Nissan Siliva S15--- anyone got any experiences of them?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

rolandfantom

Re: Nissan Siliva S15--- anyone got any experiences of them?

Post by rolandfantom »

Marf wrote:I'm not trying to discuss layouts etc, just trying to challenge your supposition that the MR2 is more predictable on the limit than an S15.

To be fair, that's your supposition not mine, as at no point did I ever compare the MR2 to the S15. I pointed out that the S15 has very unpredictable handling, which it does, and that it was far less predictable than the 2.2 Motegi, which it is.

A good analogy might be: the S15 will regularly leave a small skid in your CK's, every once in a while the MR2 will leave a gigantic Yokohama-sized skid in them!!
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

lmao :clap: :clap:
1993 GT TURBO
Marf

Post by Marf »

This certainly reads like you are comparing the two:-

rolandfantom wrote:However, the weight distribution of the mid-engined MR2 does make it more predictable, so just think what the S14/S15 must be like!! :shock:

lmao indeed :mrgreen:
fizz

Post by fizz »

your reply was to the chap asking how the S15 compared to the mr2.

And thats what my initial reply was against. :lol:

ive driven a s14 on quite a few occasions and found it more predictable than any of my mr2s ive owned over the years. Everyone is different mind. :thumleft:
Last edited by fizz on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
fizz

Post by fizz »

double post
summ0004

Post by summ0004 »

Marf wrote:
rolandfantom wrote:
Marf wrote:Have you driven one? I'm guessing not

Yes, but why guess when I'd already said that I had. You'd also have read that I said if "rear wheel action" is what you were after, the S14/S15 is a better bet.

Marf wrote:Ask yourself this, why is the S1x used in professional drifting, where the MR2 rarely(if ever) makes an appearance.

Ask yourself, why do F1 cars have mid/rear-engine layouts if, by your reckoning, a more predictable/controllable solution is front engined with RWD?

S14/S15's are used in drifting because the rear has a far higher propensity to lose traction, due to the lack of mechanical and chemical grip over the driving wheels, and therefore it's a greater viewing spectacle for the audience. Having move rear-end weight, and therefore more mechanical and chemical grip over the driving wheels, makes the MR2 more stable in most situations.

These aren't ideas that I've plucked from the ether, these are all basic elements and principles of chassis design.

I'm not trying to discuss layouts etc, just trying to challenge your supposition that the MR2 is more predictable on the limit than an S15.

Yes, an MR2 has more outright grip than an S15, however, when an S15 loses rear end traction, its a damn sight easier and less pant shittingly scary to collect it back up than in an MR2. The S15 is far more forgiving in that respect :thumleft:

I think the point he is trying to make is that the Mr2 is less likely to exceed its limits of mechanical grip compared to a front engined rear drive car.

Of course once the mechanical grip is exceeded then the Mr2 is likely to be less controllable than the S15 because of the pendulum effect of the engine weight at the back.
Bry

Post by Bry »

After having both an s15 spec R and Mr2 turbo's(rev 4) I can tell you that stock for stock the Silvia is a bit quicker in a straight line as it has a little more power and is a little lighter than the mr2(250bhp vs 240). Handling I would say they were pretty even, both have too much body roll for my liking hence I upgraded the ARB's on both my S15 and MR2. The Silvia was far more tail happy than the mr2 but was easily catchable unlike the mr2 which was a little less forgiving. Both cars had there good points and bad points, i thought the 6 speed gearbox on the Silvia was horrible (although the gearing I did like) the MR2 box is great it just needs to have the silvia's gearing. The MR2 was far more of a solidly built car than the Silvia which felt very flimsy but the Silvia's engine could take alot more power before needing Forgies unlike the mr2 which suffers cracked blocks and ringland failure at relatively tame figures. The mr2 has a steel h/gasket (rev3) and fuelling good for well over 300bhp where as the silvia has a normal h/gasket and fuelling for about 280 also the silvia's (6 speed) gearboxs were made of chocolate unlike the mr2 's which appear to be made out of Iron Girders :lol:
Both these cars were very similar and have pro's and con's, I don't think either was better or worse than the other they are both equally fun rwd jap turbo cars.
My old babies
My current toy
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Bry you're a rude boy 8)

They all look awesome :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Some stunning looking cars there Bry :thumleft: I get to see the MR2 quite often through its new owner.

I'm after an AP2 S2K at the moment but it would need to be the right colour... how do you find it?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Bry

Post by Bry »

toxo wrote:Some stunning looking cars there Bry :thumleft: I get to see the MR2 quite often through its new owner.

I'm after an AP2 S2K at the moment but it would need to be the right colour... how do you find it?

I found mine after looking for quite a while on Autotrader. I was looking on Honda Uk's website/Piston heads and S2UK

AP2 is actually the 2.2 engined model that we never got , all UK cars are AP1's but like mr2's they are split into revisions. I'm guessing you are after the 04+ model which has the 17 inch wheels and oval tail pipes? The early models have more tail happy handling and a more aggressive Vtec switchover point than the later models but they are known to be thirsty with oil. The later model (04+) had larger piston oil squirters which stopped them drinking oil (mines uses none).
The s2000 is the best stock handling car I've driven, it has very responsive steering with great feel and feedback. The way the car turns in on cornering is fantastic and it still manages to have a comfortable ride too. The suspension is fully independent wishbones all round and comes with non adjustable coilovers and remote reservoir filled dampers as stock .The one achillies heel that the suspension has is the allignment bolts/bushes are not greased at the factory and as a result they seize solid which means the suspension cannot be set up correctly, so you end up having to cut off the wishbone arms which cost £300 each :shock: Mine had partially seized at only 2 years old but luckily we freed them up and coated them in cooper slip, so if you buy an s2000 ask about the geo bolts as they could cost you a fortune.
Performance wise in a straight line a stock rev3 mr2 turbo is a little quicker than the honda and the engine being a turbo is far more flexible than the honda's 240bhp NA engine but if you love to grab a car by the scruff and give it a real workout the s2000 will make you smile from ear to ear especially when it hits 6000 rpm and the noise it makes as it screams round to 9k rpm =P~ There are plenty of cars out there that are faster than the s2000 in a straight line but for the money there aren't that many that can live with them on the twisties or many that will make you have so much fun as that's what the little Honda is all about FUN 8)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Right, yeah I was referring to the post 04 cars (facelift or whatever). I have been looking at them at Jap auctions though which is where I got the AP2 bit from :thumleft: Cheers for the info
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Bry

Post by Bry »

Skywalker wrote:Bry you're a rude boy 8)

Come down when the Snows gone(it's seriously evil in snow) and you can take the s2000 for a blast see what you think 8)
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

Bry wrote:

Come down when the Snows gone(it's seriously evil in snow) and you can take the s2000 for a blast see what you think 8)

i have loved it it makes you more aggressive than the mr2 :lol:
i want one in yellow with carbon bonnet :thumleft:
bry you always have a good choice in car :thumleft:
just want to know when you are going to buy a pagani zonda so i can have a go in that :thumleft:
Bry

Post by Bry »

tarmac terrorist wrote:
Bry wrote:

just want to know when you are going to buy a pagani zonda so i can have a go in that :thumleft:

Just bought a lucky dip for wednesday so if the numbers come up I'll buy you your own Zonda as I fancy an R8 8)
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

Bry wrote:
tarmac terrorist wrote:
Bry wrote:

sweet its got to be an R though :lol:
Just bought a lucky dip for wednesday so if the numbers come up I'll buy you your own Zonda as I fancy an R8 8)

Return to “Driving Experiences”