V10 Verses V10

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

JJ

V10 Verses V10

Post by JJ »

BMW E60 M5 V10 V’s Lamborghini Gallardo Spider V10

Both with similar engine configurations/ power and both paddleshift

After joining a section of road after leaving the perfect number 11 on the road ( testing the launch control of the M5 ) I find in front a Gallardo sitting confidently on the outside lane on the approach to a roundabout. As we both existed it, either his lead foot hit the loud pedal or the things fitted with exhaust valves and suddenly an almighty V10 howl was heard as he shot off !! Brilliant … can’t argue about the tantalising noise the machine makes.

Knowing the clear stretch of road very well, and having selected the M button which stiffens up the shockers, swaps maps from P400 to P500 sport mode, making the engine very responsive, heads up display becomes visable with gear, rev counter and speed, the traction control is stuck into M dynamic mode which basically allows for a large degree of wheel spinning / sliding before putting a stop to my for over cooking it and finally, switching from auto to paddleshift.

Wound my V10 up …sadly only the engine note can be heard through its 10 throttle bodies as it drowns out the exhaust note…on the approach to the next roundabout, I find myself entering it at some speed having the paddleshift blipping itself into 2nd, both exiting in tandem, I heard the lambo hard on the throttle where my hammer went down only to find a car length immediately shredded out of me.. then something amused me…..

Both hard on the acceleration, mine howling through the gears all the way to 8300 rpm, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th……I find the ole 4 door saloon glued to this roaring bull which is not bad for 1.8 tonne and 3 fatties in it…with another 2 gears to spare, we run out of road, back down on the approach to a roundabout, hard on the brakes, the roundabouts exists having a somewhat adverse camber saw not only mine squirming on the exist but also the lambo stepping out when both back on the throttle, traction control light flashing at me like a Latvian red light ! This little snaking exercise sacrificed forward direction and I find the lambo again partially moving away till the gas flow starts flowing above 5K rpm and it was as if we were stood still, both cars in a staggered parallel with a combined 20 cylinders and a 1000+bhp roaring to the open road.

As we worked our way back to civilisation, both eased off with a nod of acknowledgement.

The disappointment in it all, I only wished I was out in the MR2 as I would have nailed that Gallardo on the exit !! :mrgreen: Satisfaction of a 17 year old Jap crap with a blower !!! :mrgreen:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Steve Horrocks

Re: V10 Verses V10

Post by Steve Horrocks »

:shock: :clap: :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Awesome read :clap:
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

what sort of power do you think an mr2 would need to beat a car like that. ive beat some nice cars v8 vantage by alot wich supprised me, carreras and a 360 modena presuming it was a real one. but the likes of m5's and gallardo's are another step up.

in the future im looking for arround 400 ponies but i think im going to have to start lower until i forge everything. im currently running between 280 and 300 id say.

i love the face on the driver when you go past in a 17 year old mr2 lol
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

great read john :thumleft:
1993 GT TURBO
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

timmomr2 wrote:what sort of power do you think an mr2 would need to beat a car like that. ive beat some nice cars v8 vantage by alot wich supprised me, carreras and a 360 modena presuming it was a real one. but the likes of m5's and gallardo's are another step up.

in the future im looking for arround 400 ponies but i think im going to have to start lower until i forge everything. im currently running between 280 and 300 id say.

Beat them at what?

Drag race from standing still? Motorway blat from rolling? Round a race track?
Looking classy?
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

no just a simple play on the motorway, or maybe from standstill. on track is another story
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

RedMR² wrote:Awesome read :clap:

lol, I always enjoy JJs encounters :clap: :clap:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i enjoy it,

got nod of approval from an evo 10 owner on sunday first time cars been out properly since i increased boost, cant wait to have exhaust fitted now as its the most restricting part of the car at the min
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

timmomr2 wrote:no just a simple play on the motorway, or maybe from standstill. on track is another story

On a motorway, not as much as you'd think sometimes, well, up to a certain speed. Dont forget, unrestricted an M5 will happily exceed 200mph
Most other supercars do 185+ mph as well.

In drag races, it all depends on what your up against, some supercars dont have that great a 1/4 mile time for their power, some do. The big difference I would see is that a tuned up tubby will probably wheel spin through the first three gears, get the power down, then catch and over take the supercar (with enough power)

Track, again, totally different and depends on the supercar in question.

