Mr2Turbo vs Supra

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Paul R

Re: Mr2Turbo vs Supra

Post by Paul R »

MegatronUK wrote:All TT's are available in 6-speed with LSD, or 4 speed auto with overdrive and optionally LSD.

UK TT (2997cc, 6cyl, twin turbo with steel blades)= 326bhp (there are no late spec UK cars)

early J-Spec TT (2997cc, 6cyl, twin turbo with ceramic blades) = 320bhp (if you hear 280bhp it is WRONG, standard imported cars have been dyno tested and are all within ~5-10 bhp of UK models).

late J-Spec TT (2997cc, 6cyl, twin turbo with VVTi with ceramic blades) = 330-ish, slightly more torque.

Normal 0-60 times you hear banded around are 4.9 for the 6 speed, and 5.1-5.2 for the Auto. A lot of folks (me included) reckon the auto is an easier car to drive faster (you really have to drive one to see just how good the auto box is), of the cars that do drag runs, they are almost always the fastest. Top speeds of all models once derestriced are 170mph.

The J-spec v UK debate your heard about is always going on... basically the UK spec got all the goodies as standard and the steel turbine blades last longer and are slightly better top end, the J-Spec had all the options still, but had to be specced with them when bought... it also got ceramic turbine blades as the GT4 and MR2 did - people who have driven them back to back reckon the J-Spec spools up and is on the power faster... but there is not much in it at all

all normally aspirated models are J-Spec:

early n/a (2997cc, 6cyl) = 220-225bhp
late n/a (2997cc, 6cyl, VVTi) = 235-240bhp

0-60 times just over 6 seconds. Top speed 150mph.

Has the CT20 turbo not got steel blades?

Paul.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

90-94 MR2 and ST185 GT4 had the ceramic bladed CT26. I don't know whether the later models had steel or ceramic blades.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I've gone head to head with my friends 450 bhp Supra on a number of occassions. He's still yet to beat me over the 1/4 mile. From a standing start my car has the legs up 100mph, at which point he starts gaining. 110 and he's passing! :cry:

Mikejc
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

That has nt totally surprised me to be honest.
I always thought a Supra was alot heavier than an Mr2.

I have thought of a Supra for my next car, (its the logical step).
Although i think their only faster at higher speeds?!

Graeme
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

The stats speak for themselves as I've said. Stock v stock the Supra TT is faster at all speeds. I'm not getting in to all the modded v stock, modded v modded crap.

It's a completely different kind of speed to the MR2 T, they'll cruise at 120 all day, and the accelleration when you're already motoring along at 80-90 and floor it is fantastic. It's more of a proper GT sports/tourer motor, rather than a back road blaster. Its also an easy car to drive, and really easy to drive fast... but it'll bite your legs off if you don't respect it though.

The MR2 is a much more nimble car for B-road twisties, but the Supe is a great handling car for the size.

Even though it has two rear seats, don't expect to get anyone in them.. theres not much room than an MR2 in there ;-)
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Has the CT20 turbo not got steel blades?

AFAIA none of the J-spec MR2's got steel blades, I don't even think the WRC edition J-spec GT-4's got steel......only some of you lucky buggers with UK ST205's had the steel Ct20b option.

Now I'm not getting in to any MR2 bashing here, but the fact is that the Supe was built to go faster than the MR2, and does so in all Turbo guises (auto, manual, jspec, uk).

Iv'e always wondered how true that was......talking stock standard. From what I have seen in the way of stock quarter mile & 0-100 sprints Im sure the Type III upwards MR2 turbo is quicker but Toyota didn't want to publish the numbers as not to embarrass the older, more expensive big brother ;)

I have a mate with a pretty grunty Auto TT and it's quick, awesome car with HEAPS of power.....I'd NEVER even attempt to take one on unless it was off the mark, they OWN motorway pulls 8)

Bring on the twisty's I say :lol:

Cheers
KiwiMR2
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Yea Stock V Stock a jspec supra is faster than rev3 tubby. I have jap vids of stock supra gt4 an tubby racin over 1/4 mile and both gt4 and mr2 rev3 were beating the supra off launch up to about 70mph but the supra just pipped em both in end. Overall over the 1/4 the stock gt4 was slowest(not by much tho) mr2 2nd supra 1rst.
I still think as a drivers car the mr2 is king out of the three Turbo muscle Toyota made. Its a drag car, B-roader and motorway cruiser. Best overall imo.

