[Mk2] [Generic] Steering fogs not changing direction

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

outrun

[Mk2] [Generic] Steering fogs not changing direction

Post by outrun »

I know they are a bit xxxx, and I barely use them, but it has them and I want them to work - like they used to...

They still illuminate, but no matter which setting the switch is on, no following the road wheels.
I also have intermittent PAS, reckon the issues are connected?

Which is the PAS relay? It wouldn't hurt to replace it (and the fluid).

As for the fogs, I don't want to remove them unless I have to. Do the ECU's fail?
It seems unlikely to me that the reflectors would both seize, at the same time.

Any waybof testing them, without removal/supplying direct power to the units?
Rassiel

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Steering fogs not changing direction

Post by Rassiel »

HI, the PS relay is a big round thing covered in rubber to the right on the bonnet (passenger side). I think its located near the fuse box.
IF the PS fails there is a trick in the KB (IRC) that says cycling the ignition on and off several times will clean the contacts in the PS relay (rusty contacts is normally the problem) .
I have been in the same situation and worked after the 10 attempt :clap:
No idea about the steering fogs though.
rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Steering fogs not changing direction

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have had the situation where they don't turn properly. I think it is where a garage has not had the wheels pointing straight ahead when they have disconnected the battery and the fog lights system gets confused about what is straight ahead aligned with the wheels which in turn messes up how far it can steer the fogs with the steering left/right.

Have you tried having the wheels pointing straight ahead, with the switch in the "On/straight ahead" position and then disconnecting the steering fogs fuse for a few minutes. Re-fit the fuse then try turning the steering lock to lock with the switch in the "On/follow the steering" switch position.

I think mine worked normally after that or I may have done it again but disconnecting the battery instead of the fuse.

Return to “Electrical”