But, lets be honest, if I was in an Aston or a Lambo and got overtaken by a 17 year old MR2, I really wouldnt be bothered :wink:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JJ, never knew you had an M5??

when we having that meet-up we was always on about? :mrgreen:
Stu Wilson

Post by Stu Wilson »

John

Do tell how you acquired an intimate knowledge of Latvian red lights. :D

Still crazy but ever stylish. :clap:
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

JJ wrote:BMW E60 M5 V10 V’s Lamborghini Gallardo Spider V10

Both with similar engine configurations/ power and both paddleshift

After joining a section of road after leaving the perfect number 11 on the road ( testing the launch control of the M5 ) I find in front a Gallardo sitting confidently on the outside lane on the approach to a roundabout. As we both existed it, either his lead foot hit the loud pedal or the things fitted with exhaust valves and suddenly an almighty V10 howl was heard as he shot off !! Brilliant … can’t argue about the tantalising noise the machine makes.

Knowing the clear stretch of road very well, and having selected the M button which stiffens up the shockers, swaps maps from P400 to P500 sport mode, making the engine very responsive, heads up display becomes visable with gear, rev counter and speed, the traction control is stuck into M dynamic mode which basically allows for a large degree of wheel spinning / sliding before putting a stop to my for over cooking it and finally, switching from auto to paddleshift.

Wound my V10 up …sadly only the engine note can be heard through its 10 throttle bodies as it drowns out the exhaust note…on the approach to the next roundabout, I find myself entering it at some speed having the paddleshift blipping itself into 2nd, both exiting in tandem, I heard the lambo hard on the throttle where my hammer went down only to find a car length immediately shredded out of me.. then something amused me…..

Both hard on the acceleration, mine howling through the gears all the way to 8300 rpm, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th……I find the ole 4 door saloon glued to this roaring bull which is not bad for 1.8 tonne and 3 fatties in it…with another 2 gears to spare, we run out of road, back down on the approach to a roundabout, hard on the brakes, the roundabouts exists having a somewhat adverse camber saw not only mine squirming on the exist but also the lambo stepping out when both back on the throttle, traction control light flashing at me like a Latvian red light ! This little snaking exercise sacrificed forward direction and I find the lambo again partially moving away till the gas flow starts flowing above 5K rpm and it was as if we were stood still, both cars in a staggered parallel with a combined 20 cylinders and a 1000+bhp roaring to the open road.

As we worked our way back to civilisation, both eased off with a nod of acknowledgement.

The disappointment in it all, I only wished I was out in the MR2 as I would have nailed that Gallardo on the exit !! :mrgreen: Satisfaction of a 17 year old Jap crap with a blower !!! :mrgreen:

Reading this somehow made my crave for a M5 now :shock:

Nice commentary! :clap:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

how long you had the m5 jj?
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

About the only thing missing from that were the words "....but I caught it with a dab of oppo and I was away".

:D
JJ

Post by JJ »

Thanks for your kind comments everyone, just wanted to stick something up there that was a bit different. :D

what sort of power do you think an mr2 would need to beat a car like that

When the weather sweetens up a little, I'll be sticking it against my MR2, its not the fastest or the slowest....I'll let you know the outcome... But by seat of the pants, Id say the MR2 ( mine ) is quicker to 120 ( down to weight ! )... then simply pure pace and gearing, the M5 just pulls in such a composed and undramatical way.... put it this way... doing the "limit", you're still able to relax and speak at a very low level... other than watching for imovable objects and the petrol gauge sinking rapidly, a very relax drive !!

JJ, never knew you had an M5??

Birthday present - To me from me !! :mrgreen: I wanted an Ariel Atom 300, but it simply wasnt going to happen, I didn't like the idea of spraying de-icer on my leags to get out of it into work !! Put the X5 down the road, but still wanted something practical ( work / family ect ).. very close toss up between the E63 or the M5... E63 being marginally quicker but the look of the Beemers won me over !

Do tell how you acquired an intimate knowledge of Latvian red lights

Messy Stu !! Wouldnt recommend Latvia... they hate the english !! The girls love our money though !! :wink: :mrgreen: Anyone going, travel in pairs.... and stick a card for the hotel in your shoe, all the streets look the same !! :shock:

In any sort of comparison :

Drag :

M5 - 12.2 > 12.5 to the qrt @ 119 is the general norm using launch control on an SMG box ... Those that are track rats can see looking at the terminal, it does start to shift...

My MR2 - 11.5 > 11.8 @ 122 > 126 mph.... I have a different turbo on it now... so chances are, it maybe a tad bit quicker.. depending on the tuning / boost I run it / launching ability !

Motorway

I havent drove my MR2 hard since last october.. and it has always put a smile on my face, hence why I still have it.. its a great drivers car !! Where mine is very quick in a hard charge of 3rd / 4th / 5th, you have to be awake to do it... the car is reasonably composed at speed... still have to watch for tramlining etc... but this is my point, there is quite a bit of drama from it in comparison to the M5 - I think thats what drives the adrenelin through your veins... the sensation of speed is relentless.. Any speeds above a ton feels like youre doing 200 mph !!

