Fuel injector size to big???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

caldridge7

Fuel injector size to big???

Post by caldridge7 »

Hi all I was talking to my tuner about what my next mods are and what he was most interested in was I was putting 1150 top feed injectors in the engine, he said they would be way to big and the duty cycle on idle would be no good I. E to low...

I have a gully built St215 head, rev 2 built block, 272 hks cams precision 5858 vortex dragster exhaust etc etc all the mods for big horsy.

Can anyone tell me if the duty cycle is so low then why do I see people with bigger injectors and idling fine??? Or is it my tuner...
caldridge7

Re: Fuel injector size to big???

Post by caldridge7 »

Advice please all are 1150 injectors OK???
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Depends on injectors. Are you talking ID Dynamics? What is the Garrett equivilent? What level of boost? Target power?

they'll be ok just idle is harder on larger injectors.
fastasfkk

injectors

Post by fastasfkk »

What power goal? What ecu to controll them
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

will need an aftermarket ecu to control them then its just a case of changing the % on a power fc anyway
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
Hez

Post by Hez »

Nobody is really answering the question, i have some RC 1200cc injectors in mine and it has taken a little bit of fiddling to get a decent idle on a Motec M4 , the mechanic who built mine (a very well respected Mr2 mech) said the idle wont be perfect because of the size. It idles fine just not quite as smooth as standard injectors but its far from being a problem.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Thanks hez atleast someone understands what I'm saying thanks for telling me that and lol with all the mods I got and I'm being told I need a aftermarket ecu... What I got is going to see me 600 hp so yer I have a aftermarket ecu. Megasquirt... Love the name.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Block will crack well before 600hp.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

lol

600bhp

Megasquirt

#-o
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

I don't understand what's funny?

Children...

All I wanted to know was injector size OK...

Megasquirt version 2 is a very good ecu...

Or is drift limits gonna give me some tips?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Cheap

Powerful

Reliable

Choose 2! :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

1) Ditch the ECU
2) YES - they will work, but aren't refined as decent injectors.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Adroo, do you have any experience to tell me why I should ditch the megasquirt? Tell me any benefits the link will give me... Only disadvantage is that the link is double the price...

And can you send me any evidence saying my injectors are basically junk?
Hez

Post by Hez »

This forum has gone crap over the last couple of years mate, people will be quick to slag your ideas off without having any useful advice or help to give.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

For Link vs M.S - worth you having a google and making your own mind up if that's what you want to run. Just bear in mind you're looking to run 600hp.... right at the top (or even over) the capability of the standard 3S block.

If you want to push the boundries, you need to make sure you have the best equipment. Sure, standard spray pattern injectors are great, and have worked for a long time, including myself with no qualms at all. But there's a big difference in running 450-500hp than there is 600hp. The extra heat, risk of det, and other factors mean that you really should refine things that little bit more.

I didn't say your injectors were junk - just that they arent as refined as the BOSCH MOTORSPORT grade ID1000's. And they cost double the price for a reason... as with most things in life.

So to Quote myself....

YES - they will work, but aren't refined as decent injectors.

If you are content and happy that the MS2 will provide you with all the running and protection needs that you have, then great, go for it. But have a look - again... there's a reason why the MS2 is a home build ECU and ATS fully endorse the Link as their recommended ECU.

Not sure if Hez had a lonely valentines or whatever, but the forum generally is an extremely helpful place.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ID1000 injectors were de capped and flow matched Bosch OEM injectors, the new ID1050x injectors are Bosch Motorsport.

MS2 is not necessarily a home build ECU, it is available ready made, and has many more features than a PFC for less money - knock control for one.. which some people don't even have activated on their "good" ECU's :lol: , More features than any of the 'budget' ECU's in fact (omex etc)

For the cost of a link plugin you could have an MS3 pro, which would absolutely blow it out of the water.

CC/min is not the only factor, or even the deciding factor of low rpm/idle running. People have great success getting relatively 'big' ID injectors idling perfectly because they supply comprehensive slope, lag, and low pulse width response data. Others may not.. if you can find the data for the RC injectors then you have a fighting chance of making them work properly, as Lin as they are capable of operating at low enough pulse widths to idle smoothly.

An ECU is only a tool.. a musical instrument if you will.. a professional musician can make beautiful music from a £50 guitar, a rank amateur couldn't get a half decent tune (see what I did there... tune...) out of an instrument that costs more than your house.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Valid points, Rob - but MS2 vs Link are in different leagues... even ATS state that they were a true PFC die hard fan until they used Link.

My ID1000's were marked as Bosch Motorsport injectors :?:

It sounds like you have quite a serious build going on there, and I fully well appreciate the costs involved to get there.... which is why my knee-jerk reaction is not to scrimp on the ECU side.

Of course, opinions are like assh0les - everybody has one!
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Okay, androo drift limits for one will only use and map link?

Why because that's all they know, drift limits is really good from what iv heard... But link is simply all they will touch.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me what a link can offer me over ms2, I'm already running a ms2 and iv had a link... No difference.

You are sadly in the mind of a sheep like the fight between snapon tools over mac tools which is better!!!

So anyway thanks for all the comments and after all this I now know my injectors will be okay ☺

Good old debates
androo007

Post by androo007 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK.

DL do not offer tuning services directly themselves that I know of, but an experienced MR2 garage. I'm sure they see everything.

BTW ATS - the biggest MR2 tuner / builder in the world....... hate the MS2 ECU.

Actually, I was the second person I know to have a LINK G4 ECU whilst most people stuck with the PFC. Why? Because I did research. Perhaps you should too. :wink:

Fensport, one of the lead MR2 tuners use.... oh yeah, Link / Motec

Rob has it spot on and is absolutely correct in what he said. My point was, is, and will be, as I said... and I quote...

If you are content and happy that the MS2 will provide you with all the running and protection needs that you have, then great, go for it.

Best to be a sheep at an Agricultural Show rather than a sheep shank at a BBQ.

Hez

Post by Hez »

Keep a eye on Ebay and Motec M4's pop up now and again at a very good price with a bit of haggling i bought mine for £400 then mapped at Fensport for another £300-400, then you have a old but very well respected ECU for not much money.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”