Hello and some noobie Mk1 questions

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MartG

Re: Hello and some noobie Mk1 questions

Post by MartG »

Talk to these guys

http://www.reddragonautomotive.com/

They prep the cars for the MR2 challenge so should be able to sort out a cage for you
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

System-G wrote:If you still have not bought a MKI, look for the early (1a) Pre '87 without body kit (as pictured above in Limey's post) also have a moon roof (sun roof) rather than T-Bars and are already slightly lighter than the 1a/b's with OEM body kits and T-Bars.

As far as rear spoiler is concerned, IMO it would not alter air-flow through the engine bay if removed as air is taken into the engine bay from the underside of the car. Air moving over the roof creates a "vaccume" over the the engine bay lid thus drawing air up from under the car (if that makes sense...). This is also where the whole concept of bunny ears (air scoops) breaks apart.
The spoiler itself I'd imagine only ads to downforce - and being RWD, it's quite important (unlike some chaved up hatch backs with bi-plane wings stuck on with pritstick :roll: )

Good luck with the project and welcome to IMOC 8)

I'm not convinced that the MK1 spoiler creates any downfarce at all. After looking at it when driving in rain there is only some slight patterns of rain being blown over the outer edges of the spoiler, which wouldn't really contribute much. I reckon its purely a styling cue.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
G_T_smith

Post by G_T_smith »

Having never done a track day, I might be talking cr*p here, but will the weight of the skirts and spoiler really make that much difference? :?
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Weight can make a big difference. Although a skirt or a spoiler may not weigh a huge amount, the culmative amount can be large. I had a Charade GTti race car and every panel from the interior, seats, glass, washer bottles, spare wheel, excess loom, etc, etc were removed and it made alarge difference. Instead of spending money on tuning an afternoon with a spanner had impressive results. This time i will weigh everything to see how much weight is removed. I`m guessing there will be a fair weight that can be removed.
MartG

Post by MartG »

The problem with removing the skirts and front spoiler to lose weight is that they are all low down, so one effect is to raise the centre of gravity, leading to more roll in corners.
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Well i`ve decided to leave them well alone now so we`ll see what weight can be released from the interior.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Have a look at Lauren's website http://www.trackdayqueen.com/ for ideas on what you can strip out.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Ask Lauren how much benefit there is from removing the bitumen sound deadening, I think she weighed it :shock:
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Thanks guys, i`ve had a look, its very helpful. I`ll be looking into the feasibility of taking the dash out as well as they weigh alot.
Nepherim

Post by Nepherim »

Here's the same picture, with some interesting notes: http://www.carpron.com/multisite/v/Uplo ... o.jpg.html

~ ~ Dave
MR2 Wiki
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

kevin..in wrote:Ask Lauren how much benefit there is from removing the bitumen sound deadening, I think she weighed it :shock:

IIRC its around 8kg... honest i put it all in a carrier bag and weighed it!
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Well i`ve picked up a car now and its a Mk1a, so i`m lighter for a start, so when i get time i`ll get things weighed and photographed. There`s some photos of my car here if anyone is interested (done on my phone!):

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scarfa ... .dir=/4915
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Scarface GTti wrote:Well i`ve picked up a car now and its a Mk1a, so i`m lighter for a start, so when i get time i`ll get things weighed and photographed. There`s some photos of my car here if anyone is interested (done on my phone!):

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scarfa ... .dir=/4915

you know its missing the front spoiler and the rubbing strips?
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Oops, no i didn`t. I`ll have to find a good photo of a 1a to compare and see whats what.
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Ah, o.k. I`ve had a look, no rubbing strips is good as they`d have come off anyway and from what i can make out its just missing a lip spoiler? as mine shouldn`t have the full spoiler. Mines a March `85 so presumably a pretty early model?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Scarface GTti wrote:Ah, o.k. I`ve had a look, no rubbing strips is good as they`d have come off anyway and from what i can make out its just missing a lip spoiler? as mine shouldn`t have the full spoiler. Mines a March `85 so presumably a pretty early model?

yep is just a small spoiler on the front. march 85 is pretty early yes. Would be more interesting to know when it was made however and how early the chassis number is, ie is it below a 1000?

My car is Jan 86 and its in the 6000s.
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Ref. chassis number - where is it in the car? I`ll nip and have a look.
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

In the front, i`m 11,900 or so.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Scarface GTti wrote:In the front, i`m 11,900 or so.

thats sounds a bit high tbh! it can't be higher than mine as mine is a later car. are you sure its not 900 or so? you aren't counting the '11' of AW11 as the number are you?
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

No, AW1100011900

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”