Starting a car after 5 years stood..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

Re: Starting a car after 5 years stood..

Post by markstevieandmads »

I disagree with it being one of the worse jobs.
Just get it equally as high font and back as possible and use the jack to take the weight of the tank.
Make sure the tank is as empty as possible and have two of you either end to give it a wiggle.
Then its a case of just undoing bolts and the fuel lines.

It really isnt that hard. Two of us done it on a drive in a few hours (the under trays was already removed though).
In fact we had to do it twice as got the wiring connections jammed putting it back in.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

markstevieandmads wrote:Dont just go shoving power into wires you dont know!!!

I suspect the one without power is for the fuel level as you wont need power for that im guessing as it would just be a resistance type reading.

If you got power to the other then thats fine, but still doesnt prove if its seized.

As ive suggeste, pop a fuel line off (easiest at filter in connection on the bottom of filter) and see if fuel is coming out. IF not then the pump is goosed.
If its going in the bottom but not the top then filter is knackered.

Nope, the other way round. The 3 pin plug is the level sensor and the 2 pin plug is the pump.

No power to the pump could be the relay sticking or it could be some sort of security device preventing it getting power. immobilisers die too, so it could be a non car issue and just an immobiliser issue. Or just a duff relay.

Before going and taking the tank off, finish testing things.
Removing the tank from a car that has been stood for a long time could be trouble as the undertray bolts will most probably just snap off. Not the end of the world but you have to drill and retap each one and source replacement bolts (use stainless, they don't rust)

Also the fuel pressure line can be very hard to undo, it's easier to take the hose off the chassis that runs to the filter and pull all of that back. Many people have bent or broken the hardline trying to get the hose off the end of it. decent 6 sided spanners really help.

White wire for plug is ground, blue is power.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

pbmr2 wrote:it could be some sort of security device preventing it getting power. immobilisers die too, so it could be a non car issue and just an immobiliser issue. Or just a duff relay.

Good shout.

It does actually have an alarm fob but battery is dead so thats one thing i completely forgot to check.

Will put a new alarm battery in it tomorrow and report.

:thumleft:

Cheers.
p.s. swapped all relay with a friends working car and mine still wouldnt start.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Quick update. I am getting power at the pump connectors [was checking it on ignition only before - didnt realise I had to turn the car to try start and for it to get power :oops: ]

Also when I am faffing about with it the 15amp EFI fuse keeps blowing..?
markstevieandmads

My bet is on the pump has seized and thats why its blowing fuses
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Hoping to get it in at local garage to fix early next week as they are quite busy so will keep the therad updated.

Cheers all for the help :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Pump replacement will be easier on a ramp with something like a gearbox stand to support it
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

JUst wondering where would be the best place to buy a replacement fuel pump for a rev3 turbo.

Would you go new or 2nd hand? Genuine or aftermarket. Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

A little update. Bought a Walboro fuel pump car started up :thumleft:
Although the pump is a little noisy i'm just gald it started.

However a few more jobs noted / to do.

1 - The temp gauge doesnt move at all.
2 - Oil was burning off in the engine bay. POssibly cam seal as plugs were soaked in oil before also.
3 - Rear Caliper sticking

markstevieandmads

Ralliart wrote:A little update. Bought a Walboro fuel pump car started up :thumleft:
Although the pump is a little noisy i'm just gald it started.

However a few more jobs noted / to do.

1 - The temp gauge doesnt move at all.
2 - Oil was burning off in the engine bay. POssibly cam seal as plugs were soaked in oil before also.
3 - Rear Caliper sticking

1. ground the temp wire and if the gauge shoots up then replace the sensor. Only about a fiver.

2. Dry, brittle gaskets i suspect. Replace the cam cover gaskets.

3. Common problem. Either rebuild yourself or get someone like bigredd to do it.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

markstevieandmads wrote:
1. ground the temp wire and if the gauge shoots up then replace the sensor. Only about a fiver.

1 - How :oops:

2 - Ordering tomorrow from Toyota - searched here and seems fairly straight forward to do.

3 - Going to see if I can buy some from a motor factors as I was told the turbo and NA rev3 on are the same

markstevieandmads

The brakes are all the same rev 2 onwards and na and turbo are the same too. Its only the rev1 brakes that are smaller.

Just unplug the plug on the temp sensor (will be single wire one) and short it to ground either by pushing a spare bit of wire into the end of the plug and shorting the other end to metal or use a paperclip or something. Make sure your ignition is on (engine doesnt need to be running)
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Tried grounding it and the gauge didnt shift at all. I take it the sensor in the pic below is the temp sensor [its the only one I could find with s single wire].

Although when I searched ebay for a replacement the sensors had a different plug section. Is the one in my car not original Toyota as the plug thats attacched to it looks a bit DIY aswell as its been joined on further down the wire although shows its getting power to it on ignition..

THanks

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”