4x4 drivers. Why? Tiamat letting off steam

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: 4x4 drivers. Why? Tiamat letting off steam

Post by matt_mr2t »

You're 6ft 4 or more though Ben so you wouldnt understand the issues a tiny person would have with one. Much like I, as an average height person struggle to see how some one couldnt fit in any thing.
If they can barely see over the steering wheel, how can they see the very furthest reaches of the vehicle? They cant tell when they are close to other cars or a few feet away as they simply cant see out properly. This leads to bad driving, tempers flaring and generally knocks and dings. I'm not saying small people shouldnt drive big vehicles. I'm saying all people should have to take a further test to drive anything thats substantially bigger than a car to prove they are up to the task.
Those Audi's are utter monsters, the Q7 or Q8 what ever it is is about the length of a bloody bendy bus.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

JJ wrote:"but won't overtake me, just sit behind me matching the same speed, but he sped up to catch me, must have done since I never changed my speed from 75 mph once I got there!"

Simple... he hasn't got the power to over take you... Fact.

If he can catch me, when after I have gone off a roundabout and out accelerated him, then he can overtake me. Stands ot reason, to catch me he has to drive faster than me to close the gap.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Had another example of some one driving one that just couldnt this morning. At the train station a woman pulled up and had to mount the kerb in order to park next to it. It was a Mercedes M Class and there was space for 2, may be even 3 of the things to fit in there.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

its not 4x4 drivers..its what the human race is turning into
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Show them the rear of your car from a great distance :thumleft:

On the same note BMW X5 drivers =; One over took me in a 40 zone, doing well in excess of 40 leading up to the de-restricted zone and then sat at 82mph. Why?

Needless to say I overtook at the earliest safe oportunity and left him in the distance to cry in shame that his £20k car couldnt match my £600 rocket :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It's the Range Rover "sport" drivers that make me laugh.
There is nothing sported about a 3 ton truck thats 9 feet tall.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

matt_mr2t wrote:It's the Range Rover "sport" drivers that make me laugh.

You're joking?
Those 'sport' range rovers are like poop off a shovel (for an NA owner anyway :mrgreen: ), along with those quad tailpiped X5's #-o
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

JohnnyC wrote:

You're joking?
Those 'sport' range rovers are like poop off a shovel (for an NA owner anyway :mrgreen: ), along with those quad tailpiped X5's #-o

390bhp 2,500 kg's = power to weight of 156bhp per (metric) ton.
0-60 7.4s
0-100 19.5s

Hot hatch territory at best. Had a few of them try to sit on my bumper when I had the tubby. I could accelerate away from it happily without using boost.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/vehicl ... ations.htm

0-60 time of 5.9s :shock:

And the V8 X5 does it in 6.5s :-$
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

but they sure do look great..and if I could afford it, one would be sitting on my drive
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Tiamat wrote:I just don't know why they do it, not like I am out to prove anything, no loud exhaust,

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Err am I missing something here? Your exhaust is loud enough to wake the dead 8)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

jdbecks wrote:

but they sure do look great..and if I could afford it, one would be sitting on my drive

Err, it's a box. If I was gonna spend £50k on something it wouldnt be a horse box puller.

5.9 & 6.4 0-60 times?
A standard 20 year old tubby would see that off happily.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

nikaiyo wrote:
Tiamat wrote:I just don't know why they do it, not like I am out to prove anything, no loud exhaust,

Err am I missing something here? Your exhaust is loud enough to wake the dead 8)

Not any more. :(

It's back to standard. :(
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

nikaiyo wrote:

Its currently back to standard as I was using it as a work car. However now I have picked up the MK2 to use for work the devil's own exhaust may well go back on it - it definately will be on for JAE.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

matt_mr2t wrote:
jdbecks wrote:

Err, it's a box. If I was gonna spend £50k on something it wouldnt be a horse box puller.

5.9 & 6.4 0-60 times?

I'm not buying one to say my car is faster than yours down the pub..I want one because I have always loved range rovers/land rovers from the defender to the Range rover sport..the reason why I would pick a sport over say a vouge is that I think the sports look atot better.... Theres more I could do in a range rover than you can do in a 20 year old mr2 turbo...

although I would rather a Brabus G wagon
excalibur1814

Cruise

Post by excalibur1814 »

I really liked using cruise control, until, I realised that it's virtually impossible on a motorway.

You'd pass someone and then moments later they'd overtake and then pull back in, to go slow again. It really got on my goat and he can't take much weight.

You could always look at it another way.. The 4x4 owner wanted to play as he really, really liked the car. Not everythings negative, even if it seems that way :)

(But, the driver(s) do sound like idiots)
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Only experience I have with a land rover is benig in the back of one coming back from a field having combined it with my sisters hubby and his brother/mates, the guy driving purposely drove like a complete t** just because he thought it was funny all us lot smashing about in that tin top hovis mobile, bloody metal bench for a seat.

It was one of those that the army/SAS use, can imagine they've improve a bit now!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Martian_333 wrote:It was one of those that the army/SAS use, can imagine they've improve a bit now!

Land Rover Defender, no, I don't think the design has changed at all :mrgreen:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: Cruise

Post by Tiamat »

excalibur1814 wrote:You could always look at it another way.. The 4x4 owner wanted to play as he really, really liked the car. Not everythings negative, even if it seems that way :)

(But, the driver(s) do sound like idiots)

I thought about that, but why keep doing it, it was clear I was not interested and it was just pointless to keep accelerating and overtaking then not keeping to that speed. Driver's confuse me sometimes.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

jdbecks wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:
jdbecks wrote:

5.9 & 6.4 0-60 times?

I'm not buying one to say my car is faster than yours down the pub..I want one because I have always loved range rovers/land rovers from the defender to the Range rover sport..the reason why I would pick a sport over say a vouge is that I think the sports look atot better.... Theres more I could do in a range rover than you can do in a 20 year old mr2 turbo...

although I would rather a Brabus G wagon

Like go round a corner fast?
All the things a Range Rover should be good at dont get used. Most have never been off road.

Return to “Driving Experiences”