www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear trailing arm options - snapped vice

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossonza
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rear trailing arm options - snapped vice Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well... Had a good few days trying to sort my trailing arms out. And I can't get the arm apart. Tried heat. Massive breaker bar. Vice.

Nothings working. Had a look on eBay but they all look similar to mine.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Ross.
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Heating and cooling cycles, penetrating fluid, and an impact gun that has some balls. Your average battery powered one won't cut it.

If it's properly corroded then you need to carefully cut the nut off and hope the threads underneath are OK.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Heating and cooling cycles, penetrating fluid, and an impact gun that has some balls. Your average battery powered one won't cut it.

If it's properly corroded then you need to carefully cut the nut off and hope the threads underneath are OK.

Right. May have to cut the nut then. Eeeeek
abovetherim
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 6

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Run a wire brush on a drill or angle grinder in the exposed threads to clean em out esp into the top of the nut.

Next try a chisel to break the 2 washers apart/away from the bottom of the nut or hacksaw to undercut the nut.

Next heat up and then spray with penetrant (proper penetrant not just wd40)
Then add more penetrant and leave for an hour.

Then rather than leverage use shock, ie an impact gun or podger spanner and hammer

Oh and pray to which ever god floats your boat and curse whatever evil entity you fear
pbmr2
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Did mine while they were still on the car as I remember these being tough to shift. Just cleaned the threads up with a wire brush and then used a decent impact gun. Took quite a while but it did wind off.

The other side was the same.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ok thanks guys. My mates got a snapon rattle gun. I'll see if we can give it a try. Maybe a mixture of heat and rattle
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well.. going my friends tomorrow after work. This came today (didn't realise Amazon prime work bank holidays lol)

So heat and rattle gun using the above is the plan. Wish me luck
pbmr2
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

good luck! should be no trouble.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

After a full day of penetration fluid being applied every odd hour. Heat and a breaker bar / rattle gun it all failed.

We moved onto the air chisel and got the nut off

The crush tube was welded on too with rust. It's eaten away a lot of the threads so this arms basically dead. Great.

There's a pair on eBay. I've messaged the guy to ask if the 24mm nuts are free on them. If they are hopefully I'll be sorted soon.

Just frustrated.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

ebay guys not getting back to me, so presume theyre stuck/he cant be bothered to check them.

since then my friends done a few drawings and i think we may be making our own (hes got a lathe etc in his garage).

could be a fun project [thumleft]
pbmr2
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Even when they are in good condition these nuts are fairly tight!
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

pbmr2 wrote:
Even when they are in good condition these nuts are fairly tight!

sure, mine were just too tight, bloody welded on with rust [Brick wall]
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

well in the end ive had a friend make me some:

Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Wow, those look nice. What are they made from, and how much were they?
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Wow, those look nice. What are they made from, and how much were they?

Definately look better than the stock ones i had dont they [thumleft]

These were just a favour, but hes mentioned hes possibly interested if some people on the forum wanted some.

I ordered the following for him to make them from:
Bright round bar steel 22mm dia
Bright mild steel bar 2 inch dia

I've only paid for the metal which was about £30 of off metalmania.

hes doing the welding tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: