[Mk2] [Turbo] What is a good wearing tyre ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] What is a good wearing tyre ?

Post by Martin F »

I bought two hankook rear tyres and they are pretty much needing replaced after only 3000 ish miles.
They suffer very little abuse and have never been spun up however the car is outting out nearly 500 bhp. I do sometimes feel them slip on third gear pulls i guess :-k

I would like to replace them with a tyre that will last longer. I don't want to spent top dollar either, any recommendations please ? :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What is a good wearing tyre ?

Post by raptor95GTS »

er 500bhp and you want cheap rear tyres? Try turning the boost down to nothing and that'll help. Failing that, some really cheap tyres with a tread rating of 400+ should do you but dont expect any traction.

edit: maybe I was a little harsh but I run 250BHP and had PS2 Michelin on the rears and now running Advan AD08R's all round. I'd rather have grip than wheelspin
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I run AD08R what a fantastic tyre.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

raptor95GTS wrote:er 500bhp and you want cheap rear tyres? Try turning the boost down to nothing and that'll help. Failing that, some really cheap tyres with a tread rating of 400+ should do you but dont expect any traction.

edit: maybe I was a little harsh but I run 250BHP and had PS2 Michelin on the rears and now running Advan AD08R's all round. I'd rather have grip than wheelspin

I don't wheelspin but i think i now get a small amount in 3rd when the torque kicks in (for just a split second).
Ok, maybe i worded my question wrong, what i would like is a tyre that won't need replaced after 3k miles, have good grip and not cost £250 per tyre :wink:

anything ok for £120-£200 per side ? I will have a look at the advans BTW, cheers :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

androo007 wrote:I run AD08R what a fantastic tyre.

Another one for the AD08R, Thanks dude, How's your motor coming along now anyway ?
Decided to keep my mr2 on the road. I was going to get a cheaper daily and buy a TT rs but the mr2 is so quick in a straight line i would be mad to spend 25k on the TT with the way it is going to depreciate in the next couple of years. :pale:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Michelin pilot sport 4, I run them on my daily they're outstanding for a road tyre, the group tests rate them highly too..
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Having a quick look online, found these, black c. around £165, openo don't stock them though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-NEW-YOKOH ... SwT~9Wkm1u

be great if i get them for that price i guess :-k
Hez

Post by Hez »

Ad08r I run 225/45/16 and they grip well on a gt3082r at 1.8 bar I would be surprised if there is another road tyre to match it.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Hez wrote:Ad08r I run 225/45/16 and they grip well on a gt3082r at 1.8 bar I would be surprised if there is another road tyre to match it.

Excellent stuff, Ad08r are the ones i am going for, thanks for all the advice guys :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Dont scrimp on tyres!
The ad08r are brilliant grip but esentially a track tyre and will easily wear down.

As metioned before youll be best off paying good money for a proper road tyre, pirelli p zero, mich pilot sport 4s are my two tyres of choice..

If you want tyres to last ages, turn boost down and buy some auto grip tyres. They seem to be made of a unwearable rubber, my brother hsd some for 10k and they never wore... no grip ever but never needed to replace them

Is grip vs wear... hence why i say you best with the pzero or pilot sports....
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

pistol pete wrote:Dont scrimp on tyres!
The ad08r are brilliant grip but esentially a track tyre and will easily wear down.

As metioned before youll be best off paying good money for a proper road tyre, pirelli p zero, mich pilot sport 4s are my two tyres of choice..

If you want tyres to last ages, turn boost down and buy some auto grip tyres. They seem to be made of a unwearable rubber, my brother hsd some for 10k and they never wore... no grip ever but never needed to replace them

Is grip vs wear... hence why i say you best with the pzero or pilot sports....

HaHa, Back to square one now :? , :(
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote:Michelin pilot sport 4, I run them on my daily they're outstanding for a road tyre, the group tests rate them highly too..

Sorry, i missed your post Rob,

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/m ... #149051164

So you think these would be my best option ? :-k
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Martin F wrote:
C35Rob wrote:Michelin pilot sport 4, I run them on my daily they're outstanding for a road tyre, the group tests rate them highly too..

Yeah i run them on my focus, 400hp through the front wheels.. and they cope well with that, thats my daily and get around 10k out of them id not a bit more, im not gentle with them
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

pistol pete wrote:
Martin F wrote:

Yeah i run them on my focus, 400hp through the front wheels.. and they cope well with that, thats my daily and get around 10k out of them id not a bit more, im not gentle with them

Local garage has said £165 fitted per side so might as well go for that, thanks to all :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I had a pair fitted recently (225/40r18) at my local Costco for £208, plus I got a £20 voucher back as part of a Michelin promotion.. so once I'd spent the £20 on a bit of shopping they were only £188 fitted for the pair. It may be worth checking it out if there's a Costco local to you
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote:I had a pair fitted recently (225/40r18) at my local Costco for £208, plus I got a £20 voucher back as part of a Michelin promotion.. so once I'd spent the £20 on a bit of shopping they were only £188 fitted for the pair. It may be worth checking it out if there's a Costco local to you

The only things close to me are hills, awesome/quiet b roads and the loch ness monster. openo were the cheapest at £141 a tyre plus post so £165 fitted is reasonable. Remember my rear wheels are bigger because of the wide arch kit :wink:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Martin F wrote:

Another one for the AD08R, Thanks dude, How's your motor coming along now anyway ?
Decided to keep my mr2 on the road. I was going to get a cheaper daily and buy a TT rs but the mr2 is so quick in a straight line i would be mad to spend 25k on the TT with the way it is going to depreciate in the next couple of years. :pale:

Hey mate never ending but getting there. Hopefully next few weeks will get me up to where you were. Glad to hear you're keeping her.... money for hp it'd be crazy to sell. I'm seeing prices actually v poor for what they are, so it's the best bet pal. Keep strong
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

androo007 wrote:
Martin F wrote:

Hey mate never ending but getting there. Hopefully next few weeks will get me up to where you were. Glad to hear you're keeping her.... money for hp it'd be crazy to sell. I'm seeing prices actually v poor for what they are, so it's the best bet pal. Keep strong

Where i was or where i am ?

Lol, just went out to change an antiroll bar linkage to find the top bolt was almost loose ](*,) , the link was actually ok but i just replaced it anyway.
last person to work on that part of the car was s-bits, ](*,)

Funnily enough i just noticed the tyres were 275 not 255, haha #-o

Looking forward to seeing the finished article and hearing a nice review of what you think of how the car puts the power down. :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Heh, where you are pal :mrgreen: fingers crossed we get it nailed this time.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

275/35/18 pro sport 4, locally £225 per side

Got them from camskill for £161 per side, quite a substantial difference, local companies must hate the internet #-o

Thanks again for everyones help :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”