Got wooped by a 4x4 :-/

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Azz

Re: Got wooped by a 4x4 :-/

Post by Azz »

Mine is on the motorway, if its empty then I pretty much do what I want. if I see someone or I am passing an "on-ramp" i slow right down.

Some stupid people in the past have said "what if someone came down the on-ramp and pulled in front of you!!!" Sorry but if I am in the BMW lane and I cant react to someone driving down the said on-ramp and across 3 lanes then I should not be driving!

An empty motorway might as well be the autobahn, busy and its a 70mph max zone, really busy and it a 60mph left lane only zone as I don't trust anyone and always make sure I have an escape path onto the hard shoulder and up the embankment if I have to.

In 30 Zones you will often find me doing 25/28mph just burbling along.

I would like to think I am responsible and speed is only an issue if a) people are around, b) there is something to smash into and c) if you car is a shitt heap. Mine is maintained to perfection when its on the road, only ever use the best of what I can get and the slightest noise and its in the garage. on top of that I made a point of finding out every setting on my suspension so I know what the car is doing (I know I don't race but I have a very good understanding of a cars geometry and what that means in the real world, my MR2 was playing up and I took it to the garage and told them the rear off-side camber was out and explained what the car was doing, turned out the wheel was at positive camber due to a fault in a part I got from a scrappers!!! he asked me how I knew and I just said "I could feel it"). Its people in Saxo's who have no idea what setup their car has, speeding with 5 people in it round a tight bend in a 30zone that REALLY wind me up.

I know my limits, and I have not drove my car within 30% of what I know it can do, take the cat'n'fiddle experience, I knew I could not safely keep up, only overtook on the long strait always and made sure the car was never out of control which meant the car in front was pulling away very quickly, if i have of pushed it any more then that would have exceeded my skill level and something bad would have happened I am sure.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I'd love to see you come out with that statement when you're in court after getting nicked for speeding. Somehow I doubt it'd go down very well...
Azz

Post by Azz »

I'd love to see you come out with that statement when you're in court after getting nicked for speeding. Somehow I doubt it'd go down very well...

YAWN! That's my thoughts, obvioulsy if I was in court I would be saying something else.

Plus how would I get knicked? I dont speed in placed I dont know, I dont speed in a 30 zones and the only road I do what I want I have 100% sussed and there are 2 places where the police can sit, which I only do 70 past.

If I get nicked for speeding they will have to do something ultra extraordinary to catch me.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

In that case, I must congratulate you for being a hero and having an invisible car that police will never catch, unless they're Batman or something.
Azz

Post by Azz »

Dont worry about it. Never been anyones hero before, its quite nice.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Azz wrote:Mine is on the motorway, if its empty then I pretty much do what I want. if I see someone or I am passing an "on-ramp" i slow right down.

Some stupid people in the past have said "what if someone came down the on-ramp and pulled in front of you!!!" Sorry but if I am in the BMW lane and I cant react to someone driving down the said on-ramp and across 3 lanes then I should not be driving!

An empty motorway might as well be the autobahn, busy and its a 70mph max zone, really busy and it a 60mph left lane only zone as I don't trust anyone and always make sure I have an escape path onto the hard shoulder and up the embankment if I have to.

In 30 Zones you will often find me doing 25/28mph just burbling along.

I would like to think I am responsible and speed is only an issue if a) people are around, b) there is something to smash into and c) if you car is a shitt heap. Mine is maintained to perfection when its on the road, only ever use the best of what I can get and the slightest noise and its in the garage. on top of that I made a point of finding out every setting on my suspension so I know what the car is doing (I know I don't race but I have a very good understanding of a cars geometry and what that means in the real world, my MR2 was playing up and I took it to the garage and told them the rear off-side camber was out and explained what the car was doing, turned out the wheel was at positive camber due to a fault in a part I got from a scrappers!!! he asked me how I knew and I just said "I could feel it"). Its people in Saxo's who have no idea what setup their car has, speeding with 5 people in it round a tight bend in a 30zone that REALLY wind me up.

I know my limits, and I have not drove my car within 30% of what I know it can do, take the cat'n'fiddle experience, I knew I could not safely keep up, only overtook on the long strait always and made sure the car was never out of control which meant the car in front was pulling away very quickly, if i have of pushed it any more then that would have exceeded my skill level and something bad would have happened I am sure.

For what its worth Azz.. i get what your saying and agree with a lot of what you have said in the above post.

I have been driving all sorts of cars for the past 10 years and till this day *touch wood* i have never been unlucky enough to get even 3 points.

Of course there have been occacions where ive been close to being stopped where im sure RedMR2 could fill you in about but for me its all about minimising risks.

Playing safe... Ive never span my MR2's out on the road in all my years of owning them yet on track i have span quite a few times now in 'relative' safty.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Azz wrote:Mine is maintained to perfection when its on the road, only ever use the best of what I can get and the slightest noise and its in the garage. on top of that I made a point of finding out every setting on my suspension so I know what the car is doing (I know I don't race but I have a very good understanding of a cars geometry and what that means in the real world, my MR2 was playing up and I took it to the garage and told them the rear off-side camber was out and explained what the car was doing, turned out the wheel was at positive camber due to a fault in a part I got from a scrappers!!! he asked me how I knew and I just said "I could feel it").

I don't disgareww with much oif what you said but there is always the unknown factor.

The rear tyre on my MK1 blew out when i came off a roudnabout, spun me sideways down the road, was only doing about 40 mph and it was NSL. But if anythign had been coming I'd have smashed straight into it.

That was a car that had recently been serviced, MOT'd, the tyres checked over by me and still had a good 6000 miles in them.

There was no way to plan for that.

Speed all you want, but I have to say there is absolutely no need at any time to do 145mph on the road, it is dangerous, no matter how well maintained your car is or how good you are as a driver.

I been to enough coroner's hearing to know how it can all go wrong.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

vote of no confidence ???

Return to “Driving Experiences”