saxo 1.1

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

easty-5

Re: saxo 1.1

Post by easty-5 »

Will, you are as much as an idiot over here than over on ZSOC.

For the record, Willfinch used to own a Fiesta Zetec-S and used to be one of these hothatch fanboys Matt speaks of. His Fiesta was the fastest thing on the roads when he owned it, much like his semi-supercar MR2.

Anyway, I love understated hot hatch motors. My old 106 GTi used to run 155bhp and weighed just shy of 900kgs. It was a superb trackcar. It was nippy to 100, but as Matt has pointed out, it used to run out of puff after about 90ish. I say nippy because it still used to get mullered on the straights by the turbo boys. The corners however were a completely different story.

I then had my Starlet Glanza. It was running about 210bhp with matching torque and weighed about 900kgs. That was fast for a hot hatch. It was about on similar pace to your run of the mill impreza's. It would match my Standard Rev3 tubby from a rolling start, say 20-90. Again though, after 100 it would run out of puff due to it only being a 1.3.

As they saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

marc GT Turbo wrote:didnt notice matt :lol: :lol: its the lexarse lights that blew me away :lol: :lol:

They add at least 10 BCP (brake-chav-power)
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

easty-5 wrote:Will, you are as much as an idiot over here than over on ZSOC.

For the record, Willfinch used to own a Fiesta Zetec-S and used to be one of these hothatch fanboys Matt speaks of. His Fiesta was the fastest thing on the roads when he owned it, much like his semi-supercar MR2.

thumleft:

lol d1ck , havent really taken onboard what ive said!
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

matt_mr2t wrote:
marc GT Turbo wrote:didnt notice matt :lol: :lol: its the lexarse lights that blew me away :lol: :lol:

They add at least 10 BCP (brake-chav-power)

:lol: :clap: i like that one :thumleft:
1993 GT TURBO
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

i get it ! so 60 bhp translates into 260 bcp :clown:
1993 GT TURBO
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

marc GT Turbo wrote:i get it ! so 60 bhp translates into 260 bcp :clown:

About that yes. And as a rule of thumb, bling = extra power.
Oh and never forget, if a universal airfilter says up to 10bhp gain, it WILL be 10bhp.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

:+:
1993 GT TURBO
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

And dont forget volume. It stands to reason that the more noise that comes from the exhaust MUST mean it's more powerful and subsequently, the car is actually going faster than it is.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

its all so clear now matt

1993 GT TURBO
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Kinda related, in a way...

A couple of years ago I was tootling down a dual carriageway (in my bog-standard n/a) at about 50mph, see a queue of cars plodding along so I indicate and move out into the right-hand lane.
At the last minute some guy in a repmobile lurches out in front of me with black smoke billowing out the exhaust as he obviously revs the nuts off his diesel to get it up to speed.
I figured he was getting in the right-hand lane so he could turn right further up the road so I move across to the left lane and just go with the traffic until the car in front turns left and there's a clear road ahead of me.
I change down into 3rd and start to accelerate.
More black smoke from repmobile man next to me then he cuts into the left lane in front of me.
This kind of thing occurs 2 or 3 more times along the dual carriageway, resulting in me being more puzzled than anything.
Eventually, there's a roundabout ahead and I indicate and move into the right lane so I can turn right.
I think I must've been ahead of repmobile man byt this point, purely due to traffic in different lanes moving at different speeds, cos I see him pull up along side me on my left and wind his window down.
More confused than anything (I guess I am a little naive) I wind my window down to see what he wants and this 40-something sales rep (c/w suit jacket hung up against the back window) leans out and shouts "YOU THINK THAT'S A FANCY CAR? IT'S F**KING NOTHING. IT'S NOTHING!!!"
Erm, okay.
Then, as a parting gesture, he turned right at the roundabout (from the left-hand lane), thus cutting me up yet again.

Only real point being that there's a helluva lot of anger and hatred and envy out there on the roads and some people seem to think that EVERYTHING is personal.

On a similar note, an ex-boss of mine owns a Jaguar JX220 which he used to drive into work on a Friday but he stopped because he says he got sick of being cut up by every chav in a hot-hatch who felt like they had something to prove.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:On the other hand, why go for something you know 10000000% that you wont get near?

If I was in the tubby and fancied picking on some one it would be a Scooby, Evo, may be an older 911.
I wouldnt be picking a fight with an SLR, Carerra GT or Mercielago though =;

Sometimes it's just a bit of fun. Remember when I posted the thread when I pulled up to some lights next to a 997 turbo? I was in Pat the Panda with it's 100 fiery italian stallions. I did it because I wanted to see how quick a 997 turbo would leave me for dead. The answer? Pretty quickly, was like an exocet missile. Bit of fun really.

On the other hand when I've been in the Teg, BMW or my old SC's I've had plenty of people try it on off the lights. If I could be bothered I'd go for it, just so they can see. A bit like being on the other side of the fence to my panda against the 997 turbo experience. Don't take it too seriously. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
turbo Tom

Post by turbo Tom »

i can see both sides of this argument as i vaguely know loudandproud205 from the 106oc, and i would happily have pitched my 157bhp 106 gti against any tubby on a nice twisty country lane but anything else would be stupid and now that i own a tubby i don't get every chav in his saxo or corsa trying to race me but it tends to be ep3 civic type r's that think that they are really fast but when they pull alongside or try and and get you to race from behind i dont see the point and think to myself ive got 245bhp you probably have little over 200 and leave them too it
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

user id on 106oc turbo tom????

am still on there lol, still there regional leader and events assistant.

the new wepons of choice seem to be well fettled ax's now thou as there even less weight and you can put the suspension of a 106gti on it resulting in crazyness (in small confined area's)

yes i miss my saxo, well till the turbo's boost kicks in and well then i just try avoid shop windows lol
turbo Tom

Post by turbo Tom »

my user id was GTI Tom but i dont go on anymore, i found the darkside and haven't looked back lol
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

aye i remember you commenting when i bought the car lol.

you were looking for a rev3 iirc.

hope you had more luc with yours than i did with mine, mind its been faultless mechanicly just "episodes" when its wet ;)

thats 3 pilgrims from 106owners on here then lol
me, you, easty
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

Indeed.

Although, I still miss my little 106. It was great fun, fast at the time (hadn't driven or been in faster cars) and parts were dirt cheap in comparison to jap crap.
turbo Tom

Post by turbo Tom »

yeah i got my rev 3 turbo but someone pulled out on me after owning it for just 5 weeks on a country lane and wrote it off for me but im due to pick another up in the next week or 2 another rev3 tubby but with a border kit and about 280ish bhp although nothing to back that claim up.

i had 2 gti's over three years and they were both just hassle it seemed to be one thing after another with them all the time so i got rid and i have never looked back, and i dont miss every idiot in a vtr with something to prove trying to crawl up my arsehole as i travel to and from work, and the mr2 is just made so much better and feels more stable at speed and is more comfortable, it seems there are quite a few people ditching their 106's mow for something better

Return to “Driving Experiences”