How much power can you get out of the mk3?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

philster_d

Re: How much power can you get out of the mk3?

Post by philster_d »

In answer to the original question there are mk3's out there that can put out 550 bhp. Obviously with the appropriate modifications.

Thats without changing the 1zz engine for something else.

Phil
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Phil is right and there is a video somewhere of one destroying a Lambo on the strip (gaspar's)
dellams

Post by dellams »

lol cool, never heard that before. :) I think im one of those, but do like putting it into corners too.

But after crashing my 1st rev1 tubby within the 1st week of owning it it kinda put the fear in me so only floor it on straights after that! I made the mistake of trying to change gear on a corner, think I wobbled thje sterrign wheel a bit since wasnt use to the power!

It also had budget tyers on at the time since not had chance to change them yet and prob hit a bit of ice or water which didnt help!

I snaked left and then right and then 360'ed onto the other side of the road and slammed into a mud bank with the rear and then spun round and hit the front too! :(

Luckikly nothing was coming on the other side of the road or I prob wouldnt be here now!

The other problem was I had only driven it for a few days before for a 5 min drive to work so obviously hadnt warmed up by and as we all know the power difference once warmed with a tubby is quite staggering.

So finally get to sat and was looking forward to a longer drive across cornwall (really nice roads down there and was when I lived there for a bit), went for a little village and was in a little bit of traffic, then it cleared and then changed to a national speed limit as you came out of the village.

I didnt think I accelerated that hard (just the usual bit like I did with my old Astra before - I know, a MR2 is a big jump up from an astra!), but took off and it must have overpowered me hence wobbling the wheel whilst changing gear!

Made all of the classic mistakes but at least I learnt from it and put the fear in me. So I now respect the power more and only wait till I have a clear straight in front of me with plenty of visibility before I punch it! :)

Anyway, sorry went off on a bit of a tangent there!

So the tyers basically arent big enough to take that sor to power? And the arches aren't big enough to fit bigger enough tyers to cope with it?

Unless you widen them somehow (what a widebody is?).

Cheers.
dellams

Post by dellams »

DannyN wrote:Phil is right and there is a video somewhere of one destroying a Lambo on the strip (gaspar's)

Yeah I heard, would love to see that! :) Was it quite close?

I bet a 400bhp mk2 could beat a lambo too right? Since it also weights quite a bit less I would imagine.

Whats a lambo's 0-60 time approx? Power and weight? I know they are all different but which one was beaten so I can get an idea...

Cheers. :thumleft:
p.s. Even in my old rev1 tubby putting out 230ish I had no trouble keeping up with ANY car on the road including astons, beemers, porche, etc. I have even seen off quite a few to their surprise! lol With my new tubby putting out 320 and then eventually 400 shouldnt be anything out there that could touch it, even supercars I would say to an extend. And then in the freak occurance something was giving me a challange I would engage my NOS just to make sure! \:D/
loadswine

Post by loadswine »

Thing is the Roadster is all about going round the corners. That's where its most fun. Fun is what its all about, not massive power really.
If a straight line dragster is desired, there are better alternatives for that.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

loadswine wrote:Thing is the Roadster is all about going round the corners. That's where its most fun. Fun is what its all about, not massive power really.

No reason why you can't have both. 8)
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

dellams wrote:lol cool, never heard that before. :) I think im one of those, but do like putting it into corners too.

But after crashing my 1st rev1 tubby within the 1st week of owning it it kinda put the fear in me so only floor it on straights after that! I made the mistake of trying to change gear on a corner, think I wobbled thje sterrign wheel a bit since wasnt use to the power!

It also had budget tyers on at the time since not had chance to change them yet and prob hit a bit of ice or water which didnt help!

I snaked left and then right and then 360'ed onto the other side of the road and slammed into a mud bank with the rear and then spun round and hit the front too! :(

So you changed gear on a corner and wobbled the steering wheel, and had budget tyres, and hit ice or water?!

I think you just used up all your mr2 crashing excuses in one go! :lol:

You should have saved some for next time ;)
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Rogue wrote:
loadswine wrote:Thing is the Roadster is all about going round the corners. That's where its most fun. Fun is what its all about, not massive power really.

Patrick - that is one phenominal build - you are responsible for me not doing much work since Lunch!!! :oldtongue:

You really should update the customers cars section on your web to show some of the work put into these projects! (Please :clown: )

Neil
ashley

Post by ashley »

RobCrezz wrote:

Still got the diesel on the road card :clown:
dellams

Post by dellams »

RobCrezz wrote:
dellams wrote:lol cool, never heard that before. :) I think im one of those, but do like putting it into corners too.

So you changed gear on a corner and wobbled the steering wheel, and had budget tyres, and hit ice or water?!

Yeah I know! Tell me about it! lol Thats the sort of luck I have! Hence why I am very tame on corners now, only time Im not is on the track! :)
dellams

Post by dellams »

Rogue wrote:

I agree, and thats something I will def have in future! :thumleft:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

ekona wrote:The chassis can take 300+bhp no worries with a few bits of bracing (mainly a front strut brace and a mid-body plate) so it'll never be dangerous, but with that much power through a car that weighs so little and has a track + tyres miles too small for that sort of power (unless you've gone widebody with big rimz) then the car simply feels overpowered and becomes more of a SLJ machine than a nimble roadster. Each to their own and all that, but I personally think it ruins the essence of the car.

OVERPOWERED!................chicken

I dont think Mr Chapman designed the original 7 to take 500bhp/ton but the R500 seems to cope pretty well.

Obviously if anyone is planning on increasing the power of a car by a significant amount as much, if not more, time/money should be spent on the suspension, brakes and tyres.
dellams

Post by dellams »

aw11rally wrote:
ekona wrote:The chassis can take 300+bhp no worries with a few bits of bracing (mainly a front strut brace and a mid-body plate) so it'll never be dangerous, but with that much power through a car that weighs so little and has a track + tyres miles too small for that sort of power (unless you've gone widebody with big rimz) then the car simply feels overpowered and becomes more of a SLJ machine than a nimble roadster. Each to their own and all that, but I personally think it ruins the essence of the car.

OVERPOWERED!................chicken

I dont think Mr Chapman designed the original 7 to take 500bhp/ton but the R500 seems to cope pretty well.

Obviously if anyone is planning on increasing the power of a car by a significant amount as much, if not more, time/money should be spent on the suspension, brakes and tyres.

Yeah sound advice there unless of course your bored of life and want to go out in style! ;)

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”