I remember now..

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: I remember now..

Post by matt_mr2t »

excalibur1814 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:IMO there's nothing in the same league as the Mk2 turbo.

In terms of bang for your bucks nothing can come near it. You can pick up rev1 or 2's for under £2k, .

I did exactly that, purchased a Rev1 Turbo for 1.4k and and I would NEVER do it again. It was probably the car but just about EVERY single mechanical part was replaced over four years with only the passenger side windows regulator being original. 4....yes, FOUR engine rebuilds as it simply wouldn' work with an eventual cost of 11k. I simply wanted the car to work so I stupidly stuck with it.

Reliable? Depends on the car. I would think twice before buying a new one but then again, maybe I was simply unlucky in a big way :cry:

You'd have been better off sourcing a replacement engine after the first re-build :shock:
excalibur1814

Aggh

Post by excalibur1814 »

Yep. I was on holiday when I got the call asking if I'd like the engine to be fixed so I said yes and when I got the bill (Rebuild, again) I could have died as for the same cash I could have thrown in a rev3 engine with turbo :cry:
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

I agreemate. Its all very well people saying you can get a tubby for under 2k but these car are 'generally' dogs. I still say good ones start at 3-4k. Given the current climate, you will find people desperate and massively underselling their cars but those are few and far between. Its a false economy as you'll just end up suffering further financial and emotional stress.

Something else to consider is that most cars on the market now are hitting (or are well past0 the 80k mark. in my mind, a four pot turbocharged motor with that milage needs to be viewed with caution. by all means buy it and enjoy it but keep a few thousand in teh abnk for the potential rebuild.

After my beloved rev1 was driven into, I sourced a very cheap and minty rev2 to move everything over to. The car drove fine adn pulled well. Didnt really care about the engine as my forged unit would be moved over.

Only once taking the engine out and testing it was it tounf to have 50% compression on cyl 1 and oil swamping cyl 3. had anyone else haev bought this beautiful rev2 sub £2k tubby they would have ben facing a pooped engine just around the corner. Point made.

£10k? Heck, I'd do some really special things to my car and by an FD RX7 too.

If I didnt haev an MR2 at the time, then I probabaly would look for the best thing to new out there. (Newera Imports £9.6k?)

B
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:................
in my mind, a four pot turbocharged motor with that milage needs to be viewed with caution. by all means buy it and enjoy it but keep a few thousand in teh abnk for the potential rebuild...........

oh bu88er, my rev3 is sitting at 122k miles on original engine / turbo and only changed the clutch at 114k. Just tanned it at 17psi today cause the sun was out, tbars off, radio?? Pah just listen to that turbo / induction / Legalis opening their lungs! Well, I had to road test it since I changed the plugs today............. 8-[

Return to “Driving Experiences”