Rev2 turbo thermostat replacement - help needed!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aussieGT

Rev2 turbo thermostat replacement - help needed!

Post by aussieGT »

Hi all,

So, I have read just about all I can find on the interwebs about how to take the thermo cover off.

First part the guides say to 'take the dipstick tube retainer out', yeah ok, how the &*%% do you get to that nut? I can get a socket onto the nut but can't get the ratchet onto the socket. There's just not enough room. The manifold heat shield blocks decent access, and jebus christos, the nuts on that thing haven't been turned since this car rolled off the production line.

BGB says the same, it shows a nice little picture of someone putting a ring spanner on the nut from below. Now either ET reached up from underneath the car to do that or BGB shows it being done when the engine is out. I'd prefer to think that a thermostat change isn't an engine out jobbie!

Similar thing with the thermo cover itself, one nut is simple to reach, the other is there underneath and my ape hands fumbled around under there like a teenager on his first date :whistle:

Dunno, i'm a novice and probably doing something totally wrong, can anyone provide a bit of know how please. :pray:
abovetherim

Re: Rev2 turbo thermostat replacement - help needed!

Post by abovetherim »

First off I can't help with the access to the bolts etc as I only have experience of working on an n/a engine.

But I can add that you need to invest in some good penetrant spray and small wire brush to clean the threads. I like the penetrant made by 3 in 1 but others are available and are all my h better than wd.

Also use six point hex sockets if you have them as they are less likely to round off the head than 12 point. If you get stuff bolt to move work it out a bit then in a bit and so on.

Lastly good luck
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I cant remeber having any trouble removing the bolts for the thermostat. There was only two im sure.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

aussieGT wrote:
First part the guides say to 'take the dipstick tube retainer out', yeah ok, how the &*%% do you get to that nut?

Honestly, if you are struggling with this simple task you either don't have the right skills or tools.

It maybe an idea to stop now before you get in too deep and the frustration grows further and your car becomes immobile.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

MartinF wrote:
aussieGT wrote:
First part the guides say to 'take the dipstick tube retainer out', yeah ok, how the &*%% do you get to that nut?

Honestly, if you are struggling with this simple task you either don't have the right skills or tools.

It maybe an idea to stop now before you get in too deep and the frustration grows further and your car becomes immobile.

Not sure if I have the wrong tool or not but thats why I asked, i'm using a normal impact socket, can't get a ring spanner on it - but can't get the ratchet onto the socket.

But yeah, thanks anyway, nothing like a good forum spirit to help numpties out with simple tasks.
chrismit

Post by chrismit »

The bolt below is quite fiddly to get to

I ended up removing the air conditioning unit which gave me much better access (it didnt work so i was removing anyway)
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Whether this is difficult or not depends on if you have AC or not. Without Ac the 12mm (head size) bolt (not a nut!!) attaching the dipstick tube to the thermostat housing is easily reached with an angled/offset ring spanner - it just requires a bit of stretching. With AC the whole thing becomes more difficult because there is hardly any room to rotate the spanner properly.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Yeah, it's got AC which I want to keep.

I'm after a set of damaged nut/bolt removers, one of the exhaust manifold shield bolts came out ok but the others don't want to play.

That and the oil filter coming off may give me a bit more room to move.

The engine sounds great but the 'oil' thats in there, gee, it's been there for quite a while. The filter won't be coming off without a decent fight I bet.

Thanks for the replies.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

need to expand your tool kit.

should be no reason you cant undo that dipstick bolt.

use the double ended spanner trick to get more leverage on it

housing, either need some long thin sockets and extensions, or smaller spanner, preferably a spanner thats 6sided, not 12. those thermostat housing nuts are tiny and will round off without a good grip.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

MartinF wrote:

jimGTS wrote:need to expand your tool kit.

housing, either need some long thin sockets and extensions, or smaller spanner, preferably a spanner thats 6sided, not 12. those thermostat housing nuts are tiny and will round off without a good grip.

I managed to get the dipstick bolt out with a small amount of swearing.

That thermo cover was a *&*(%(* )&)(*. Like friendly MartinF pointed out, the frustration did grow and I though i'd made my car immobile.

Yes MartinF, it would be a real walk in the park if it wasn't for the bloody AC system, what a xxxxxx. (not you, the AC) I got a ratchet ring spanner on the bottom nut after I took the oil filter off.

But after I had undone that bottom nut to a point I couldn't get the spanner off due to the body of the ac unit. So that was fun and nasty words galore. Ratchet spanner didn't want to help doing the nut back up.

I bent some crap and managed to replace the thermostat. Did not enjoy. Hopefully I haven't rooted anything in the engine bay.

I had a look in the engine bay of a n/a, yes that some nice access to thermostat there, sweet fa room in my turbo car with some antique mega structure ac hovering right next to it.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Glad I could help :lol:
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

hope the thermostat was installed with the jiggle valve the right way up :D

future note, ratchet spanners are gods gift but they can be a pain in tight spaces.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”