Toyota have become such pussies since. Bring back the Turbo beasts of yore! :evil:
Patrick Gray

Post by Patrick Gray »

mate i just looked at your spec and you have over 300bhp with an exhaust,decat and unichip.Where did you have your car dynoyed.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

pizza boy wrote:
I still think as a drivers car the mr2 is king out of the three Turbo muscle Toyota made. Its a drag car, B-roader and motorway cruiser. Best overall imo.

Toyota have become such pussies since. Bring back the Turbo beasts of yore! :evil:

but thats exactly what the supra tt is too!! appart from it's more comfortable!!

Paul.
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Patrick Gray wrote:mate i just looked at your spec and you have over 300bhp with an exhaust,decat and unichip.Where did you have your car dynoyed.

Pizza Boy got his done at Dastek UK, in Dalgety Bay. That guy Gerry (the one who used to be the WRC ecu man with Toyota) did it for him, the one who taught Dino at Owens Development. From memory it took the around 6 hours to get nice and perfect :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

KiwiMR2 wrote:Iv'e always wondered how true that was......talking stock standard. From what I have seen in the way of stock quarter mile & 0-100 sprints Im sure the Type III upwards MR2 turbo is quicker but Toyota didn't want to publish the numbers as not to embarrass the older, more expensive big brother ;)

Thinking about it more he Gen3 motor was obviously under rated as far as hp is concerned. I would say realistically the true hp is between 260-270 at the crank. If you compare timeslips stock vs stock there is no way to go from 14.2 to 13.5 (stock times) on only 20ps. It won't happen. Another thought would be the ratings in Japan only to 280ps. Since the 320hp 3800lb $40k supra is rated at 280ps who would buy it over a 260ps 2800lb $30k mr2? ;)

Cheers
KiwiMR2
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

the 'Quoted figures' are 280 bhp for a J-Spec Supra TT. In reality they produce 320bhp. I havent seen a J-Spec on a dyno thats produced less than that (unless there was a problem).

Cheers,

Paul.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

KiwiMR2 wrote:
KiwiMR2 wrote:Iv'e always wondered how true that was......talking stock standard. From what I have seen in the way of stock quarter mile & 0-100 sprints Im sure the Type III upwards MR2 turbo is quicker but Toyota didn't want to publish the numbers as not to embarrass the older, more expensive big brother ;)

Thinking about it more he Gen3 motor was obviously under rated as far as hp is concerned. I would say realistically the true hp is between 260-270 at the crank. If you compare timeslips stock vs stock there is no way to go from 14.2 to 13.5 (stock times) on only 20ps. It won't happen. Another thought would be the ratings in Japan only to 280ps. Since the 320hp 3800lb $40k supra is rated at 280ps who would buy it over a 260ps 2800lb $30k mr2? ;)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

I cant see that rev3 cars all run 280bhp......otherwise everyone would have 300bhp mr2's with just an exhaust and de-cat, running 1 bar!! :D:D

240bhp is a reasonable figure for a stock car.

But hey, someone produce a dyno sheet and prove me wrong?

Paul.
Gazboy

Post by Gazboy »

Hi chaps- On Tuesday i sold my MR2T, and bought a stock Supra GZ auto.

My MR2 had 270bhp, and off the line would slaughter my Supe. It's probably quicker to 60-70mph, but that's mainly due to how quick it can go from stationary to motion. As someone said, once the Supra is moving, it will reel in the MR2, overtake and blow it away. I always thought my MR2 was fast (it still is really) from 80-130, but the Supra, over the same incriments would destroy the MR2.

I haven't explored over 130 (save it for the track) so i'll let you know what it's like in the upper reaches in March after my first airfield day with it.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Another Supra owner, enjoy, but take it steady this time of year :)
michael

Post by michael »

We should get our own section on here :)
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

So whats the `Supra GZ`?

I only ask as it seems the Supra is normally the next car after owning a MR2.

Graeme
michael

Post by michael »

The GZ is the "most things come as standard" version :)

Return to “Driving Experiences”