Clio

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

bill

Re: Clio

Post by bill »

matt_mr2t wrote:
bill wrote:hope it wasn't a williams!

He wouldnt have walked away from it if it was - death traps in accidents.

i imagine there not much different from any small powerfull hot hatch really, anyway the williams would have gone round the roundabout not through it :wink: i had one awsome car! if it wasn't for the naff gearboxes in them i'd probably still have it now.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

They're quite different from any modern hot hatch. No crumple zones, no impact bars, no airbags. A chap I know was very lucky to survive a 30mph accident in one once. He shattered his leg and broke his pelvis.

What was wrong with the gearbox? I had the 16v and had no problems with it.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:They're quite different from any modern hot hatch. No crumple zones, no impact bars, no airbags. A chap I know was very lucky to survive a 30mph accident in one once. He shattered his leg and broke his pelvis.

you must have been a lucky one, I know a few guys who have had busted gearboxes on them.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've seen plenty of busted box's on MR2's, doesnt mean there's a problem with them all.
bill

Post by bill »

matt_mr2t wrote:They're quite different from any modern hot hatch. No crumple zones, no impact bars, no airbags. A chap I know was very lucky to survive a 30mph accident in one once. He shattered his leg and broke his pelvis.

modern day hot hatch, yeah, i mean similar aged cars, such as nova's/ax's/205's etc etc.............

gear boxes are xxxx. i had a valver, did 4 boxes in it, yeah i thrashed it, but i know how to change gear, my williams box went once, that was enough to remind me, and time for a change, go on any clio forum, search gearbox......enough said. thats the weak point.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

dazzz wrote:Set off from the lights nice and smooth in 1st, nice and smooth in 2nd, notice a clio trying to accel so squeezed the pedal in 3rd, get a little whistle. Next thing clio comes past me on the wrong side of the road must of been going 90 mph round a blind bend.

So you're saying you deliberately sped up just to stop the other guy from passing?
Real classy. :roll:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Si_Crewe wrote:
dazzz wrote:Set off from the lights nice and smooth in 1st, nice and smooth in 2nd, notice a clio trying to accel so squeezed the pedal in 3rd, get a little whistle. Next thing clio comes past me on the wrong side of the road must of been going 90 mph round a blind bend.

So you're saying you deliberately sped up just to stop the other guy from passing?
Real classy. :roll:

Yeah i did mate , if i didn't i would have had to brake to avoid the ballards as the lane merged into one.

nb head

Setting off from the lights is different in a turbo mate. you don't even have to rev it above 3k to go quicker than a 1.2 clio.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Must admit, it does annoy me when dicks try to "make up places" by using an empty lane when they know the road tapers to one lane just ahead.

These days I tend to just let em past though.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

Si_Crewe wrote:Must admit, it does annoy me when dicks try to "make up places" by using an empty lane when they know the road tapers to one lane just ahead.

Its called filtering... its what your suppost to do ](*,)
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

alan wheeldon wrote:
Si_Crewe wrote:Must admit, it does annoy me when dicks try to "make up places" by using an empty lane when they know the road tapers to one lane just ahead.

Its called filtering... its what your suppost to do ](*,)

Funny, you didn't tell the OP that when somebody tried to filter past him. :roll:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

There was 3 cars worth of empty space between use when i squeezed the pedal. I didn't fancy getting stuck on a country road behind a clio when i'm in my turbo out for a spirit drive.

Lets just say you had to be there.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

bill wrote:

modern day hot hatch, yeah, i mean similar aged cars, such as nova's/ax's/205's etc etc.............

gear boxes are xxxx. i had a valver, did 4 boxes in it, yeah i thrashed it, but i know how to change gear, my williams box went once, that was enough to remind me, and time for a change, go on any clio forum, search gearbox......enough said. thats the weak point.

I was an active member of the main Clio forum, Cliosport for quite a few years. I still know people that have Clio 16v's and none of them have reported any gearbox issues.
Perhaps you just had a dog. What did you do to repair the boxes you broke? Second hand units or proper, recon boxes?
bill

Post by bill »

matt_mr2t wrote:
bill wrote:

I was an active member of the main Clio forum, Cliosport for quite a few years. I still know people that have Clio 16v's and none of them have reported any gearbox issues.
Perhaps you just had a dog. What did you do to repair the boxes you broke? Second hand units or proper, recon boxes?

It was far from a dog mate, probably one of the nicest examples out there at the time, it was an 1995 m plate, 21k on the clock full service history bought from aidan piers, for a grand total of ten thousand pounds! my god that sounds like a hell of a lot of money now for a mk1 valver lol, but at the time it was right, i looked at a right shed which was up for 9k in halifax somewhere, then saw the one i bought, had a few nice mods, devil exhaust, koni suspension, mega rare stilauto 16" rims, nice induction kit, the car had, had no expense spared, was absolutley immaculate, and was my pride and joy for over 6 years.

Gearboxes. Well the first 3 where reconditioned, after that the 4th one was a second hand unit, as i was running out of pateince now, and wanted to sell the car for a sapphire cossie ( big mistake ) i took the clio upto 78k on the clock, apart from gearbox troubles and the cambelt letting go, was probably the best car i have ever owned, will probably have another one day, as a track toy.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Seems very strange as I never had a problem and neither did any one I know/knew.
bill

Post by bill »

matt_mr2t wrote:Seems very strange as I never had a problem and neither did any one I know/knew.

gearboxes are the week point without a doubt, and they ain't cheap to repair/replace.

Return to “Driving Experiences”