Daytona Grey Rev 1 Tubby Project ( Finally in Paint)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gmac90

Re: Daytona Grey Rev 1 Tubby Project ( Finally in Paint)

Post by gmac90 »

Got my otherside sill done but forgot to take my phone with me for pics ](*,)

Fitted my blue silicone hoses but might need some help from you guys where does the hose from the rocker cover breather go to? The 3mm one.

Found my dizzy cap seal yaaay

Having thoughts about the colour now after seeing a few cars about thinking " ooh thats a nice grey" im thinking would it be cool if i did the new gt86 grey on the 25 year old mr2? What do u think?
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Finally got my engine fully re built today but not got it back in yet hopefully the next couple of weeks this will go back in

Also capped off the ends of my sills and ground down all the welding ready for paint

this was what was left at the end of the sills

And here is a mocked up shape cut out of metal to fill the hole

All welded in and ground off

Offside with some weld through primer

All seam sealed up and water tight

Now to fill up both sills with wax oil for them to be future rust proof and I have got some nice ideas for the front bumper when it comes off

:lol:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

P.s nobody wants to sell me a rev 3 spoiler or another front splitter? On the cheap
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

First of all apologies for not keeping this thread up to date but between getting a new house built and moving into a rented house for a while and trying to get the car done its just been a bit of a hectic 6 months.

Anyhoo.... I have eventually got my seats back from the trimmers at the end of August and this is what they looked like...

I am well please with the way they have turned out cant wait to get them in.

I also manged to get the whole rear end finished up by fitting my Rev 3 bigger discs and calipers along with new shocks and 40mm lowering springs. Ohh and my braided brake hoses.

I have just got to do the same to the front now when I manage to get a chance sooner rather than later though as its getting put into paint mid Jan so I guess I better get my finger out.

and just to finish up this update a wee before and after shot of the engine in the car as I know everyone loves a comparison photo at new year..

Before

After

Cheers for looking hope to keep you up to date a bit more
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

I have been mega busy over the last couple of weekends on the final push to get the mr2 into paint and ready to drive on the road...

Last weekend I managed to get all the front suspension and brakes fitted and bled. Pretty much ready for driving to get it painted

Couple of shots of the mr2's in the workshop

Went and got a sample of the Nimbus Grey I had originally picked to spray my car and when I got it I was really disappointed in how it looked. It was almost like there was no depth to it what so ever. So I went to a different paint supplier and they had the Audi greys on an actual paint chips instead of a Dulux paint card and when I saw it there in comparison to the Daytona Grey It was an obvious choice what my colour was now going to be. The top one of these chips is Nimbus Grey and the bottom one is Daytona Grey

Close up of Daytona grey

OOOOOOO Shiny :mrgreen:

Took it out for a road test and somethings not quite right with it #-o I have really loud turbo flutter and it feels like I have kangaroo petrol but Im hoping that is due to the CT20b turbo drawing more boost and the fuel cut kicking in, but I have a HKS FCD waiting to be fitted.

After carefully driving the car to the body shop we got to tearing it apart and after only a few hours 90% of the body panels were removed with surprisingly only a 10mm socket and a phillips screwdriver lol.

Last night I struggled to sleep so I was midnight googling mr2 bits and pieces and I came across these...

They were made a while ago by Woodsport so I phoned Paul @ Woodsport and asked him

"Whats the deal on these wings I dont see anybody talking about the or even any mr2s with them on"

He told me that he got the design in 2012 and was thinking it was going to be a big hit but nobody seemed to be interested in them, which I find hard to believe as I think they look amazing, so I managed to save £50 on them... Bonus. :clap:

After a few more hours of shopping online I also got the full border kit for ,an Autopista rear spoiler and smoked front side lights and side repeaters. Lets just say the credit card got most of the punishment for me not being able to sleep :pale:.

