return to “Trader Feedback”