TTE MR2

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Si_Crewe

TTE MR2

Post by Si_Crewe »

I suspect this is a common request but still...

Anybody know where I can read about the TTE Mk1 MR2, as seen here: http://www.groupbrally.com/toyota.shtml

I've always been a big fan of the Ford RS200 and I was considering building a replica but, as an MR2 fan, the TTE Mk1 is almost as tasty IMO.
Moustachio

Re: TTE MR2

Post by Moustachio »

Go for it!!

btw I have a Manta 400 replica, which is pictured at the top of the page :thumleft:
Bring back Psygnosis
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Moustachio wrote:Go for it!!

btw I have a Manta 400 replica, which is pictured at the top of the page :thumleft:

Always said, if I won the lottery my garage will include a Manta 400 replica.

Just seems like a TTE Mk1 MR2 replica would be cheaper than an RS200 replica and, cos of the way it's built, you'd have lots of leeway for chopping things up in the back to jam in whatever engine could fit.

All a bit of a pipe-dream at the moment to be honest but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. ;)
Moustachio

Post by Moustachio »

Well mine started out as a pipe dream, a year later a lot of hard work and money and some major help from friends etc, I'm at the fitting it all back together stage....

I won't clog your thread with my story but if your interested I'll pm you the build thread.
Bring back Psygnosis
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

you'd have lots of leeway for chopping things up in the back to jam in whatever engine could fit.

On that note pretty much anything will fit in either a transverse or inline orientation.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'd be interested in the identity of the mice who were testing the driving position... possible works drivers?

R.
MartG

Post by MartG »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
you'd have lots of leeway for chopping things up in the back to jam in whatever engine could fit.

On that note pretty much anything will fit in either a transverse or inline orientation.

It's getting a 4WD system to fit that would be difficult if you wanted to go for ultimate realism
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

MartG wrote:
It's getting a 4WD system to fit that would be difficult if you wanted to go for ultimate realism

4wd is easy today, just find the running gear from a murcielago :lol:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Si I've got lots of pics of No.3 rally car if you want them. :thumleft:
MartG

Post by MartG »

Limeymk1 wrote:Si I've got lots of pics of No.3 rally car if you want them. :thumleft:

Me too please :D
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

MartG wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:Si I've got lots of pics of No.3 rally car if you want them. :thumleft:

Me too please :D

+1 8-[
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

+2 :thumleft: :)

I'm toying with a similar front end for mine as a fun project when i have the time!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

From T'internet these are the 2 cars they have in Germany:

I've got a pile of pics of the one with the red Toyota badge, I think most were taken by Richard (Polypedates) when we saw the car at Goodwood. :thumleft:

There's another white one in Japan.
MartG

Post by MartG »

I thought they'd only built 2 - one black one and one white one. The two in those pics seem to differ in a few ways - maybe one of them is a copy ?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

MartG wrote:I thought they'd only built 2 - one black one and one white one. The two in those pics seem to differ in a few ways - maybe one of them is a copy ?

Nope, according to the driver of the car at Goodwood (worked at TTE) they build 11 in total with a both longitudinal and transverse mounted engines. When the rally group was scrapped they were told to dismantle all the cars but they saved those 2 in Germany and Toyota kept 1 in Japan.

The car with no Toyota badges has a longitudinal engine IIRC, the car with the badges has transverse.

I'd love to go and have a mooch round both of them. Someday I'll organise a road trip for a look round.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

I'd join that road trip... ;)
Chris, I'd also love a copy of the pics if poss? I can also offer a hosting solution on my webserver if you need it - just PM me.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Sure, love to see em. You have a flickr/photobucket account or summat?
Alternatively, can you email em to me?

I'm trying to work out how you'd go about building one.
I figure you could purchase DTM-style wide-arches and nail em to a Mk1 body and end up with something that looked similar but I have no idea how you'd go about creating a proper one-piece rear end.

Looking at it, I guess the shape isn't really that complex. It'd just be a case of creating a fibreglass "box" (supported by a tubular frame) then grafting on the wheelarches, spoiler and rear screen.

I think I'd probably chicken out of building a one-piece nose though.

Alternatively, are there already fibreglass front and rears available for the Mk1?

Thing is, at some point I want to build myself a hillclimb/track-day car.
I always figured something like a Stratos replica would be ideal because the removeable front and rear sections would mean it'd be dead easy to work on.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I'll download them all to my photobucket account this evening and post a link once I've remembered how to get into it. :thumleft:

The backends are completely different to the stock Mk1 as you can see, I think the only thing that's 'stock' is the cabin section.

Si you can get fibreglass front wings from here http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/frontwings.htm. The rear section's going to have to be a completely custom job, 'tis the reason I'm pretty convinced the other car in the pic isn't a copy. :-k

Max, how does next summer sound?
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Limeymk1 wrote:Max, how does next summer sound?

Someone mention Roadtrip??? :whistle:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”