Just got the take the doors off and start the fun job of rubbing everything all down.... 8)
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Just a wee update found a bit of rust in the rear wheel arches behind the bumper.

but was quite an easy fix

Had a few dents in the roof and a few on the door so a little bit of filler sorts that out .

all scotch brited and masked up ready for some primer on the repaired sections.

thats it all sanded and prepped ready for paint hopefully later on this week..

here is a week sneak peak at the colour on the car

Look forward to getting it done and on the road been over a year in the making :D
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Time has finally arrived my car body has been painted and it looks freaking awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am like a kid at xmas at the min all thats left is to polish that up and then get to work on doors,wings,bumpers etc and put it all back together. :D

Should hopefully get the rest painted during the week if I get time
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Looks like a lovely colour mate. Can't wait to see it all built back up :thumleft:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

JAAASH wrote:Looks like a lovely colour mate. Can't wait to see it all built back up :thumleft:

Cheers mate Should look amazing in the sun ( if we ever get any in Scotland) :thumleft:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Just a tiny update went up tonight and de-masked the body and got the doors back in to get ready for rubbing down and painting..... also wasnt sure how the black/blue wheels would look... I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea but I think they look good against the grey.........

After a bit of a muddle up with the vented wings they should be with me on Wed ready to test fit with bumper and doors etc... :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

That looks SO nice
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Cheers androo... Its gonna look a whole lot nicer when its all back together :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice choice of colour. :thumleft:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Managed to get the rear quarters back in at the weekend think the grey looks good against the black..

Stared getting the body kit fitted and lining up with everything

After getting my vented wings I have decide not to use them as they require too much fettling......... So what Im going to do instead is create my own vents into the steel wings :mrgreen:

looks something like this ( hopefully)

I should hopefully be getting them cut out tomorrow night and Ill see the end results look and if it looks rubbish ill use the wings off my white mr2.

Going to keep the bump strips black aswell as I think it will break up the mono colour of the dark grey and aslo it just looks good

And just one pic of my awesome paint in all its shineyness with the camera flash :mrgreen:

CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Nicely done - love the colour! :thumleft:
Tallboy
Premium Member

Post by Tallboy »

Liking the rub strip contrast!! Colours great to!
ads

Post by ads »

Tallboy wrote:Liking the rub strip contrast!! Colours great to!

I'll echo this, also you're brave to try the vented wings. Before you make the cutscheck out what Porsche have done with the latest turbo and also Magnus Walkers top wing louvres. different panel profiles of course but food for thought.

Combine the vents with some rev 5 speedflaps to reduce front end lift at high speed

Watching this build with interest, nice one!
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Great job mate, and top choice of colour, going to be stunning. :D
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

ads wrote:
Tallboy wrote:Liking the rub strip contrast!! Colours great to!

I'll echo this, also you're brave to try the vented wings. Before you make the cutscheck out what Porsche have done with the latest turbo and also Magnus Walkers top wing louvres. different panel profiles of course but food for thought.

Combine the vents with some rev 5 speedflaps to reduce front end lift at high speed

Watching this build with interest, nice one!

Cheers guys for the comments.... I havent been getting notifications on my emails to say you guys have commented for some reason.... Anyways I have got a bit more done and cut my vents :shock:and build most of the car back up :lol:.

I am nearly done now.... Just got to spray thebumpers and wings and then itll be ready for an MOT then I just need to finish off the extra bits inside, gauges and boost controllers and swapping interior over.

Pics will be uploaded tomorrow for u to have a swatch :thumleft:
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Managed to get the pics off my phone eventually and I have got a lot done but still have a lot to do so here goes

Went ahead and cut the vents in my wings but to keep you all in very mild suspense :oldtongue: I wont show another pic untill they are completed and back on the car

But here's where I started

Front Bumper smoothed out and straightened cut and fitted..

I think someone had a yellow headlight cover and painted it like a million times :lol: ... Thats what it felt like anyways trying to sand all the paint off

Bonnet fitted

Doors and mirror assembly's fitted

Boot lid and rear trim around window done

Fitted some smoked lights to it, but close up whoever has sprayed them they look pants

I dont know whether to rub the paint off the red and white lens' and just have the amber bits smoked or just redo the whole lot :-k what would look better??

Bit of a Frankenstien with fresh bonnet, old bumper and bare wings all together as I drove it legally :whistle: to its new home for the month...

All tucked up for now untill I can finish off the front end and rear bumper :D

Return to “Member Profiles”