To Shim or not to shim that is the question!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

To Shim or not to shim that is the question!

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi fellow IMOC'rs

After replacing wheel nuts, studs, and rounded bolts after my usual garage has a new mechanic ( i use that term loosely)

I use them as the restore classic cars as well as the day to day stuff, and have always been "sympathetic" to the 2, and always done work to a high standard.

But they have lost a customer now with this new chap!

Anyway i digress,, i am installing drilled & grooved discs & of course new pads, one of the calipers had one rusty shim plate, I know there were inner & outer shims previously.

The other side seem ok on initial inspection, will check when i get to that side.

I am about to order more shims / anti squeal shims form my local mr T, but what are your thoughts, (as i have heard people saying they never put them back on)

So does one "Shim" or "Not"

My personal feeling is to put shims back in, but as always interested what you guys think & do

Regards Brian
Last edited by wilkie senior on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
shinny

Re: To Shim or not to shim that is the question!

Post by shinny »

I had squeaky fronts on Cosmos Eagle a decade ago (although I called her Cosmos Kitt back then) and got some new anti-squeal shims from Mr T which sorted it out. I generally aim to run shims when possible. However I'm pretty sure I also run pads without them on occasion without issue... although I will apply copper slip liberally to the back of the pads to prevent squealing. Even when using shims, there will be copper slip on all the non-braking contact areas.
rgb

Post by rgb »

ive always tried to put rusty shims back in but if its a sunday and you've not got the parts they still work
rgb

Post by rgb »

ive always tried to put rusty shims back in but if its a sunday and you've not got the parts they still work
rgb

Post by rgb »

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi i get your point ha ha 3 times joking!

Yeah if its a sunday that tends to dictate what goes back

:-)
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

I try to replace them while still using stock calipers.

Didn't have any on my fronts for about 1000 miles after fitting new brakes, not a sound out of them. then fitted some shims just to make sure.

The daily is stock everything but doesn't have shims because one of the past owners was lazy or broke (prob both) and didn't replace them. There are no noises from it at all and I do lean on them a few times a week. When the pads wear out the next set will get shims.

My old rev1 didn't have any shims for about 4 pad changes. it was thrashed very hard for about 20k a year for 8 years. never had any noises from the brakes while not running shims.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

For the shims, if you means the ones the top and bottom of the pads sit in on the bracket, then yes use em. You can often give em a Todd scrub with a brass brush.

You should only put copper slip under them to stop them Crusting onto the bracket. No grease on the whom to pad contact points as it collects dirt and dust.

Copper grease can also be used on the back of pads to help prevent squeal.

Never copper grease sliders. Use silicone grease, brake soap or even moly.(ceratec works nicely and is cheap from eurocarparts.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi

I have to admit Ive done with & without the Shims / Anti Squeal Shims

The ones i think you mean Above the Rim (Jan?) Pad support plate, as per BGB

Oh yeas alway use them as they will move properly on those rather than the castings, i was meaning the shims between the pads & the Pistons and tuther bit.

I feel better putting all the shims in to be honest, but as above "Sunday" can dictate what & how it goes back together ha ha

Re Copper grease in the sliders yep agree Ive used silicone grease...but as i found out last night (a front caliper) the sliders have siezed and i used silicone grease on them, and the car car not done many miles & certainly not in the rain, I put these on virtually new.

Ive got some Ceramic Grease, (wow love the names of some products) lets see how much better they fair!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Shim, and grease that bad boi.

;) its there for a reason.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

wheres the like button ha ha

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”