Best spark plugs for mr2 turbo

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

paul t

Best spark plugs for mr2 turbo

Post by paul t »

Whats the best spark plugs for my turbo and what gaps to set them at ,its a rev2 turbo with rev3 ecu loom etc and what leads should i use .Thanks paul
Leon.

Re: Best spark plugs for mr2 turbo

Post by Leon. »

There's no doubt different opinions on this but I do know what works well.

For leads, stick with Toyota OEM leads, I think most people on the forum accept this now! I've still got the badly fitting Magnecors on mine :oops:

For plugs, NGK iridium plugs at grade 7 should do you nicely. They should come pre-gapped to 0.8mm which is correct unless you're running a lot of power. They should cost you around £25 from a motor factor and should last 20-30k miles+ but get them checked yearly. Any hesitation in boost, change them.

:D
paul t

Post by paul t »

They are the plugs i have got and they are not that old some one said about the copper ones are better, but i will have to look at the gap as i have a bad mis at 6k and the car is running 15 psi.Paul
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

I'd suggest it is your plugs. Someone saying they look good is not good enough IMO, change them and then see. I bet that's what the problem is, your desciption of a misfire high in the rev range is a classic spark plug issue!

I do know that Thor racing tuners don't use anything but iridium plugs when mapping cars as others don't handle the heat as well IIRC...
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

BKR7e from spark-plugs.co.uk are under a tenner. Swap them out every 5000 miles or so with the oil and you'll never have to worry about a weak spark or bits of platinum falling into your engine.
paul t

Post by paul t »

I will just fit new ones and i will know it will be right, its like the boost is blowing the spark out and thanks for that web page i will have a look on there now and what gap do you use with them plugs .Paul
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

.8mm which they come gapped at.
paul t

Post by paul t »

Do you use them ones or a colder grade ones.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

7e is a grade colder, 6e are stock.
paul t

Post by paul t »

My brother just told me that as well :oops:
Club Tropicana

Post by Club Tropicana »

Just to confirm - I bought some BKR6E for my Rev3 turbo running stock boost, because I heard on here that these provide the best spark (but need need changing with an oil change). Are these definatley OK for a standard rev3 turbo?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

They should be ok but I'm not an expert. People often use grade 7 even on stock turbos because they handle the heat better basically.

No harm in trying grade 7 next time and see if it makes any difference... FYI grade 6 is used on N/As.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

IMHO BKR6e's are perfect for the stock turbo. 7's are only needed if you track the car or are running more boost as they help draw heat away from the cylinder.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

jonb- wrote:BKR7e from spark-plugs.co.uk are under a tenner. Swap them out every 5000 miles or so with the oil and you'll never have to worry about a weak spark or bits of platinum falling into your engine.

BKR7Es from spark-plugs.co.uk work out at £12.22 inc. delivery etc. www.mister-solutions.co.uk come in at £8.39 inc. delivery.

I don't know how they do it (especially as some places try to sell them for nearly £20 ex. delivery!) but they've been in business a little while now and I've used them before with no problems. I know it's only £4 difference, but every quid counts when you're running an MR2 :D
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

As an Accountant, I'd express that as a percentage - a 31% saving sounds far better than £4.

BTW, fitting too cold a plug can cause problems also: the plug tip needs to be in a certain heat range to "clean" itself of carbon deposits.

All of this is on google if you look for it, but as with everything there's a trade off somewhere.

hth

Ian
paul t

Post by paul t »

I had a set of bkr7e today from a local partco and they cost me 7.76 all in price and they had them in stock as well.Paul
lukem

Post by lukem »

BKR7EVX

www.mister-solutions.co.uk £5.71 ea
www.sparkplugs.co.uk £6.72 ea

??
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

lukem wrote:BKR7EVX

www.mister-solutions.co.uk £5.71 ea
www.sparkplugs.co.uk £6.72 ea

??

BKR7E = copper
BKR7EVX = platinum
BKR7EIX = iridium
lukem

Post by lukem »

ah, i see. isn't this why people are finding such a price difference? think prices being quoted around £20 are for the platinum ones, but the plugs being found for 4 below a tenner are just the copper ones.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

lukem wrote:ah, i see. isn't this why people are finding such a price difference? think prices being quoted around £20 are for the platinum ones, but the plugs being found for 4 below a tenner are just the copper ones.

Indeed. Although I have seen the copper ones being sold for £20 a set on ebay.

If you don't mind replacing them yourself, the cost difference per mile is negligible, plus you know you have good clean plugs in there all the time. They all do the same job, they just don't last the same amount of time/miles. No chance of the copper ones falling apart either!

Return to “Mechanical”