Siezed Caliper

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

832ARK

Siezed Caliper

Post by 832ARK »

Hi

On mway this morn got bad vibration - stopped and left front wheel very hot. This is obviously a siezed caliper but my question is is it likely to have warped the disk?

Cheers

Alistair
dai21t

Re: Siezed Caliper

Post by dai21t »

Same thing happened to me last week, vibration was really bad, thought a wheel was falling off! Stripped the caliper right down, one piston had seized, gave it all a good clean, seems ok now and luckily I didn't warp the discs, and there was smoke coming out of the front wheels when I got home. Discs are cheap enough anyway.
Stu Wilson

Post by Stu Wilson »

Could be wheel bearing :(
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

832ARK wrote:Hi

On mway this morn got bad vibration - stopped and left front wheel very hot. This is obviously a siezed caliper but my question is is it likely to have warped the disk?

Cheers

Alistair

If your brake pad has worn out due to a seized caliper then you may have scored the disc badly in which case you would probably need to replace it. You won't know till you whip the wheel off and get a good look at the disc.
1000 PR

Siezed caliper

Post by 1000 PR »

I have dismantled front brakes on Mk2's umpteen times to free off frozen or sticky caliper pistons but after a while the problem re-appears and the only long term solution is to replace the whole caliper, either with a new or reconditioned item. Why is it the front's always go sticky on MK2's and the rears on MK1's? If left unattended, I have heard of wheels completely locking up causing 180/360 degree turns mid-motoring, or of tyres blowing out from the excess heat, so watch out!
lower

Post by lower »

i got away without the disc warping when this happened on my old turbo. but don't think you can just get away with unsticking the seized piston. it will only seize again. get a refubed exhange from brakes international.

832ARK wrote:Hi

Cheers

Alistair
832ARK

Post by 832ARK »

Thanks for all your help, ordered a refurb caliper yesterday but freed off the siezed piston so i can drive it till the weekend. Havibg driven it today i found that the disk had warped so have ordered disks as well. Are the disks from barkes int any good as theuy seem well cheap.

Cheers

Alistair
Stu Wilson

Post by Stu Wilson »

Discs from Brakes International are excellent quality manufactured in Germany.I have them all round.

Return to “Mechanical”