[Mk2] [Turbo] Wastegates!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wastegates!

Post by ashley »

My tial came with two weld on flanges and the clamps, so you probably cool buddy- which one did you order?? Mines an MV-R

And worth noting the exit of the gate is a different size to the inlet :wink:

Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I've ordered this one:
http://himni-racing.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=22

But am considering changing. I only ordered the 46 because my manifold has that flange, and seeing as I will be changing to a rev3 head, I won't be able to run that manifold anyway.

If I do stick with it, I'm thinking I will need the flange below and some steel pipe to weld on?

http://himni-racing.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=251
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Pics paint 1000 words

Turbo on SS manifold, under turbo on second flange is 48mm wastegate (huge) and screamer pipe which vents to the ground.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Spot on Jim, that's just what I was looking for. All I left off my order was the 46mm adapter I think, although I did see they sell banjos for the tial for the air lines I think. Are they necessary? Finally, where do you take the boost feed from, because on the tial site, the say to take the feed from pre-throttle plate, which I guess is somewhere between the turbo outlet and the throttle body on our cars?
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I'm trying to get my Wastegate changed for the MV-R (same as yours Ash). Noticed it comes as a complete kit with all the flanges and clamps I need (gone for V-Band too as I have with my turbo housing).
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

An MV-R (which i believe is 44mm) is going to be too big for a a GT30. Like Nathan said, a 38mm is good enough right up to GT35r which is the next size of turbo larger than the GT30 range.

If your WG is too big, your boost will drop as the WG opens. If your WG is too small, the turbo will continue to increase the boost pressure -otherwise known as creep. You want the WG to be the right size to keep the boost consistent to what its intended to be!

Also, the lesser the boost you want to run, the more important WG size will be as the majority of exhaust gasses will be being managed by the WG, diverting it from the turbo and hence keeping the spool low. The higher the boost, the more exhaust gasses will pass through the turbo and less will be diverted, therefore the LESS use the WG Will get thus the less important its size will be.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Changed again for the mv-s now. Still has the vband, but is just 38mm
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Mmm
I don't have any boost problems with a 48 mm wastegate when it opens.

JJ

Post by JJ »

I have a 50mm HKS on mine... no issues when it comes on song.. but I understand the possible issues...

Mine doesnt "scream" like other smaller ones ... as Nathans already mentioned, the smaller, the noisier ... Although mine is noisy, you can't really tell its externally gated with all the other exhaust and induction noises on full chat.

Friend has a 38mm and I can hear that over mine when he's in front belting it !!
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Welcome back JJ!

Well, for better or worse I'm either going to get and MV-R or an MV-S, depending on whether they read my email requesting an MV-S before they send the shipment (which should be today - not sure when today is over there as my last reply from them was at5:30 this morning...).

Either way, I'm sure I'll be happy once I have GT power.
ashley

Post by ashley »

The more important question is.....what colour did you order? :clown:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

ashman wrote:The more important question is.....what colour did you order? :clown:
:lol:
Take your pic..... :colors:

I've gone for blue as that is the general colour scheme in the engine bay. Not overly original, but if you want random colours (like purple), you limit your choices.

My Fidanza cam gears are also blue :thumleft:

(And my catch can and vacuum piping)
greeny

Post by greeny »

I run 2x 44m gates, 1x 44m per two pots with a gt40.

They're surprisingly responsive.

A 44m will be fine chap.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

The music stopped while I was decided on a 38mm MVS, so that is that :)

The shipment has been finalised and posted \:D/

If it's wrong, I can always change it I guess. I doubt I'd lose much money on a brand new Tial.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Welcome back JJ!

Cheers !

Where are we now... ??! you should stick a post in the project section .. Saves you repeating all the time ! :mrgreen: :thumleft:

Speed reading... you're sticking another turbo onto your stocker... and running lower boost ??!! And building another on the side ??!!

:thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

JJ wrote:Welcome back JJ!

Cheers !

Where are we now... ??! you should stick a post in the project section .. Saves you repeating all the time ! :mrgreen: :thumleft:

Funny you should say that....
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

You're spot on from the speed reading. I'll post a more directed thing on my project thread.
mark239

Post by mark239 »

I've a turbosmart 60mm gate - no probs holding boost at any level from spring pressure up
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

So I have an MVS vband type on the way which I know comes with the flanges, but what diameter pipe do I need for the screamer? Can't seem to find the info anywhere?!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

jimGTS wrote:Mmm
I don't have any boost problems with a 48 mm wastegate when it opens.

Thats probably because you are running 1.5 bar . put a smaller spring in your wastegate and dry running say 0.7 bar ..Should be a different story then!

And if it isn't a different story then what the hell is the point in making different sizes of wastegate!? Just showing one graph indicating a flat 1.5 bar means nothing. The higher the boost you run, the less the wastegate is going to do anything!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Mine arrived yesterday, and I think I actually landed up with an MV-R. It certainly looks exactly the same as Ashman's.

Does anyone bother running coolant to the Tial?

Return to “Modifications”