[All] [Generic] Car PC

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: [All] [Generic] Car PC

Post by Draven »

I will put some pictures up at some point.. just trying to get it through the MOT first.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:I've built a full install tablet with volume control and access to the OBD2 in my car. I've even added extra usb so Ican plug multiple things in. Works really well.

volume control isn't an issue really, only if I use VLC it is, I could have got a USB volume controller, it's just the power button that's an issue :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:I will put some pictures up at some point.. just trying to get it through the MOT first.

excellent, thanks man :thumleft:
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

sheppy wrote:
volume control isn't an issue really, only if I use VLC it is, I could have got a USB volume controller, it's just the power button that's an issue :(

can't you get a VLC remote on your smart phone?

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I've got a nexus 7 tablet.. It uses a custom rom which puts the tablet in a deep sleep when the charge is switched off and powers it up when power is returned. Using a OTG cable. It works great soon as you turn the ignition on it switches the tablet on and begins playing music from the point it last left off.

I would recommend using Poweramp to play muisc on the tablet it is much better than VLC for this purpose.

Ooo i just found a picture.

the problem is the custom rom only works on the Nexus 7. It also includes a really neat video shutdown when you turn it off. Displays an animated Toyota video.

I used wase for navigation also as it doesn't need to download the maps everytime you use the tablet as mine only has wifi. I've also installed BTSync which syncronises all my music with my home pc when I pull in the drive via the wifi.

:thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

I used a standard double din cage which i epoxied a pair of toyota stereo brackets to the tablet is ever so slightly angled towards the driver as well.

I then puchased a hard plastic snapon case which was epoxied to the front the of the cage. It had a horrible leather cover which i removed to just leave the plastic. I cut a square hole in the plastic cover and mounted a PC cpu heatsink in there in order to deal with the temperatures of the tablet. :wink:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Jaspa wrote:
sheppy wrote:

Stuart

Yeah I could use my phone as a mouse too but it defeats the purpose of the touchscreen :(

Draven that looks excellent, I'd have used the nexus 7 too but I needed the full version of windows 8 to run the G4 software :(

I do like the sound of that BTsync, I just have the tablet on the wireless network which is good but I have to do it manually, If I could get a player that paused the music while the tablet screen was off that'd be ideal, I guess I'm gonna have to just keep looking and see what available :)

Thanks for the input

Draven

Post by Draven »

Having the plastic snapon case means i can just remove the tablet leaving the rest of the system in situ. :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:I used a standard double din cage which i epoxied a pair of toyota stereo brackets to the tablet is ever so slightly angled towards the driver as well.

I then puchased a hard plastic snapon case which was epoxied to the front the of the cage. It had a horrible leather cover which i removed to just leave the plastic. I cut a square hole in the plastic cover and mounted a PC cpu heatsink in there in order to deal with the temperatures of the tablet. :wink:

I actually seen this idea last night, I may still trim the trim so I can have this sitting a bit more flush, I don't want it behind the trim now though as windows 8 works great with the swipe gestures! I can flick between music and G4 software just by flicking left to right, you do need to start beyond the screen though, Kinda like bringing up the wee toolbar thing on the iphone.
Draven

Post by Draven »

sheppy wrote:
Jaspa wrote:
sheppy wrote:

Stuart

Yeah I could use my phone as a mouse too but it defeats the purpose of the touchscreen :(

Draven that looks excellent, I'd have used the nexus 7 too but I needed the full version of windows 8 to run the G4 software :(

I do like the sound of that BTsync, I just have the tablet on the wireless network which is good but I have to do it manually, If I could get a player that paused the music while the tablet screen was off that'd be ideal, I guess I'm gonna have to just keep looking and see what available :)

Thanks for the input

yeah i did tons of research before I made my purchases. I wanted to know it would all work before I did. The charging and power down thing is the most important to get right. :mrgreen:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:Having the plastic snapon case means i can just remove the tablet leaving the rest of the system in situ. :thumleft:

yeah this is my plan so far too, the snap on case i mean :thumleft:

edit to answer last post, Yeah I wish I did a bit more research on fitment :( having a look at the unit now, I could have it sitting flush with the trim and just make a small notch in the bottom so I can access the buttons, sleep/charge/power etc isn't something I'm fussed about, the thing uses so little battery that it'll be left on all the time :)
Last edited by Ryan S on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Post by Draven »

sheppy wrote:
Draven wrote:I used a standard double din cage which i epoxied a pair of toyota stereo brackets to the tablet is ever so slightly angled towards the driver as well.

I actually seen this idea last night, I may still trim the trim so I can have this sitting a bit more flush, I don't want it behind the trim now though as windows 8 works great with the swipe gestures! I can flick between music and G4 software just by flicking left to right, you do need to start beyond the screen though, Kinda like bringing up the wee toolbar thing on the iphone.

If the screen itself is small enough you'll have space around the outside. the nexus 7 is a 7 inch screen and i've got a border. I did have to file the interior back at the very top of the tablet as the screen was underneath it. But after a lot of fettling I've got it looking really good.
Draven

Post by Draven »

the picture above is prior the filing of the top of the interior trim.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:
sheppy wrote:

If the screen itself is small enough you'll have space around the outside. the nexus 7 is a 7 inch screen and i've got a border. I did have to file the interior back at the very top of the tablet as the screen was underneath it. But after a lot of fettling I've got it looking really good.

no my screen isn't quite 7 inch, i think the tablet is 7 inch in total but as I said I do need to be aable to touch the edges of it :) the whole thing is JUST bigger than the double din hole :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Have you also thought about how you're going to get the sound the to amps?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

that is VERY neat man, if only Link made software for android ](*,)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:Have you also thought about how you're going to get the sound the to amps?

just gonna use the headphone jack, either keep the stereo mounted somwhere else (this would save a lot of hassle) or buy a 4 channel amp with thruput to the sub amps, Failing that I could do USB audio.
Draven

Post by Draven »

sheppy wrote:that is VERY neat man, if only Link made software for android ](*,)

Yeah there is your problem can't really help you with windows tablets. From my small use of them they are rubbish in comparison to Android.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm not sure on their compatibilty with windows 8 tablets. I bought a USB DAC to use with my tablet. I didn't want to have any remains of a Head unit in the car. The DAC works as a pre amp and drastically improves the quality of the sound coming out. In fact i'd say it sounds better now than it did with my Sony Headunit.

i've also custom modded the cigarette lighter. It now has a USB extension cable running to it i've cut up a regular usb to cigarette lighter connector and glued it inside. So i can plug a USB memory stick into it and it gets mounted on my tablet.
Last edited by Draven on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:
sheppy wrote:that is VERY neat man, if only Link made software for android ](*,)

Yeah there is your problem can't really help you with windows tablets. From my small use of them they are rubbish in comparison to Android.

I thought so too but I'm gobsmacked at how fast this wee thing is, it only has 1Gb of ram too!! For music and monitoring the G4 this is the way to go, unless an android version of the g4 software comes out! Also, this is only £75 new :shock: :shock:

Return to “ICE and Security”