Variable Geometry Turbo as a kit?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jayridium

Variable Geometry Turbo as a kit?

Post by Jayridium »

Just wondering if anyone had made a Variable Geometry turbo kit for the MR2?
SonicSW20

Re: Variable Geometry Turbo as a kit?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not in kit form that I've seen. TBH though if you're looking at this kind of thing then custom exhaust / manifold adapter / custom manifold shouldn't be an issue.

I assume you have an ECU that can control it?
Jayridium

Post by Jayridium »

Hi Gazza, Thanks for getting back to me... While personally I've gone off turbos since i've started playing with larger displacement engines, but was curious was such a kit available as it would be a tempting route to go rev turbo & VGTurbo. Had a look around and as far as I can see the variable geometry turbos by garret all seem more oriented towards diesels, the biggest I could find was a gt2571v which if I've done the maths right would produce a barrel load of torque by start strangling a 2 litre petrol at about 5500-6000rpm

Were I to go down that route, if I couldnt find a pressure rather than vacuum/electronic actuated VGT turbo to base the build around, having previously taught myself picbasic I'd just knock up a small microcontroller for controlling the boost. I've got access to a milling machine so could make an exhaust manifold adapter and being a hydraulics tech to trade, I could take care of the oil pipes, but for all that work, I'd rather put in a 2gr-fe.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Porsche use variable vein turbos, if that was a route you were after then research what they use and see if there are similar items available.

Borg warner springs to mind.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”