Turbo kit!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mk3k20

Turbo kit!!

Post by Mk3k20 »

Hey guys new here just wanted to find out is it possible to run all the turbo components on a rev 3 Na engine? So basically remove the turbo kit from the 3sgte and put it on a 3sge will it work and will I have reliability issues or can I run very less boot and get away with it?

Thanks
fastasfkk

na to turbo

Post by fastasfkk »

Just buy a turbò engine
Dale_V

Re: Turbo kit!!

Post by Dale_V »

pistons are the wrong compression, you could run lower boost, but that's the least of your issues...

manifold ports wouldn't match up
custom turbo oil feed needed
custom coolant feeds to the turbo
clutch to cope with more power

then obviously wiring loom change for ecu, injectors, map sensor etc

Just buy a turbò engine
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yup, you'd basically end up building a 3SGTE the long expensive way around.

It's only worth building a 3SGTE from a 3S block if it's a late block with the strengthened water pump area.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Yup, you'd basically end up building a 3SGTE the long expensive way around.

It's only worth building a 3SGTE from a 3S block if it's a late block with the strengthened water pump area.

thought the rev2's were a decent cast? and it was only early rev 3's which suffered the water pump issue? US guys go on about rev4+ for block though. so ive lost track.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

rossonza wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:Yup, you'd basically end up building a 3SGTE the long expensive way around.

thought the rev2's were a decent cast? and it was only early rev 3's which suffered the water pump issue? US guys go on about rev4+ for block though. so ive lost track.

Late 3S blocks have a redesigned corner there, it's squared off instead of round.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

I cracked a rev2 na block on the water pump area. As gazza says, the rev5 is the only way to be sure
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I cracked a rev2 na block on the water pump area. As gazza says, the rev5 is the only way to be sure

SNAP Done on a turbo block
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Is it easy to tell between the 2 blocks? I’m just about to build my rev 3 turbo but didn’t know the blocks could be different
Rev 3 sw20 gts
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Even a Rev 5 is no thicker between cylinders 2 & 3.

The only way to be SURE is to buy a late 5 block.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Apparently, when you put your ARP head studs into the block and hand tight down, the one in the corner by the water pump should be tightened down till it bottoms out then backed off about 1mm and held in place with some lock tight. This is supposed to stop the block cracking over the water pump problem. I've asked the guy putting my forged engine together to do this.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

blogsy wrote:Apparently, when you put your ARP head studs into the block and hand tight down, the one in the corner by the water pump should be tightened down till it bottoms out then backed off about 1mm and held in place with some lock tight. This is supposed to stop the block cracking over the water pump problem. I've asked the guy putting my forged engine together to do this.

hmmmm interesting :-k
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

That will make no difference what so ever

It doesn't actually crack on the bolt hole
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Someone explain it :)
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

blogsy wrote:Someone explain it :)

explain what?

I cracked a NON turbo block on the water pump area, no modifications at all, stock head bolts. running 158bhp.

The cracking is due to it being a thinner cast and then thermal shock... the thermostat/waterpump is right off that corner

putting arp's in, backing them off/whatever/praying etc will have no effect on whether the block will crack or not in that area
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I have heard this and make some sense

That is can be caused by the thermo shock of the cold water hitting it as the thermostat opens causing the area to be brittle and would attribute to the crack. Some people do not run a thermostat for this reason .... how much of this is true I don't know but ..... ( I think it is just Luck lol)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

How do people manage coolant temperatures with no thermostat? The engine will run too cold without one.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Gazza_DJ wrote:How do people manage coolant temperatures with no thermostat? The engine will run too cold without one.

speed up/slow down? :mrgreen:
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Dale_V wrote:That will make no difference what so ever

It doesn't actually crack on the bolt hole

Am I right to think that a small percentage of forged engines crack between cylinders 2 and 3, possibly to do with to high a compression piston, knock and a thin cylinder wall. And are there a small percentage that don't get this problem but crack on the block by the water pump, ok. So what if a Messiah told you that since backing off this stud, they've never had a block crack around the water pump area. O:) :lol: :D :-k :-# :eye: :thumleft: Next time i'll keep it to myself :-$ :-$ :-$ :-# :-# [-( [-( ](*,) :flossy: :salut: :whistle: :^o :cry:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

blogsy wrote:

Am I right to think that a small percentage of forged engines crack between cylinders 2 and 3, possibly to do with to high a compression piston, knock and a thin cylinder wall.

Nope, it has nothing to do with it being forged or not, 2-3 cylinders can crack on stock pistons. But yes, knock and being thin walled are the culprits

blogsy wrote:So what if a Messiah told you that since backing off this stud, they've never had a block crack around the water pump area.

Then all they've had is good luck. "backing off" a head stud will do nothing what so ever to aid a block staying in one piece. #-o

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”