Clutch Issues

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FizzyBlueMr2

Clutch Issues

Post by FizzyBlueMr2 »

Hi,

A friend of mine recently bought a modded mr2 tubby (rev 3), which has had uprated cams fitted, all the usual extras etc, and is apparantly running 320bhp or so...

.... problem is he can't use all those horses at the mo as the clutch is slipping. :( Now, if I recall correctly I think the PO said it had a TRD clutch fitted? Is there anyway to tell which clutch is fitted without taking the gearbox off etc?

The reason I ask is that I believe that a lot of uprated clutches allow you to change just the friction plate/clutch plate, rather than replacing the entire clutch. Is this true?

Alternatively, anybody recommend a good aftermarket clutch that will handle 320 bhp? I don't think the boost is wound too high though, so no idea on the torque levels.

My own car has a helix clutch fitted, and I really like it. Think fensport do them for £300 or so??

Anybody happen to know of a good place to get said parts from at short notice? He would ideally like to get it all sorted in the next few days as its pretty undrivable as is..... :(

Thanks!

- Ian.
gtschris.com

Re: Clutch Issues

Post by gtschris.com »

Fizzy wrote:Hi,

A friend of mine recently bought a modded mr2 tubby (rev 3), which has had uprated cams fitted, all the usual extras etc, and is apparantly running 320bhp or so...

.... problem is he can't use all those horses at the mo as the clutch is slipping. :( Now, if I recall correctly I think the PO said it had a TRD clutch fitted? Is there anyway to tell which clutch is fitted without taking the gearbox off etc?

The reason I ask is that I believe that a lot of uprated clutches allow you to change just the friction plate/clutch plate, rather than replacing the entire clutch. Is this true?

Alternatively, anybody recommend a good aftermarket clutch that will handle 320 bhp? I don't think the boost is wound too high though, so no idea on the torque levels.

My own car has a helix clutch fitted, and I really like it. Think fensport do them for £300 or so??

Anybody happen to know of a good place to get said parts from at short notice? He would ideally like to get it all sorted in the next few days as its pretty undrivable as is..... :(

Thanks!

- Ian.

my helix from fensport only lasted 2500 miles and cost £400!

I sell a nice kit ideal for 320bhp
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 43330&rd=1
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
steve b

Re: Clutch Issues

Post by steve b »

that looks just like my clutch, is it a SPEC stage3 ? funky product sell them for £240
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .

Return to “Mechanical”