Should I?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Should I?

Post by tonigmr2 »

Rogue use short blocks from Toyota anyway I think, it's not a bad solution!
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

ekona wrote:
Spot-on, you'd need a new short block at least, and that's assuming the precats were either gutted before the oval bores or are still 100%, else you could have more serious damage throughout the engine. Replacing the engine isn't actually too bad if you've got access to an engine lift and pit (and remember to disconnect the clutch cable, something I completely forgot to do last time I did it! :oops: ), it's just another engine after all.

Cheers Dan. Do you think a couple of days is a realistic amount of time to do a leisurely DIY swap? Unforuntaly no PIT, but we do have a hoist to lift the car and drop the engine out underneath.

I don't think there's a particularly good source for the 1ZZ so just give some local guys a call, and don't forget that if you use the one from the Avensis or Corolla you'll need to sort out the engine mount too, and I don't think that JDM engines have the oil warmer either. :)

Any view on the 2ZZ swap - too much hassle for not enough 'accessable' gain? I can see it would be good for track use when you can keep the revs up, but in normal road driving is it reasonable to keep the revs wound right up to get the benefit of the 2ZZ ?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Two days should be fine as long as you've got the hands to spare (can be a bit fiddly getting stuff lined up). As for the 2ZZ, I think it really depends on how you enjoy driving cars in general: Some like big lazy torquey engines, some like ones they can rev the nuts off. Given that the 2ZZ power delivery is identical to the 1ZZ until it goes into lift, personally I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. You'd probably want a PFC to run the thing though to be able to adjust the lift point an extract the most from the engine.

If Jo's 1ZZ broke tomorrow, and we could sort the insurance for her, then I'd do everything in my power to convince her that she'd want a 2ZZ in there, put it that way ;)

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”