www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
2016 Golf R

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Driving Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  

This post is:
Great
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stupid
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 4
Total Votes : 0
This poll does not expire

mr2nut123
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: 2016 Golf R Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Not much to the story, just that a stock rev5 with 1 bar of boost can keep with one quite nicely. Must be the extra weight as they're 292hp apparently. I'd imagine a tubby runs around 270 with 1 bar..?
jakeymears

Feedback Score: 3

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

A customer let me have a go round the industrial estate I work at and it was quick but felt a bit numb that said the Haldex system made it grip like Sxxt to a blanket. Not to my taste but a decent hot hatch
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Best hot hatch of 2015 apparently...
mr2nut123
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

jakeymears wrote:
A customer let me have a go round the industrial estate I work at and it was quick but felt a bit numb that said the Haldex system made it grip like Sxxt to a blanket. Not to my taste but a decent hot hatch

I can think of better things to spend 30k on! [Shocked]

10k on a tubby would make mince meat of one!
mr2nut123
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

craig wrote:
Best hot hatch of 2015 apparently...

It looked quite nice to be fair, but got nothing on a tubby. [Smile]
C35Rob
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I hate VAG stuff tbf, but in anything other than a straight line race, I highly doubt the mr2 would even know which way the golf went.

last summer I went out for a drive up a local closed race track which has a layout similar to the northumberland countryside with a few mates - me in my laurel (300 bhp, 1440kg) two well sorted mk1 focus RS' (again, 300bhp+) and a mk3 astra GSi (320bhp) and we bumped into a lad in a mundane newish golf gti dsg thing, which was, to be fair in a totally different league. when he stopped he said all it had was breathing mods and a REVO stage 2+ map

I can only imagine the newer, better model to be better still?
synXero

Feedback Score: 34

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

For sure - newer cars (that shouldn't really seem quicker) than our older hero cars just are. I had a similar experience in my old 2. Suspension systems and damping tech and rebound tech has all come on so far. The dukes pass in Scotland is an excellent proving ground for this, and some of the newer audis and VWs can really hold their own against ostensibly superior (older, cooler) machines.

All that said I still find them boring as xxxx and I would just never ever aspire to ownership of one.
mr2nut123
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

synXero wrote:
For sure - newer cars (that shouldn't really seem quicker) than our older hero cars just are. I had a similar experience in my old 2. Suspension systems and damping tech and rebound tech has all come on so far. The dukes pass in Scotland is an excellent proving ground for this, and some of the newer audis and VWs can really hold their own against ostensibly superior (older, cooler) machines.

All that said I still find them boring as xxxx and I would just never ever aspire to ownership of one.

This. Neeeext [thumleft]
nathan.z
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I was taken for a ride in a brand new one back when they were just released in 2014. Felt it had tons of grip and quicker than my 2 for sure but agree'd more numb and less exciting in feel. Much more subdued since nice new modern suspension n all that.
synXero

Feedback Score: 34

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Plus, there's none of that visceral excitement about, "will my tie rods snap on me?" [Laughing]
rossonza
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

an old colleague had one... said it was fun to 60 then got boring.... id still like a go in one though.
aussieGT

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

nathan.z wrote:
I was taken for a ride in a brand new one back when they were just released in 2014. Felt it had tons of grip and quicker than my 2 for sure but agree'd more numb and less exciting in feel. Much more subdued since nice new modern suspension n all that.

It may be quicker in reality, but like everyone here is saying - the just don't feel as fast. Or sound as fast. Something that you have to hang on to, use your skill and feel like your bum is just about dragging along the road is more enjoyable than watching a speedo climb up without any sensation apart from the sting of a nasty speeding fine!
aussieGT

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

But i'd still be glad to own a new Golf like that, even happier if I could afford one.
craig
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I see a few of these every now and again. They do look rather tasty with the quad exhausts and tinted back lights [Cool]

I would love one, but I wouldn't 30K for a Golf.
C35Rob
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

aussieGT wrote:
But i'd still be glad to own a new Golf like that, even happier if I could afford one.

Most people can't.. that's why they are financed up to the eyeballs on PCP or a lease, paying 500 a month to pretend they own something for 3 years
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

No one is paying 500 a month for a Golf R, you can get them for 200-300 on a lease - that's why they are so common.
C35Rob
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
No one is paying 500 a month for a Golf R, you can get them for 200-300 on a lease - that's why they are so common.

Was a ballpark figure for arguments sake, FWIW my mate was paying 450 PCM on his 2016 Audi S3

I still wouldn't pay 300 a month to rent a golf
mr2nut123
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I wouldn't even pay 100 a month for a car, just buy an MR2 [Think] [Wink]
mr2nut123
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

C35Rob wrote:
aussieGT wrote:

Most people can't.. that's why they are financed up to the eyeballs on PCP or a lease, paying 500 a month to pretend they own something for 3 years

^ lol

Draven

Feedback Score: 43

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

synXero wrote:
Plus, there's none of that visceral excitement about, "will my tie rods snap on me?" [Laughing]

Ah yes, the will a wheel fall off at high speed. [thumleft]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Driving Experiences All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: