how do i stop my coolant gurgling

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AM TUNING

how do i stop my coolant gurgling

Post by AM TUNING »

ive had a problem with overheating on my car which is now curied

ive replaced the head gasget with a trd 1.4 mm one and the head was skimed and pressure tested and replaced the boltd with arp ones

when swiching it off it still gurgles , there is no water loss and it has a toms high pressure cap on it,and it has been bled correctley

i know most do this BUT if i stop for 5 mins and get back into the car the temp gauge is above half , as soon as i run the engine it drops back down ,

i been looking into trd thermostates but at 47 quid plus postage and plus vat thats about 60 quid for a poxy state

the engine is performing perfect other than that, but after the money its cost so far i just dont trust it anymore ,
raymond.harper

Re: how do i stop my coolant gurgling

Post by raymond.harper »

In all cars the temperature will rise after the engine has switched off. But as your car is a turbo you are supposed the let the car idle for a few minutes to allow the engine to cool down. This is why Turbo owners fit a Timer to allow the engine to cool down properly after running. Indeed it is quire dangerous not to allow the engine on a turbo to cool down. You may also have an airlock. After replacing the head the system should have been bled using the two bleed valves in the front compartment.On a more sinister note the head could be blowing causing a build up of water pressure hence the gurgling. This would not mean that car would be losing coolant at fist but it would be worth checking the overflow tank. Also check the enginee bay cooling fans are working properly and retorque the cylinder head bolts
Morphius_MR2

Post by Morphius_MR2 »

Dude dont worry about it they all do it to an extent (what I gather from previous posts)
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

This is perfectly normal in the turbo engines, and to a certain extent in the NA engines aswell, mine gurgles everytime

It is because as water heats up it expands, thats why the pipes go hard when the water is up to tempertaure. You hear it cooling after the engine has stopped at the highest point which is the filler cap. It is not exhaust gases in your cooling system if thats what your thinking.

Also you dont actually need a cooling period on a water cooled turbo it helps a little but greatly increases the life of oil only cooled turbos, drive without much boost for the last minute or two and you can turn the engine off without having to worry,

Graeme
AM TUNING

Post by AM TUNING »

i know its normal for them to do it but i want to try and cure it ,,,

any one know where i can get a cooler thermostate other than fensport????
Castlegrayskull

Post by Castlegrayskull »

mine doesn't .. however ... my supra used to do it .. just before the Head gasket started to go!
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Any decent motor factors will be able to supply several different ratings of thermostat. Don't buy into the game of 'performance' thermostats and the like.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

You dont want a cool running thermostat either, the engines coolant is kept to a certain temperature for an efficent burn in the cylinders, also the oil temperature is a directly affected by the change in coolant temperature reducing the lubricating effect of the oil.

Another thing is the idle speed of the engine is affected by the coolant temperature and the ecu also takes a temperature reading and alters timing etc when the engine is cold.

These performance thermostats are not an ideal thing for any car, if it made the car run better they would put them in as standard, if the head gasket goes or another problem occurs that causes the coolant to boil up, the temperature of your thermostat wont make any difference!

Graeme

Return to “Mechanical”