Shock Horror!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

System-G

Shock Horror!

Post by System-G »

Well it's not that bad...

Went for a drive yesterday and the car felt like tyre pressures were well out. Right to the point where I had to pull over thinking I had a puncture. It turns out the offside rear shock has gone all spongy :(

I am thinking of uprating the shocks all round now. The obvious choices are the Koni adjustables and KYB. I have checked pricing on DCDezigns and Fensport :shock: DCDezigns only seem to do the full Koni kit including springs for a little more than Fensports shock only pricing. I don't need springs as I bought the car already fitted with PI's.

I don't think I need adjustables as I will probably only be doing one or two track days a year. But they can still be an option.

Are there any other uprate options worth considering?

Are there any other suppliers (other than Feniies or DCD) of said items for an 85 MKIa?
Anyone got a good 2nd hand set (uprated) going?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
pistol supercharged pete

Re: Shock Horror!

Post by pistol supercharged pete »

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=KON ... 617234&a=i

koni ajustables cheapest suspension kit i have found from these an i know peeps that have use them and sai they are very good

pete
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

IMO the konis are better than the KYBs. They give a better ride quality too.

If you can stretch to it go for the konis. Doesn't matter if you don't adjust them all the time, i generally leave mine alone for the most part, though i just stiffen the rears up for trackdays as they seem a bit hard on teh road on full stiff.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Lol.....guess the field parking didn't help today.... :lol:

Good luck sorting.

See you on the 21st. Maybe you will have fixed it or at least decided which option your going for. :wink:
System-G

Post by System-G »

pistol supercharged pete wrote:[url]koni ajustables cheapest suspension kit i have found

pete

Not a bad price at all 8)
But the KYB's do come in a lot cheaper. Even through the pricey Fensport @ £210 plus VAT.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

dcdezign quoted me 360 on a koni kit at JAE - with a bit of negotiation you should still be able to get that price out of them.
tunna_uk

thats interesting

Post by tunna_uk »

After reading that I think my winter project will be to fit the Koni kit, what do you think about the Poly bushes, they seem very expensive from fensport and you can't buy direct?
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Get the polybushes from twosrus.com or twosrus.co.uk; much, much cheaper. I got mine from the US site for 90 quid including shipping.

Definitely worth it... quite a few on my 88 t-bar were perished and/or split or cracking.
tunna_uk

poly bushes

Post by tunna_uk »

cheers will have a look

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”