[Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Preey

Re: [Mk2] [NA] MR2 TDI

Post by Preey »

good post i'm a diesel man but dont have the skills to do anything like this keep the updates coming :D
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Preey wrote:good post i'm a diesel man but dont have the skills to do anything like this keep the updates coming :D

Agreed how you getting on :thumleft:
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Thanks Preey, that's very kind :)

Hi folks its been a while, I've done about 12000 miles in Mr Two now and its going very well. I have recently done a few little jobs to try and get it up to scratch.

Firstly I've painted up and cut the holes in spare MR2 dash that someone kindly gave me :) That's now fitted and doesn't have a huge crack across it :)

The sump plug seemed pretty loose last time I changed this oil, so this time I took it off and tapped an M15 thread in there and fitted an oversize plug. I cleaned it out too although I was very pleased to see how clean it was.

It seems to be smoking a little when cold, all clear after a mile or less but idling from fresh cold there is a fair bit of blue smoke. In addition the VNT seems to be getting pretty clogged and producing over-boost limp mode (nearly all the time recently). I took the Turbo off and cleaned it up. I attacked the VNT with oven cleaner then a little time in the ultrasonic cleaner at work, its now totally free. I replace the turbo cartridge with a new one and checked the oil supply.
I also replaced the heaters for cold starting and took the injector nozzles off and ultrasonically cleaned them too.

Finally got it all back together yesterday which was nice as my crappy 106 has given up and the Scimitar still waits patiently for Pre MOT prep in a few months.

Has it cured it.....

It seems not. I just went out to cold start it again and its still smoking away. Oh well, its got lots of new bits and works.

More to come.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

lozzzzzz wrote:

More to come.

Hope so , cracking build :thumleft:
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Hi lozzzzz

Great work

This might be completely useless to you but I used to have a Berlingo van that would smoke on start up Esp cold, my problem was my fuel filter wasn't sealing properly

I replaced it and this made a huge difference not sure why to this day, never really though about it, I'm guessing the air was getting in?
lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz »

Shane, I've had someone else on another forum find a similar problem to you. I have had a look into that and I couldn't find an issue like this, then more recently I changed the fuel filter and its made no difference.

What I have found though is if I drive the car like a nutter there is now smoke :)

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”