www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Remove rear glass window (its been smashed)

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossonza
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Remove rear glass window (its been smashed) Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

As you can see...the rear windows gone. I've got replacement glass to go in, However i dont want to break the rear window surround.

I've removed the 2 screws each side underneath the side engine covers. Is there screws within the rear high brake light? any tips?

Cheers
Ross. [thumleft] [/u]
alanmr2turbo

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The rear surround is fixed from the inside of vehicle by 6 or 8 bolts, cant remember how many exactly
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

alanmr2turbo wrote:
The rear surround is fixed from the inside of vehicle by 6 or 8 bolts, cant remember how many exactly

oh.... haha i thought it was just external. Ok ill strip the rear interior when i get home then. thanks! [thumleft]
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Been there.

You need to remove the plastic trim at the bottom that surrounds the window. Top and bottom piece IIRC. The fasteners should then be obvious.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Been there.

You need to remove the plastic trim at the bottom that surrounds the window. Top and bottom piece IIRC. The fasteners should then be obvious.

inside?
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yes, inside, basically all the plastic trim that's behind the seats and around the rear window.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Yes, inside, basically all the plastic trim that's behind the seats and around the rear window.

gotcha, thanks Gazza appreciate it [thumleft]
abovetherim
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 6

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

There may be discs of rubbery stuff covering the hole the nut is behind in the top 2 corners.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

abovetherim wrote:
There may be discs of rubbery stuff covering the hole the nut is behind in the top 2 corners.

ok thank you, I'll try and get some pictures. See if i can make a quick DIY for the forum.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

well i went for it..... popped the shops and got some strong tape. taped up the window and tried removal.

taped up and very sharp knife

[img]https://i.imgur.com/EsAtCti.jpg?1[/img]

got it to peel off after working myself around the window using the knife.

Got to figure out how to get the remaining adhesive off the window surround.

thinking hot stanley knife. then someone suggested acetone?
[thumleft]
aussieGT

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

try some solvent and an old cloth
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

well my adhesive comes today, so il be attempting install later. wish me luck [Confused]
abovetherim
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 6

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

If it's the same butyl stuff as the side windows a lot with some paint prep in it to dip a plastic scraper in to keep it wet. Remove the bulk of it like that then paint prep on a rag to wipe residue.
rossonza
Premium Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well I got it fitted.... Dropped one of the screws from the side of the glass surround down into the drivers side engine mount. Could I get it out?? No...took me a damn whole hour with an array of random items I could find in the house/shed.

Anyways. I got it done. And I'm leaving it to dry over night. Fingers crossed it's bonded well.

Now I can actually work on stuff that needed doing in the first place [thumleft]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: