www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
fused link / main fuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandanny66

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: fused link / main fuse Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi Folks

A guy at work recently bought a MK1, which he's in the process of restoring.
He's had the battery off, but when he re-connected it, he reversed the poles, and now has no power.
He came to me, as everyone at work seems to think I have the answer to every problem.
This is where I come to you guys for assistance. [Smile]

I initially said that there would be a main fuse which has blown, but i'm now getting the impression that theres a fusable link.
I found an image for a MK2 fusable link. is the MK1 in the same place, or could anyone point me in the right direction, as I can't seem to find anything definitive for a MK1.

The guy comes back every morning saying that he can't see anything.
However, I suspect it's becuase neither of us know what exactly he should be looking for.

Thanks in advance.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Feedback Score: 7

1987 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

http://manual.teq.org

Page 1041 of the manual has all the wiring diagrams for you. There is a fusible link which from what I recall is part of the main cable, along with other links in the engine bay fuse box.
jimi

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.html?view=kb&kbartid=25

Bear in mind that diagrams linked to in the post above are for US (AFM) spec cars and are not always correct for UK (MAP) cars
mandanny66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I found a wiring diagram on Friday, which would indicate that the fused link could be a black wire.
I have seen that image, in fact I printed this off for him.

I understand that it is in fact just a wire, and quite possibly just looks like a normal wire, so would be easy to miss.
If the fused link has blown, will it be obvious.
jimi

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It's not "just" a wire, it's a particular type/CSA of wire. Mr T used to do a replacement kit for it.
The article I linked to explains how to locate it and is accurate for UK cars, I know because I wrote the article and the picture is my car [Wink]
Hard to miss, it's a length of wire soldered inline with the smaller of the two cables connected to the battery positive, the heavy cable goes to the starter.
mandanny66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi Jimi

I stumbled upon your post/photo ealier last week.
If it's blown, will it be obvious, ie will the sleeving be burnt out.

We sell fuses at work, so we sort of discussed (if he can find it) retro fitting a fuse holder and midi fuse.

I also stumbled upon something which gave the amperages based on the wire colour.

Pink 30 amp
Green 40 amps 0.50mm˛
Red 50 amps 0.69mm˛
Yellow 60 amps
Black 80 amps 1.25mm˛
Blue 100 amps
jimi

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It will almost certainly be obvious if it's blown, the ones I've seen had a physical break in the them. Don't have a pic of a MK1 link but this pic shows a blown MK2 link (blue wire)

IIRC the MK1 link is black and is 1.25mm˛ CSA
mandanny66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The wiring diagram I found last week would indicate that it's black and 1.25.
Thanks for the info thus far, I'll pass this on, hopefully, he'll find something.
mandanny66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Just a heads up folks.
The guy told me this morning that he finally located the fused link.
Bypassing it temporarily allowed the car to come live.

It was exactly where you said it was.
mandanny66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

folks.

Yesterday he fitted a temporary link wire in place of the fused link.
The ignition now lights up, lights work, alarm works etc.
So initial conclusion would be that it's resolved, however, he says that it wont start.
Not cranking over.

The battery was on charge all night.

Any further pointers.

The car was running prior to the reversed pole incident.
jimi

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Check Fuse AM2 (7.5A) in RB2 (engine compartment fusebox) it supplies the starter relay, if it's blown the engine won't crank.
Also check to see if the Starter relay (square relay in the same fusebox) is energising when the ignition is turned to the start position.
mandanny66

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

He's mentioned that he replaced the 7.5amp fuse two weeks ago, so he'll just double check the fuse and check the relay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: