Spirited driving techniques

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

RobCrezz

Re: Spirited driving techniques

Post by RobCrezz »

Dale_V wrote:Jj im at 14psi at the moment as i had the same idea of you. . Sometimes the car feels too fast, sometimes not fast enough, there doesnt seem to be a happy medium for me, but im sure it will come together . . My next crave is an ebc, what would you suggest, ideally new. Or do you know of any used ones for sale that you have stashed away lol ;)

I know what you mean. Going from the stock VSV to a greddy EBC made the car much more drive able. Much easyer to accellerate quickly out of a corner without too much boost.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Im on an MBC at the moment, did you go straight from VSV to buying the EBC? How do you find the greddy and where did you buy it from? Im on the look out or an EBC, but I dont want to be paying the earth for one :eye:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Dale_V wrote:but I dont want to be paying the earth for one :eye:

and you want one that will last :)

Oh dont know if anyone has mentioned yet but be very careful in the damp / wet when doing some "Spirited driving" or you will end up in a farmers field if you get too carried away :thumleft:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Dale_V wrote:Im on an MBC at the moment, did you go straight from VSV to buying the EBC? How do you find the greddy and where did you buy it from? Im on the look out or an EBC, but I dont want to be paying the earth for one :eye:

Yeah I did, but I have used MBCs on other cars before. Got mine brand new from ebay for about £200ish.

The Greddy is really good, not got the range of adjustments that something like the Apexi AVCR, but its very simple to set up and adjust and does a good job, and all the tuners like them.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Dale_V wrote:Even harder is going from an NA mr2 to a modded turbo, after having my NA for 5 years and obviously getting used to it well, confidence in the corners etc, I did a rev3 turbo conversion a few months back and im struggling to get used to it. Its not like ive switched cars, I've the same chassis, tyres, bushes, suspension etc but the power delivery of the new lump throws all that away. The car rarely gets driven during the day (too much bloody traffic for any enjoyment :evil: ) so ive been going out at night and doing 100miles or so each time, but I still cant get used to it. I dont want to turn into a straight line junkie, as I love the twistys :cry:

It'll never be quite like the n/a. However I assume you've gained an LSD so exiting corners under power should be more fun / adustable.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

Lifting off completely round a corner is not a great idea.

Ideally you want just enough throttle to keep the back wheels moving. If you lift off completely your essentially engine braking through the corner on the rear wheels - which will send the back end out! And when that happens you'll need to be very quick with the steering and throttle to sort it out otherwise you'll be facing the other way in no time.

I almost span out once exiting a roundabout with no throttle not long after i bought my first n/a, since then i learnt my lesson and kept my foot on it!
fizz

Post by fizz »

steve b wrote:
Dale_V wrote:Even harder is going from an NA mr2 to a modded turbo, after having my NA for 5 years and obviously getting used to it well, confidence in the corners etc, I did a rev3 turbo conversion a few months back and im struggling to get used to it. Its not like ive switched cars, I've the same chassis, tyres, bushes, suspension etc but the power delivery of the new lump throws all that away. The car rarely gets driven during the day (too much bloody traffic for any enjoyment :evil: ) so ive been going out at night and doing 100miles or so each time, but I still cant get used to it. I dont want to turn into a straight line junkie, as I love the twistys :cry:

It'll never be quite like the n/a. However I assume you've gained an LSD so exiting corners under power should be more fun / adustable.

Ive gone the other way for a bit and as much as the NA feels like driving a broken Tubby, i like the fact its sooo predictable round the bends and twisties.

I was used to the tubby over the years and realised where the limits were, with the NA the limits are easier to reach and maintain unlike the tubby.

Return to “Driving Experiences”