Can you get the MK3 MR2 as a turbo?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adamshaw

Can you get the MK3 MR2 as a turbo?

Post by adamshaw »

As above - is the MK3 avaliable as a turbo?

if so what specs can be said of these babies?
aaronjb

Re: Can you get the MK3 MR2 as a turbo?

Post by aaronjb »

Only aftermarket turbo kits or engine conversions, not from the factory (though there is a TTE turbo kit, which is at least semi linked to Toyota)
steve b

Post by steve b »

The mk3's have some engine issues though, highly accelerated bore ware, engines going pop in quite high numbers with as little as 40,000 miles on them,.. and thats without turboing them :(
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Not strictly true, and certainly not in high numbers.

Yes, pre-cat destruction has been known to take out a couple of engines, but as soon as you bolt a turbo on you remove the main manifold containing the pre-cats, therefore making the engine 100% more reliable.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

BenF may be the person to speak to regarding this... He is currently running a mk3 turbo kit :D
ImageImage
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

He's not the only one :wink:

FWIW, my Stage II Hass kit is putting out 224bhp@flywheel on 5psi of boost, which is a similar power output to Ben's PE kit at 7psi. And that's quite enough power for me in the winter on cold roads, thankyouverymuch!
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

ekona wrote:He's not the only one :wink:

*mutters* :lol:

Not forgetting Sean, Mark, Tom and Ste (Hass, Hass, Hass and C2 Power) in the UK at present.. and another one or two PE kits, I believe (the guy with the black car, and wherever Perry's old kit went).

And Adam's 2ZZ-GE conversion :twisted:

No 2ZZ turbos in the UK yet, though..

I wonder if you could use a 2ZZ bottom end & 1ZZ top end (to lose the VVT-L gear, since you don't need the restrictive cam profile at low revs with a turbo) with aftermarket cams. :-k
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

aaronjb wrote:
ekona wrote:He's not the only one :wink:

*mutters* :lol:

Not forgetting Sean, Mark, Tom and Ste (Hass, Hass, Hass and C2 Power) in the UK at present.. and another one or two PE kits, I believe (the guy with the black car, and wherever Perry's old kit went).

And Adam's 2ZZ-GE conversion :twisted:

No 2ZZ turbos in the UK yet, though..

I wonder if you could use a 2ZZ bottom end & 1ZZ top end (to lose the VVT-L gear, since you don't need the restrictive cam profile at low revs with a turbo) with aftermarket cams. :-k

If that's Sean with the UK spec red 6 speed roadster he has our Turbo Conversion which is Charge Cooled and makes 235 bhp at the hubs @ 5 psi. We got 260 bhp at the hubs at 8psi but the clutch had words. These have proper equal length stainless manifolds and a hi flow CAT so pass all the MOT requirments. We also have a ECU with proper VVTi-L control and throttle by wire in a stand alone system come very soon.

We have also mapped two 2ZZ-GE Turbo Celica's so there must be at least two of them in the UK ;).

Nod.
Slacey

Post by Slacey »

THOR-Racing wrote:If that's Sean with the UK spec red 6 speed roadster he has our Turbo Conversion which is Charge Cooled.......

No; I was the black '02 spec car with the first Hass kit in the country - you guys mapped my car back in May last year. Impressive numbers from your kit though - I must stop by when I'm next over that way and take a look.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Mk3 Turbo here *waves*

Power Enterprise's Turbo BTW ~200 ish bhp with Greddy Emange and no intercooler. Yet :shock:
craig

Post by craig »

Rowland wrote:Mk3 Turbo here *waves*

Power Enterprise's Turbo BTW ~200 ish bhp with Greddy Emange and no intercooler. Yet :shock:

Moving to meber profiles....

just kidding :lol: :lol:
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

RedMR² wrote:

www.dictionary.com

:wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Rowland wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

www.dictionary.com

:wink:

thanks for that, interesting site. Learnt a few new words. :whistle: :lol:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Slacey wrote:
THOR-Racing wrote:If that's Sean with the UK spec red 6 speed roadster he has our Turbo Conversion which is Charge Cooled.......

No; I was the black '02 spec car with the first Hass kit in the country - you guys mapped my car back in May last year. Impressive numbers from your kit though - I must stop by when I'm next over that way and take a look.

I'll let you know Sean, as I'm taking my car down there on Saturday to get it tuned and sorted.

Agreed on the power figures though, very impressive.
Slacey

Post by Slacey »

Are you staying there for the day or doing a drop and run? If you are there for a while I might call in...
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Unfortunately not: The car needs all the electrics sorting out properly (not the bodge job I've made of it! :oops:), so I'll be leaving the car with them and hopefully picking it up next Saturday (if it's ready and I have time to get up there and back before the meal).

I can give you a buzz when I'm nearly there if you want? How long would it take you to get there?
Slacey

Post by Slacey »

About 3/4 hour I reckon.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Okay bud, well I'll give you a shout when I'm about 45 mins away from there and see if you fancy popping along.
Slacey

Post by Slacey »

What sort of time are you aiming to get there? PM me here or on ROC as we are drifting OT somewhat....
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

adamshaw wrote:As above - is the MK3 avaliable as a turbo?

if so what specs can be said of these babies?

My ears are burning :)

I spent a lot of time looking at Turbo'ing Roadsters last year.

Short answer - not offically directly from Toyota. There are various aftermarket kits that you can buy and fit that are now well proven on various different cars. Off the top of my head, there are :

- The TTE Turbo kit from Toyota. This one has has approval from Toyota and doesn't loose your warranty on the car. Its ~184bhp and they also add various additional bits of bracing to the car.

- The Hass Autoworks kit - Based on a GT-25 Turbo. Probably one of the first independent tuner kits - Hass are based in the USA. There's quite a long wait for kits to be delivered, but there are at least three here in the UK - Slacey and ekona both have this kit. This one produces good power figures from low boost due to the turbo relatively large size - 250bhp i seasily possible.

- The Power Enterprises kit. This is the one that Rowland and I both have - its based on a small IHI turbo and is designed to be bolt-on with minimal effort. The kit I've got has had some customisation and includes a chargecooler and fifth injector. Its running 220bhp @ 7psi - I think the kit as standard out of the box offers 190bhp.

There are other options too - C2 Power in Turkey has a GT-26 based kit available too, and Rogue Systems is working on a 3S-GTE conversion for a Roadster.

Bear in mind that the Roadster is around 975kgs, a 220bhp turbo conversion gives the same power/weight ratio as a 280bhp Tuned MK2 Turbo - but due to the lighter weight has improved handling and progressiveness on the limit. Having owned Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 I have to say the Mk3 is great fun around the track - but I use my Mk1 as a trackday tool as I can afford to break/ bend / fix things on it :)

To give you and idea: Roadster footage from Elvington:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17632

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”