Tool for removing head bolts?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nutter

Re: Tool for removing head bolts?

Post by nutter »

If you're careful you can hacksaw the protuding piece of bolt off from the bottom of the cylinder head. then with a suitable tool (read screwdriver) you can persuade the bolt out of the head. No need to remove the cams to get the bolt out then
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Hacksaw the bottom of the bolt off of the cylinder head????WHAT? lol...

As the bolt is in the block, how the hell would I saw the bottom of it off............I mustbe missing something here! lol :D

Paul.
Terry

Post by Terry »

You need a 12mm Spline. Looks like this:

Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

For those who have chewed the heads of the head bolts taking them out I found using a long reach bit, with a ring spanner at the top meant I could knock the spanner with a rubber mallet. The spanner would turn the bit and shock the bolts loose.

Cheers

James
nutter

Post by nutter »

I meant when you've got the head off lol!, as mentioned before by other people you can extract all the head bolts except the one next to the inlet cam. You can undo them all, get the head to a bench and then hacksaw the bottom of the bolt off
steve b

Post by steve b »

ok I'm confused here, I took my head off with a cut down allen key, glancing at the head bolts they look like star type ones when full of oil so indeed I thought thats what they were however when i went to remove them with my star type tool it wouldn't fit, they were multi position allen bolts the same as a socket.

I also came across the not being able to remove the one bolt from the head problem.

Had no problem chewing the bolt heads as the long cut allen key cleared the head no problem.

So... do different revisions of engines have different bolts?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
JJ

Post by JJ »

No !! Might have been off before !

Why are you stripping it anyway ??? have you blown something or are you just bored ? :lol:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

JJ wrote:

No !! Might have been off before !

Why are you stripping it anyway ??? have you blown something or are you just bored ? :lol:

why am I stripping it? sorry, was that directed at me? :)

Paul.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

To clarify:

I need a 12mm extended start socket? I'm going to Halfrauds today to exchange the Torx set that I bought! :P

Cheers,

Paul.

Return to “Mechanical”