ZS180 pretty quick motors

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

What you think?

They're a rover in drag and poo
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: ZS180 pretty quick motors

Post by matt_mr2t »

benedwards64 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Just off the top of my head, Integra Type R, Civic Type R, all sports Clio's, RS Megans, Focus RS & ST models. I'm sure if I sat here for 10 minutes I could list another 20 FWD cars held in much higher regard for handling.

Matt, if you ever get a change to drive one of these I suggest you take it. Yes, there is a whole myriad of good-handling fwd cars but I have been absolutely blown awayu by the zed. The suspension, steering and brakes are so confidence inspiring - it is nothing short of brilliant. The V6 is an absolute peach - really torquey low down and very revvy when you give it the beans thanks to the 7k red line. I've had far more fun in the last two days than I did in either my MR2 or the Supra over the last two years. It handles better than my Mk1 hands down.

I have driven one, I drove one for about 5-6 laps of Brands hatch and was completely unimpressed with everything other than how comfy and solid it felt.
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

My mate used to havethe 1.8 one and it was ...RUBBISH.

The chassis felt about a solid as a toothbrush and it didnt really feel like te steering was connected to anything.

I saw above that someone was considering selling there '2 for one....are you insane? :mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

matt_mr2t wrote:
benedwards64 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Just off the top of my head, Integra Type R, Civic Type R, all sports Clio's, RS Megans, Focus RS & ST models. I'm sure if I sat here for 10 minutes I could list another 20 FWD cars held in much higher regard for handling.

Matt, if you ever get a change to drive one of these I suggest you take it. Yes, there is a whole myriad of good-handling fwd cars but I have been absolutely blown awayu by the zed. The suspension, steering and brakes are so confidence inspiring - it is nothing short of brilliant. The V6 is an absolute peach - really torquey low down and very revvy when you give it the beans thanks to the 7k red line. I've had far more fun in the last two days than I did in either my MR2 or the Supra over the last two years. It handles better than my Mk1 hands down.

I have driven one, I drove one for about 5-6 laps of Brands hatch and was completely unimpressed with everything other than how comfy and solid it felt.

track is a LOT different to on the road.. and everyday use..
cdti

Post by cdti »

rossdymond3352 wrote:My mate used to havethe 1.8 one and it was ...RUBBISH.

The chassis felt about a solid as a toothbrush and it didnt really feel like te steering was connected to anything.

I saw above that someone was considering selling there '2 for one....are you insane? :mrgreen:

Far from it mate, its quicker than my 2, easier to drive, more comfortable, more fun, cheaper insurance for me and im only 21, fuel consumption is better, and best of all it has 3 more seats, so I can go out with the lads in it.

Apart from styling, which has grown on me, what other areas do you think the 2 is better?
ryan

Post by ryan »

No matter how good a handler it is, or how nice the V6 sounds, its a true munter of a car isnt it? :?
...and what were they thinking on the last of the run out models, that big spoiler and the naff metal looking (but plastic) surround around the exhaust, very barry boy, its like they went out of their way to undermine the cars positive attributes.
Whats the pasts supply like for Rovers now?
cdti

Post by cdti »

ryan wrote:No matter how good a handler it is, or how nice the V6 sounds, its a true munter of a car isnt it? :?
...and what were they thinking on the last of the run out models, that big spoiler and the naff metal looking (but plastic) surround around the exhaust, very barry boy, its like they went out of their way to undermine the cars positive attributes.
Whats the pasts supply like for Rovers now?

lol, i actually love the huge spoiler (and it keeps the back end planted at high speed), and the metal looking thing, is in fact metal, on the one we got it is anyway.

Parts supply is good, plenty second hand and xpart/motor factors for new.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I actually think they're not bad looking cars. The whole Z range is ok for what they are. The only one I feel MG cocked up on was the MG(T)F (IE both)

The interior on the hatch and small saloons are a bit bland but barable. The interior in the 75 based one is actually reasonably nice, kind of a budget Jag really. I've been out in, but not drive, a V6 75 (not the MG) and as a comfortable cruiser, it was quite a nice car if I'm honest.

I can see the appeal of the ZS, but for me I would rather the diesel as the V6 just isn't fast enough to justify the associated running costs.

I was actually looking online at the classifieds for sporty(ish) diesels and the ZS was the main one that caught my eye. This was before this thread even emerged.

Return to “Driving Experiences”