Time for another trans-european trip!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Peter C

Time for another trans-european trip!

Post by Peter C »

Yep, it's time to drive to Poland to see my in-laws again.

Driving out early Saturday morning, catching the Chunnel Tunnel to Calais, driving through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and into Poland. Door to door it's just over 800 miles.

We (my wife and I) are taking the MR2. I've had the car serviced, a pair of new tyres fitted and a rear wheel bearing replaced, so hopefully we're ready to go. Not sure where to put the GB sticker, probably on the back window somewhere.

Fingers crossed!

Peter
Last edited by Peter C on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantfindausername

Re: Time for another trans-european trip!

Post by cantfindausername »

Magnetic GB badge on the boot lid is my prefered flavour.

I'm driving to Germany at the end of the month to take the missus to see her sister. I'm looking forward to it. Just got a huge amount of stuff to do with the car... including finish a clutch change :lol:

Its only 419 miles door to door though. Gonna get a middle of the night Chunnel crossing both ways. Should make the roads nice and empty for playing on. Will be my first trip to the Continent without a 118mph speed limiter :twisted:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

My G-Limited is still restricted (to 112 or 118MPH?) but I'm not bothered.

I can cruise at a happy 90MPH with the automatic gearbox in top gear and the overdrive switched on, with the engine is ticking over at just over 3,000 rev/min. I should see an easy 35MPG on a run.

Driving through France, Belgium and Holland only takes a few hours and feels like you're making massive progress. Once you start the long journey across Germany the monotony starts to sets in. The final furlong from the Polish border to Poznan takes about 2 hours, 1.5 of which are wasted on A-roads (due to lack of proper motorways).

I've done the trip on a number of occasions in the past, in everything from a Sierra 1.6LX (back in the days) to a Honda S2000. Somewhere in between I've also notched up two trips in my Mk2 Rev1 GT.
cantfindausername

I love driving on the continent. Have done 3 european rallies, 2 of which were in my car. I find the MR2 is great for these sort of trips. Although now I have a boot mounted I/C I could be singing a different song when it comes time to pack :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Job done!

cantfindausername

I'm struggling to find a good price for breakdown recovery should the worst happen.

AA and RAC are about £62 - all others are saying car has to be less than 15 years old, and as mine is 16 its just a bit too old :(

Think I need to buy a late rev5 and retro fit everything to it lol
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

cantfindausername wrote:I'm struggling to find a good price for breakdown recovery should the worst happen.

I arranged cover before embarking on previous trips but I'm not going to bother this time round. Hope I don't regret it!
cantfindausername

I'm considering not doing it, but then I know whats going to happen if I don't

Really I don't think it will miss a beat. But the law of sod is always there to annoy us :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “Driving Experiences”