Unichip & uprated intercooler

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FizzyBlueMr2

Unichip & uprated intercooler

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Hi,

Been thinking (oh oh! ;) ) about upgrading the standard intercooler on my rev 3 turbo.

Its been fitted with a unichip, with a reasonably safe mapping - a max boost of 17psi at 5000 rpm, which reduces to 14 or so towards the redline.....

I think its probably a safe bet to assume an uprated intercooler would help keep the engine happier, and also allow higher boost levels at a later date.. may even consider a chargecooler.

Ok, so from what I understand with the unichip, in order to utilise the new cooling to its best I would need a remap...... but what effect would there be on the car if the new intercooler/chargecooler was fitted without/prior to remap? Would the car just run a little badly, or is there potential for damage?

Basically just wondering whether I would need to get a remap done at the same time as getting a new intercooler/chargecooler fittted, or if I could get it done at a later date?

Any recommendations on uprated intercoolers?

Sorry if I sound a little nieve, but this is my first turbo'd car! :lol:

- Ian.
raptor95GTS

Re: Unichip & uprated intercooler

Post by raptor95GTS »

you can uprate the intercooler without having to remap , certainly on the std setup anyway. It won't cause any damage but the car will feel 'better' with the cooler air due to the intercooler change. Obviously remapping the car afterwards will yield even better results

My own 2p is go for a chargecooler - much better performance on a mid engined layout :D
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

Very interested that you are running Unichip boost controller. I recently posted question about whether Unichip could contol fuel cut. replies seemed to think only the boost control unit could. Is that how it works?

If you are running 17psi, where is fuel cut set?

As far as intercoolers are concerned, the advice I have been given as a new owner of a turbo is that the standard one should be ditched as soon as possible. Whether you go for a charge cooler or not depends I think on how far you intend to take your tuning. I personally have no intention of pushing mine anywhere near the limit and for me therefore I think a good replacement intercooler will be fine.

Chargecoolers require a lot of extra plumbing, another radiator etc. but if you are an out and out power man, thats the way to go from the outset.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I reckon a spearco IC would be ideal for ya.
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

Spearco is what I am after. Can they be bought in this country, havn't found anywhere yet?
FizzyBlueMr2

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

To be honest I frankly have no idea how the unichip gets around the fuel cut problem. It was already fitted to the car when I bought it.

I fitted an aftermarket boost gauge a little while after getting it (greddy electronic type) and on occasion, in cold weather and the like, I have seen it boost as high as 1.25 bar! Needless to say I go easy on the throttle when its that kinda mood.... :lol:

I do know however that there is only the unichip and boost module fitted - I haven't found any other strange boxes or devices plugged in that may bypass the fuel cut. The standard recirc valve is also fitted.

I've also managed to get in touch with the previous owner who actually did the engine conversion/modding (it wasn`t the guy I bought it off! ;) ) so now I know the full life history of the car, whats been done to it and the thinking behind it etc, which to me makes it a very special car.... :wink:

I have emailed a query to Rogue Systems for more info on the charge cooler setup, costs and what problems/additional steps having the unichip fitted may create. Guess I'll evaluate my options when I get some more info! :lol:
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

It seems as if the boost module is sorting it all out.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Skywalker wrote:I reckon a spearco IC would be ideal for ya.

The thing is, in this weather, the Spearco will be fine, but come the summer when the days are hotter, it's not much of an improvement. Ideally, the fan needs to be driven full time.

The cost of the Spearco doesn't make it much cheaper than a chargecooler, and ISTR that some people have been having hassle getting one from the States (long delivery times).
FizzyBlueMr2

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

I agree there. even for "cheap" uprated intercoolers it looks like at least £500 - £600? Thats a large amount of cash that could go toward the chargecooler.

I would suspect the CC setup would 1000+? Only thing is I guess the labout to fit it will be loads too - whereby a new intercooler should be ok as a diy job?

Decisions, decisions!! Guess it all depends on the CC costs I get back...
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

FizzyBlueMr2 wrote:I agree there. even for "cheap" uprated intercoolers it looks like at least £500 - £600? Thats a large amount of cash that could go toward the chargecooler.

I would suspect the CC setup would 1000+? Only thing is I guess the labout to fit it will be loads too - whereby a new intercooler should be ok as a diy job?

Decisions, decisions!! Guess it all depends on the CC costs I get back...

Most Air to Air IC replacements for the MR2 are side mount, ie in the stock replacement, and this is a PIG of a job for a pro mechanic, let alone a DIYer. So if you're going to replace the IC, chances are you've got some heavy labour on your hands. :(
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

goto be the celica charge cooler set up - should cost no more than 350 squid all in - unichip will happily control boost on a rev 3 but not so on rev 1&2.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I owned the Spearco and would have to agree that at this time of year it yeilds great results over that of the standed unit. Come the summer time, it will be a different story! :cry:

I ditched mine in favour of the Roque/Pace charge-cooler set up. So far it has been the best money yet spent on the car. In short, it has left me with more power more of the time :D It's not cheap at around £1000.00, but it does out perform the I/C by a long way.

As for DIY fitting, I would say that so long as your reasonably able with the spanners, and are able to follow instructions, you'll not have to much bother fitting yourself. I've become an old hand at removing I/C's now but knew nothing before my first attempt :wink:

Mikejc
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Has anyone looked at other intercoolers that are available on ebay? May be a bit of a pig to fit if you're not planning on major work... but there are some massive ones to be had for not much money... e.g Discovery TDi intercooler for £50 (about 3 times bigger than std turbo)

http://search.ebay.co.uk/intercooler_W0QQsoloctogZ9

Return to “Modifications”