SMT gearbox common failures?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lewis Jay

SMT gearbox common failures?

Post by Lewis Jay »

Is SMT gearbox failure a common thing on the triptronic MK3?

Anybody had issues, are they generally a easy fix?
Rowland

Re: SMT gearbox common failures?

Post by Rowland »

I wouldn't say it's a common failure, more if they DO fail things can get very costly very quickly.
Information is often sketchy regarding the SMT and often Toyota themselves will draw a blank at problems and pass problem to an auto-electronics problem.

I've owned both SMT and manual.
Early SMT's are slightly slower on change-up due to a software change which can be a tad annoying.
Only once did my SMT play up in two years and it did leave me in lurch somewhat. However it wasn't a mechanical issue it was more a case of disconnect the battery and somehow the glitch was forgotten.

Manual in my opinon is far preferably to SMT.
Drive both if you're looking at buying and weigh up prices to get a feel for what's gonna' be best for you.

Rowland

:thumleft:
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Thanks Rowland,

Been looking at a 2001 car, owner says it needs SMT actuator pump, was wondering on cost of repair, and how easy it would be swap myself.

Lewis.
RoadsterBoy

Post by RoadsterBoy »

Lewis Jay wrote:Thanks Rowland,

Been looking at a 2001 car, owner says it needs SMT actuator pump, was wondering on cost of repair, and how easy it would be swap myself.

Lewis.

I may have just been unlucky, but having had 2 smt failures on mine in 5 years then I'll stay clear of them in the future and would advise anyone else to do the same. As has been mentioned, info on the exact rate & cause of failures is a little sketchy (even with dealers), but there is a smt specific forum over on spyderchat where it seems to have been pinpointed the failure to a valve in the actuator that eventually fails causing the pump to over work and leak hydraulic fluid. This eventually leads to a complete refusal to shift gears and lack of drive.

Cost wise, then the oem warranty piad for my first failure but it took them about 3 months or so iirc to sort it, while the 2nd failure cost me about £2k as my 3rd party warranty didn't cover it, although you should be ok if you go for the Mr T extended warranty, although iirc there is a 7 year/60000m limit which may rule out the 2001 car you're looking at.

When I was last looking into, there was no 3rd party supply of actuators, although there was some thought that it was a customized bmw unit..
DIY fit would probably be possible as istr that there is a tech bulletin available online somewhere that shows the process.

There will probably be plenty of others to choose from, so unless you fancy the challenge and don't require it as an immediate daily driver, then I'd steer well clear of any smt where the owner states it needs a new actuator..
Last edited by RoadsterBoy on Sun May 17, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Cheers,

Will have a nosey through the spyder forum, do you have any links to the topics threads you found?

The cars going cheap but if there is no 3rd party supplier and I have to but parts from Mr.T its not worth it.
RoadsterBoy

Post by RoadsterBoy »

tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

its prob actuator pump assembly have changed 2 of these this year they seem to fail around the 70000 mile mark customer took one away to get repaired but could find no one to repair them, think the job in total cost approx £2500 mostly cost of the pump should have a fault code stored in e.c.u, you will also need special fluid for pump assembly
Last edited by tarmac terrorist on Sun May 17, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Thanks guys have read the threads and there seems be a general consensus that it will cost about £2000 to fix and thats to much.

Lewis.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”