[Mk2] [Generic] Modified SW20 non-abs hubs

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marty J

[Mk2] [Generic] Modified SW20 non-abs hubs

Post by Marty J »

Although I have only seen SW20 abs hubs in photos, it got me thinking.

How difficult is it to modify the non-abs hubs to accept sensors ?

Drill the hubs, one hole for the sensor and the other for the retaining screw. Tap the screw holes and install four abs reluctor / stator rings at each corner.

Which then got me thinking, maybe I could use a alternative, cheaper sensor with a suitable resistance. I always thought that the Toyota MR2 sensors are far too expensive for what they are. I need info on dimensions and resistance.

If anybody knows of sites that has info on different abs sensors, please let me know.
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Modified SW20 non-abs hubs

Post by alanmr2turbo »

To go through all that trouble and buying the other parts wouldn't it be just cheaper to buy the sensor or just an ABS hub
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I would have to buy four hubs. I would have to buy four new sensors because I don't trust old sensors.

That lot would probably cost around £700.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Oh so you want to retro fit these to a Non ABS car?

Then you need to re-wire in car for ABS. Rather you than me.

You say you don't trust used sensors but you would trust hubs you have drilled by yourself? Sensors either work or they don't work and even new ones can also be faulty.

If i wanted ABS in my car i'd sell it and buy one with it already fitted from factory.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I'm fitting a four channel abs system. I already have the abs system and I don't mind doing a bit of plumbing.

You drill the hubs, not the calipers.

Have you seen what a sensor looks like with 20+ years on it ?

You are correct about new sensors, but they would be under a guarantee.

Selling is not an option for me.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

The Toyota ABS from rev1-rev4 is rubbish anyway, it's a 3 channel system and not a great one at that. Rev5 was improved.

There is more to the system than just the sensors and the pump. Do cheap 3rd party ABS systems exist? the Bosch M4 motorsport system is about £6k last time of checking.

retrofitting early phase 1 ABS isn't worth the effort.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

It's a four channel from a MR2 Spyder.

It has been done before.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The sensors themselves don't fail very often, they normally get damaged when someone hamfisted attempts to remove them, or cannot be bothered to unplug them so they just chop the loom.

You could drill out the non ABS hub and mount a sensor I guess. Stock ABS hubs are cheap as a used item though.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

That's true Gazza.

My goal is to not only fit a ABS system, but to do it safely and as economically as possible. Which is why I am trying to find a cheap suitable sensor.

Drilling and tapping is a lot cheaper. If I do make a mistake then I will consider buying a used ABS hub. But until then I will search Google for suitable sensors. :roll:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

well the non-abs uprights are exactly the same as the abs ones except for drillings, so yeah they could be drilled.

would be easier to just get 4 abs uprights though, cheap as chips.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Marty J wrote:

Drilling and tapping is a lot cheaper. If I do make a mistake then I will consider buying a used ABS hub. But until then I will search Google for suitable sensors. :roll:

IIRC, a Lexus one fits the front with minimal mods. IS200 I think? perhaps IS200 rears could also work with modification?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I am in Ireland, so the shipping distance increases the cost.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Marty J wrote:

IIRC, a Lexus one fits the front with minimal mods. IS200 I think? perhaps IS200 rears could also work with modification?

Kirk has a page on these. He's going to try one on his own car.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

maybe you could get 1 of the correct sensors and measure the resistance, then drill the hubs to fit whatever cheap sensor you can find new, that has the same resistance.

the length of the sensor would be important too, though longer ones could be spaced out, just short ones wouldn't reach the ring.

for info, the abs rings just press on the driveshaft end, the abs and non abs driveshaft ends are the same, just one has the ring and the other doesn't.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Correct pbmr2, that's what I was planning, a longer one would be ok to use. I don't mind which manufacturer of sensors I use, so long as the ABS ecu can communicate with them properly. There are loads of sensors out there, but not much info on their size and resistance.

Return to “Modifications”