Cracked cylinder 3 ring land :UPDATE:

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Cracked cylinder 3 ring land :UPDATE:

Post by SonicSW20 »

I wouldn't bore it unless you have to due to scoring etc... 2 and 3 are thin enough as it is!
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Yeah exactly my thoughts, I'm really hoping not to bore it but depends what damage is in there from the ring land if any
Ja99a

Pistons

Post by Ja99a »

I've used Wiesco pistons in a few different builds they are good, I used 87mm 9:1 which run fine.

I suggest boring out at a competent shop giving them the pistons to match, any other way, breaking the glaze etc cant be as good as you want the barrels to match the pistons.

If you look at the factory pistons you will see each piston has a letter, this is the size of the piston, they are matched to each barrel at the factory, meaning that each barrel isn't exactly the same size. Hence why I say get it bored out.

Also don't forget to gap the rings, lots of home builders just assemble the pistons with stock gaps rings and this is a surefire way to blow the ring lands...

Good luck :)
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Thanks for the info, it's all getting done at yvs, he's worked on these engines for years so I've no doubt it'll be getting done properly, cheers though
Hez

Post by Hez »

Yvs won't rebore if your bores are still in spec, he uses 86mm pistons whenever he can, what's the point weakening a weak block.
JD

Post by JD »

- Never rebore if you don't have to (especially a 3S-GTE)
- Consider what your target numbers/budget is and build to that
- Match CR to the desired goal. Lowering to 8:1 in if you're not going for big boost/big power is just going to hurt performance ultimately; compression = power

Never get sucked in to chasing numbers. Select a goal for your build based on what you are happy to budget, hit that, and then enjoy the car. Take your time and read up, talk to engine builders.

All the best.

ps - alternatively you could save yourself the headaches, sell up, and finance a new hot hatch.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

JD wrote:
ps - alternatively you could save yourself the headaches, sell up, and finance a new hot hatch.

Sell up, buy a cheap NA MX5 and spend the rest on hookers and blow.
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Yeah I really don't want to rebore if I don't have to
It's hardly a headache, just takes tie really, I'll save up, get it done properly and enjoy the car again, if I needed the money then maybe so, but it's not a problem sat in the garage until it's ready
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Plus I'd not get many hookers and blow for essentially a scrap car
JD

Post by JD »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
JD wrote:

Sell up, buy a cheap NA MX5 and spend the rest on hookers and blow.

:lol: :lol:

I think the hookers and blow fund will ultimately go towards brakes but that's another story!

Sbsoulby if it's a shell in good condition then it certainly makes sense to look after it.
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Bit of an update:

Finally got around to removing and taking apart the engine only to find that all the rings are fine which is annoying, can't see any cracks in the block so next is to take it all to an engine engineers near me and have them have a look at it
Rev 3 sw20 gts

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”