M5 - rolling from 100.. this thing is brutal .. I understand there is a degree of biasness... but I'm very critical of cars....even ones I own....I'm not usually easily impressed... but with 5 people in it....the things gathers speed like my old TVR Cerbera 4.5.. but with soo much ease to drive / composure.

Track

C'mon.. doesn't take a genius ... M5 = 1.8 tonne + into a tight corner... doesn't matter how big the tyres are.... its physics !! Whilst I dont intend to track it, handling is superb on it.. but if I'm honest, I'm critical of it wanting to hang its ar5e out all the time... so either the traction control light is flashing away... or in M dynamic mode, its spinning / sliding to a degree... or you're simply shredding thousands of miles off the rear tyres in any speeds below 60 !! Now if its a large track.. like the Nurburgring.. different kettle of fish...

how long you had the m5 jj?

Not too long..... got bored of the X5 buddy !! :mrgreen:

In summary.. its mainly plus points if you've read the thread, but the negative points upto now... :-k I think the SMG 3 which is BMW's finest isn't still there.. its a little clonky and a bit stupid, and in a sprint, the speed it changes gears almost seems a lifetime... dont get me wrong, not as bad as the old SMG's on the M3's.. its all forgiven when in gear and the engine taps are open.. but I believe its the car achilies heel. By hey, I wanted an automatic ! :mrgreen: Also subjectively, I think the paddle shift is great which is all part of the SMG but criticise the paddles being on the steering wheel opposed to the column.. couple of times I've hit a roundabout.. gunned it in 1st off it... and with a half a turn on it.. work out which paddle I need to grab.... fortunately.. the gearstick also plays the SMG part too !

when we having that meet-up we was always on about?

Dale - When the temp is above freezing !!! :mrgreen: Wouldnt be a bad idea to actually stick it on an MR2 trackday for club members to have a ride out ! :mrgreen: Something different....Not technically track it though.. it'll be more a sedate gun from corner to corner.... I wonder if theres a charity RAF Marham trackday this year... they've got a 1.2 mile straight !! :mrgreen:

Mind you.. I have to charge though... the fuel consumption is also another critisism I have with it... daaaaaamn its thirsty !!! :? :mrgreen:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've seen a few M5's around London plant it, you as a driver may not hear much from the exhausts, but as a pedestrian walking along side the road, trust me, you hear them :shock:

It's like the opposite of a Nissan GTR. The M5 has subtle looks but sounds like thunder. The GTR has in your face looks but sounds like a gagged mouse.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

matt_mr2t wrote:
timmomr2 wrote:what sort of power do you think an mr2 would need to beat a car like that. ive beat some nice cars v8 vantage by alot wich supprised me, carreras and a 360 modena presuming it was a real one. but the likes of m5's and gallardo's are another step up.

Beat them at what?

Drag race from standing still? Motorway blat from rolling? Round a race track?
Looking classy?

You seriously need to get a life. All you do is sit on here telling people how xxxx their MR2s are. Are astras better? Is someone with a V10 M5 AND a 400bhp MR2 admitting that the MR2 is more fun not enough? Jeeeez...
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

JJ wrote:When the weather sweetens up a little, I'll be sticking it against my MR2, its not the fastest or the slowest....I'll let you know the outcome... But by seat of the pants, Id say the MR2 ( mine ) is quicker to 120 ( down to weight ! )... then simply pure pace and gearing, the M5 just pulls in such a composed and undramatical way.... put it this way... doing the "limit", you're still able to relax and speak at a very low level... other than watching for imovable objects and the petrol gauge sinking rapidly, a very relax drive !!

Similar sort of experience here. With 2 different cars, mind you.

I really don't think of my 911 Turbo as a "quick" car.
Playing with a Lotus Elise on the motorway he could out-accelerate me but once the speedo starts to climb it takes more serious machinery to keep up.
At 120-odd something like an Elise will start to run out of puff whereas my 911 is still in 4th and not even ready to change up into 5th yet.
Trouble is, that kind of performance is barely ever usable in the real world and, as a result, a car that's quicker to accelerate at lower speeds does better.

I used to have an old E34 535 and, as you say, that was license-shreddingly quiet at high speeds.
Journeys in that were far, far faster than in my MR2 simply because you can see/hear/feel when you're going fast in an MR2 but in the bimmer a passenger couldn't tell the difference between 60mph and 120mph.

Also, I found it very easy to chase hot hatches in the 535.
No problems at all keeping up on twisty roads.
Only trouble is, at the end of the journey there'd be smoke coming from the brakes and I'd be getting through a set of tyres in about 5k miles.

Always wanted to buy myself a BMW M3 or M5 but I worry that one cheap enough to qualify as a "toy" for me would have been abused before I buy it.
M5 is probably the smarter choice. They're not quite as attractive to the test-pilots.

Return to “Driving Experiences”