fitting lowering springs - parts to replace at same time?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

smith123

fitting lowering springs - parts to replace at same time?

Post by smith123 »

I'm planning to fit some tein lowering springs to my 2003 mr2 (80k) next weekend, are there any parts that its worth replacing at the same time just to refresh the suspension?
HighwayStar

Re: fitting lowering springs - parts to replace at same time?

Post by HighwayStar »

Personally I'd just check everything over and replace only what is worn but of course the ideal would be to refresh the lot. Check the holding cups at the top of the springs and the topmounts and bump stops.. they'll be taking more punishment than before. Check what you need to with the car on the floor before lifting it for removal and checking what you need to underneath. Give yourself a few days when you don't need the car so you can source whatever you end up needing.
Be particularly careful of the condition of the shocks since they'll get a much harder life once the new springs are on and will need to start in good condition. Have you got spring compressors etc?
Once it's all done don't forget you'll need the geometry redoing and perhaps altering to compensate for the new ride height and most importantly... post up some nice before and after piccies. :thumleft:
Hope it goes well.

R
RST

Post by RST »

Do you have your hart set on lowering springs or are coilovers still an option (they need be no more harsh than stock nevermind lowering sprig set-up). Just I've been there and got the T shirt and will always say look at the condition of your...

Top mounts
Rubber cups in which the top of the spring seats
Rubber boots on the shock piston if they're separate from above
Bump stops
The shocks themselves

....been there with lowering springs before, and they never dropped what they said and were always terrible with stock shocks (even with new ones). Just throwing the question open because I always fit coilovers on cars now -there's always a model which suits and I always ended up spending the same money replacing everything else before.

....so if you want a hit list purely from experience on fitting springs I'd say...

Top mounts
Rubber spring cups
Rubber boots
Bump stops
Shoks

That will see the best of your lowering springs otherwise you're mixing new with old.

One last thing I will say with spring compressors is be flipping careful, I have seen a spring flip out from one in the workshop I used to work in, they were banned after that.

(I just ordered some coilovers for my 2002 Roadster through Rogue -almost the same price for replacing everything, I fit coilovers on everything now though plus I only want a 15mm drop. Guess I'm maybe a bit biased though)
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

RST wrote:Do you have your hart set on lowering springs or are coilovers still an option

I guess coilovers probably aren't an option since he, and every other single mk3 owner in the world, already has coilovers on the car :P ;)
RST

Post by RST »

OK -am looking at the parts database and seeing allot of stuff in there which I'd personally renew. Maybe my terminology is wrong. I'd still buy a drop out / drop in matched AEM complete kit which allow a custom drop rather than muck around with the stock one and accept a fixed drop.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”