Better Battery

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattyboy44

Better Battery

Post by mattyboy44 »

Hi

I am looking for advice on what battery to go for on my mr2 rev3 turbo.

The one I have looks really small and keeps dying after a few days of non use of car. Just looking for a upgrade if there is one that will fit?

Thanks
tonym

new battery

Post by tonym »

i put a varta silverline with a 5 year guarantee i sometimes dont get to use my car for 2 weeks because of my job and it starts first time everytime i will put up the exact code on the battery in a days they are cheap enough batteries and so far for me it has been great
SonicSW20

Re: Better Battery

Post by SonicSW20 »

Are you sure you don't have a parasitic drain?
mattyboy44

Post by mattyboy44 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Are you sure you don't have a parasitic drain?

Possibly how can I tell? What are the usual culprits on these cars?
mattyboy44

Re: new battery

Post by mattyboy44 »

tonym wrote:i put a varta silverline with a 5 year guarantee i sometimes dont get to use my car for 2 weeks because of my job and it starts first time everytime i will put up the exact code on the battery in a days they are cheap enough batteries and so far for me it has been great

Yeah thanks, I got my one new last year but it seems so small for the car but the parts place near me said it was the one for my car, it's the old style type where you can fill the battery acid I was hoping for a more modern better battery if I am honest.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Couple of years ago I asked Toyota about a battery for a rev3 turbo.

Maintenance Free battery 28800-YZZJA 12V 65Ah. BCI 590A EN 570A. Manufactured in Czech Republic, distributed by Toyota Europe.

Not the cheapest place to buy a battery for sure, but the last time I got one from Toyota it lasted about 10 years so I was happy with that (compared to cheap batteries I got from other places that have only lasted 1-2 years).

Maybe I got lucky, so will see how long this battery lasts.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Get yourself a decent battery like the one in the link below, with 5yr warranty think Halfords may stock it as well.

Ultimately if the battery is allowed to drain regardless of brand it will get damaged to the point it will need replacing. But if used properly the Yuasa will be as good if not much better than any other brands.

http://thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-6 ... 8558-p.asp
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

rev3gtturbo wrote:Couple of years ago I asked Toyota about a battery for a rev3 turbo.

Maintenance Free battery 28800-YZZJA 12V 65Ah. BCI 590A EN 570A. Manufactured in Czech Republic, distributed by Toyota Europe.

Not the cheapest place to buy a battery for sure, but the last time I got one from Toyota it lasted about 10 years so I was happy with that (compared to cheap batteries I got from other places that have only lasted 1-2 years).

Maybe I got lucky, so will see how long this battery lasts.

I got mine from Toyota, 5 year warranty and cheaper than Halfords equivalent, had a bad cell and failed after 12months, they changed it without a question. :thumleft:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I found that the 096 battery will fit with a 12mm spacer underneath
They do underate the figures as mine is 850CCA
I got one from halfords because of their guarantee and being open 7 days a week but you can get them cheaper
http://thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-8 ... 8593-p.asp

The plug on the top is to plug my C-Tek battery charger in :wink:
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I used to forget to switch off my dipped lights as ran a timer so didn't get the warning chime, so after work turn the key and 'CLICK, CLICK'
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I took the plunge and bought the most expensive in Halfords range.

Because if the nature of my job. Anyway I'll let you know how i get on with it. It has a lifetime guarantee which is good.

androo007

Post by androo007 »

Wow lifetime never seen that! On a battery?! How much was that?
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

androo007 wrote:Wow lifetime never seen that! On a battery?! How much was that?

Around £150 iirc, they are in Halfords. Think you can get them cheaper looking at a link in this thread

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”