Gearboxes??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

NickB

Gearboxes??

Post by NickB »

Will the gearbox from a 1992 TOYOTA CELICA ST202 2.0 16V be the same as that on my 1991 UK NA GTi Rev1??

Cheers

NickB
^Trickster^

Re: Gearboxes??

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I may be wrong here, but im sure the mr2 gearboxes are unique to the mr2, but that might only be the E153 as obviously celica turbos are 4 wheels drive, like i say not 100% maybe someone else will know better than I

Graeme
CJ B

Post by CJ B »

I'm also only guessing but as the engine is the other way around even if it did physically fit wouldnt the car go backwards really quickly - 5 reverse gears and 1 forward
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

CJB wrote:I'm also only guessing but as the engine is the other way around even if it did physically fit wouldnt the car go backwards really quickly - 5 reverse gears and 1 forward

I don't think the engine is the other way round! In fact i know it isn't.

The gear linkage would need to be reversed however, but that isn't overly difficult.

Then engines are obviously the same, though you might need to faff around with the engine loom, but its entirely possible i guess.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

the celica Na box can be used as lauren says if the shift linkage is swapped to the other side.A gt4 box however will never fit,not unless you want a transfer box hanging out of your rear bumper.

Return to “Mechanical”