www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Wiring ground confirmation

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rossonza
Premium Member



Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 602
Location: West Midlands
Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wiring ground confirmation Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

im re-attaching my grounds and wanted to ensure they're right.

Anything look obviously wrong?



Also I've got this one loop ended ground which attaches to the body of the car, cant figure out for the life of me where the looped end goes, Any ideas?


[Brick wall]
Back to top
User is offline 
mr2magic




Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Posts: 641
Location: Hannover, Germany
Feedback Score: 1

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

First pic isn't ground, it's battery positive.

Second pic is not stock but good enough. Thick ground wire from gearbox to left motor mount

Edit: Is the ground wire from the gearbox going to the starter!? If so...do not do that! Place it somewhere attached to the left motor mount.

Third pic, ringed end goes from same spot on gearbox as second pic across to left chassis rail.
Back to top
User is offline 
rossonza
Premium Member



Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 602
Location: West Midlands
Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

mr2magic wrote:
First pic isn't ground, it's battery positive.

Second pic is not stock but good enough. Thick ground wire from gearbox to left motor mount

Edit: Is the ground wire from the gearbox going to the starter!? If so...do not do that! Place it somewhere attached to the left motor mount.

Third pic, ringed end goes from same spot on gearbox as second pic across to left chassis rail.


perfect thanks, yes just twigged my error putting the earth on the same as the positive from the battery for the starter oops. glad i hadnt hooked the battery up :S

Ok, ill sort these out when i get home.
[thumleft]
Back to top
User is offline 
pbmr2
Premium Member



Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 893

Feedback Score: 12



PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

big ring should go on one of the top 2 gearbox bolts, other end to chassis.

Do not ground the starter from that point! that is the 12v, it's grounded through the gearbox. that's how you fry wiring [Very Happy]

Just think that the gearbox, block and head all want to be grounded to the chassis. that's it really, more decent connections from the block, box and head to the chassis, the better.

Try to find points on the chassis that are a direct bolt in, rather than via a bracket etc. Just makes a better quality ground.

post back up the finished pictures before hooking up the battery. just in case [Very Happy]
Back to top
User is offline 
rossonza
Premium Member



Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 602
Location: West Midlands
Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

pbmr2 wrote:
big ring should go on one of the top 2 gearbox bolts, other end to chassis.

Do not ground the starter from that point! that is the 12v, it's grounded through the gearbox. that's how you fry wiring [Very Happy]

Just think that the gearbox, block and head all want to be grounded to the chassis. that's it really, more decent connections from the block, box and head to the chassis, the better.

Try to find points on the chassis that are a direct bolt in, rather than via a bracket etc. Just makes a better quality ground.

post back up the finished pictures before hooking up the battery. just in case [Very Happy]


will do, attempted to get photos last night but it was too dark and the flash wasnt very helpful on the camera.

ive removed the ground off the starter [Brick wall]
Back to top
User is offline 
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member



Joined: 29 Nov 2010
Posts: 3406

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake with the ground / starter. At least you didn't have a battery connected / try to start it!
Back to top
User is offline 
rossonza
Premium Member



Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 602
Location: West Midlands
Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
You certainly wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake with the ground / starter. At least you didn't have a battery connected / try to start it!


It felt like that's where the wiring wanted to sit naturally. I did think why would I connect the battery terminal to the starter too.

Forgot to say. Looking at the front of the car. Positive battery terminal is on the right yes? Passenger side?
Back to top
User is offline 
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member



Joined: 29 Nov 2010
Posts: 3406

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Positive is the one that doesn't go directly to the chassis. Can't remember which way round they are!
Back to top
User is offline 
abovetherim
Premium Member



Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 561
Location: Leicester
Feedback Score: 6

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Can't look now but i'm sure my positve terminal is on the drivers side.

If in doubt take the battery/frunk liner out and follow the cable back as far as you can and you will find the negative bolted to the body.
Back to top
User is offline 
rossonza
Premium Member



Joined: 20 Dec 2016
Posts: 602
Location: West Midlands
Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

abovetherim wrote:
Can't look now but i'm sure my positve terminal is on the drivers side.

If in doubt take the battery/frunk liner out and follow the cable back as far as you can and you will find the negative bolted to the body.


will take a look later thanks guys! [thumleft]
Back to top
User is offline 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group